• This topic has 55 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Bad cyclist gets lorry driver unfairly convicted…..
  • iain1775
    Free Member

cant get link to work but its Osmaston Road/Shaftsbury Street junction in Derby if anyone wants to view on google maps

xyeti
    Free Member

Gummi, if you actually believe that you can go sailing up the inside of vehicles driving down a road intending left then there is no point arguing any different, I know what the Highway Code says and I know how to drive a car and ride a bike.

I would NEVER follow a car down a SINGLE carriageway road and when it indicated and slowed To turn left duck in and fly up his inside because he didn’t know how to drive, it’s not OK to undertake and it’s not up to all road users to understand this. Certain circumstances dictate that yes you can nip up the inside or outside and occupy a cycling box or lane and others dictate that it’s dam right dangerous, putting yourself in this situation riding on a road is crazy, expecting other road users to know you are there is also a bit pig headed. The roads are dangerous and we as cyclists should know better when we are driving our cars I know I try to be,

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

https://goo.gl/maps/nHzSCUCpj6A2

That is a truly terrible design, especially at the entrance to what looks like an industrial estate used by numerous lorries. The design indicates that a cyclist on the left has priority over a vehicle on the right turning left. (to be clear, that doesn’t mean i’m suggesting it’s a good idea to actually do that)

scaredypants

100% agree the driver is to blame and this in no way detracts from his part in this, however, the cyclist was still pretty stupid to go up the inside of a lorry indicating left.

[quote]the report states the cyclist went up the inside? and that the lorry was indicating?[/quote]
    The report in the link says it was the defence lawyer who said the driver had indicated and the cyclist undertook

Must be true then 🙄

gummikuh

Xyeti, Have you seen the junction where this happened?

It is a cycle lane that crosses a junction, key word being lane, the driver must have crossed the lane to collide with the cyclist, the onus was on the truck driver to confirm it was safe to proceed, the cyclist was travelling in a designated cycle lane which did not require him to stop anywhere.

Maybe it is to much to ask that all road users understand and practice the highway code.

But it may be worth reading rule 211, as it makes mention of filtering.

It is the very least to expect that all road users keep there eyes open and aware of what is going on around them, I don’t think that is pig headed. Could even come under “due care and attention”?

I applaud your safe and cautious approach to cycling.

simmy
    Free Member

I’m extremely cautious when filtering since I had a women passenger fling open the door of a Transit as I was creeping up the nearside.

The lights had just gone red so I knew no one was going to move off and I didn’t hit the door, but she scared the **** out of me.

ossify

My point is an indicator or a sticker is not an excuse for dangerous driving.

It is OK for cycles to undertake, it is up to other road users to understand this.

It is a SHARED space no-one is higher up the food chain.

There is a big difference between filtering and undertaking (implying that both vehicles are moving at speed).

Anyway, even if what you say is true (which it is, to a point) that doesn’t mean cyclists shouldn’t be careful regardless. Don’t go up the inside of a lorry just because it’s technically allowed and the onus is on the driver to look before turning.

Yes the lorry driver should have been paying attention and looked in his mirror before turning. However if it’s true that the cyclist was sailing up the inside, odds are the driver could not have seen him even if he had looked. Granted that lorries need better mirrors!

It is the very least to expect that all road users keep there eyes open and aware of what is going on around them

Yes but it’s safest to assume that everyone else on the road is on the phone, eating a sandwich and playing with the radio all at the same time 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

Cheers Horatio, that’s the one

xyeti
    Free Member

Gummi, just because the Highway Code says it that doesn’t mean road users adhere to it, 211 is fine until you read the code properly and then it contradicts itself, more than once. Which makes it about as relevant as the corsa post?

Riding a bike is just a bit of common sense, im not trying to preach to the converted I’m just trying to explain that if you ride your bike as per the good book then you are not giving yourself a fair advantage, drivers do all sorts whilst driving along, due care and attention isn’t something which takes priority whilst updating Facebook, texting, talking on phone etc.

MoreCashThanDash

the entrance to what looks like an industrial estate

There is an “adult club” on that estate that – according to the landlord who was telling me all this- has just had a car installed so that they can go dogging indoors if the weather is bad. 😯

poly
    Free Member

you do all realise that he PLEADED GUILTY – so all your speculation about whether he was unfairly convicted is nonsense – he admitted driving carelessly (and as a result killing someone).

xyeti
    Free Member

Aaaapapap. Don’t you be coming on here with your hard facts and common sense attitude, there’ll be none of that ere, just stick to speculation and the Highway Code,

What sort of car was installed at these premises MCTD? And what colour was it, did you notice 😕

scaredypants

There is an “adult club” on that estate that – according to the landlord who was telling me all this- has just had a car installed so that they can go dogging indoors if the weather is bad.

😀

They should install a couple of turbo trainers for the folk who usually sneak up on the doggy carparks on night-rides. It’s only fair

MoreCashThanDash

At last, I’ve found a way of distracting the arguments on this kind of thread!

xyeti
    Free Member

It’s funny you should say that………. But a mate has been partaking in this illicit activity of an evening…….. During some of our winter training loops which I noticed he was doing on an evening whilst his lad was at Cubs I replicated in daylight hours and one of the other lads on the ride during daylight hours I might add said that this was a common dogging spot, thts funny I thought as laddo keeps popping up here of an evening and then nipping back On STRAVA as well the thick ****, I mentioned this the other day and he didn’t know where to put himself, I told him the Police had been up there with night vision cameras and had made a documentary, funny he’s not been up since? And now goes in the complete opposite direction.

He’s been getting some stick on the Strava messaging after a ride, and his sister in law is on his list, apparently she doesn’t know anything about dogging,

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bad cyclist gets lorry driver unfairly convicted…..’ is closed to new replies.