Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • Back in the day………………
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just found this from my first ever ride on my new Rockhopper, 1985 Green Cleugh straight over the bars.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you like crazy old brakes….

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/brake_obscura/mtb.html

tommid
    Free Member

M&P bikes sending out a bumper catalogue full of Clark Kent and Nuke proof hubs, Tioga disc wheels and lots of other retro goodies.
    JMC ripping it up.
    Heavy steel frames with one piece stem and bars.
    Thumb shifters all the way.
    Suspension being only suomething I had seen in MBI not available to mear mortals.

scruzer
    Free Member

Dream Bikes = Kona CinderCone, Explosif; Yo Eddy Fat Chance; Klein Adroit; Rocky Mountains (all of 'em)
    Heroes = Dave Hemming, JMC, Cazza, Barry Clarke et al
    Kit = Dodgey Specialized helmet with yellow 'hairnet'
    Dream bits = Kooka, Rigle, X-Lite
    Aspiring advert = Some bloke frollicking in a snow field through forest on a white Trek 7000(ish)and some wolf/dog thing alonside. Not sure why but always stuck in my mind (MBUK)oh and those Raleigh ads like the Dune Dancer bike…
    Reality = Dawes Rough Trade w/GS300 groupset and bio pace rings

Thank goodness for progress!!!!

sofatester
    Free Member

I remember when….

…we didn't worry so much and just rode our bikes up, over and down anything.

-Dart and Smoke tyres, i was amazed how grippy there where on the first outing.

-Ano bolts EVERYWHERE, purple of course.

-XT Thumbies being the best, not guessing the crunch and slip was so cool!

-Flexi stems, rubbish then and rubbish now.

-Gold Judy XC, 60mm of rubbertastic travel.

Good times 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Trail centre was the middle of the path.
    Dayglo lycra was where it was at.
    Bula hats where the thing to wear.
    STIs were cutting edge.
    Clipless meant flat pedals with no toeclips and straps.
    Riser bars were for shopping bikes.
    You could get grips for your brake levers.

anjs
    Free Member

oh and where would you be with out the old XT sharkfin on the chainstay

llama

nobody wore helmets

you could only buy a steel bike

suspension was laughed at

nobody knew what a mountain bike was

most things didn't work and kept breaking

jumpers for goalposts

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Spesh Hard Rock
    Biopace chainrings
    Shark fin chain stay protector
    Bright yellow toe straps
    Panaracer Smokes
    Big Mt Zefal pump that peeped out the top of my rucksac
    Ron Hill Tracksters 😯

I always wanted one of those little triangular frame bags and a "height rite" or whatever they were called.

Still got the Spesh, doing a permanent tour of duty at the in laws in Spain. No, the Smokes are no longer present

{EDIT}…and Chapel Gate was eminently easier to ride 😆

muggomagic

Kirk revolution with Amp research front forks

The MKS MXP-110 CLIPLESS MOUNTAIN PEDALS. The most dangerous pedals i ever rode with, as it was near impossible to get out of them as the cleats caught on the hook as you tried to release. If there were no lamp posts or trees nearby you hit the deck. Put me off clipless for quite sometime.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Did not see another MTB for a year and was asked constantly what I was on. We put mudguards on them because they went in the mud. And years later going to toe clips -when they came in.
    Still have on one or another bike: thumb shifters, pump-seat post, Bio-pace rings, Purple 'Chicken Sticks', full mudguards on a 'Stumpjumper', sharkfin, toe clips……….
    In boxes: cantis, more bio-pace rings, answer elastomer forks, another seat-post pump, narrow flat bars and very long stems,inc Flex-stem, and MBUK mag 1…..

Tiger6791

I remember all of this

Girvin Flexstem
    Farmer Johns (and uncle)
    Hi-Gear neon frame bags and pads
    Neon Cables (i had pink ones)
    Derailleur Guards
    15 Gears
    Sharkfins
    Biopace
    Ligne 7 Boots
    23inch Frames for 5'3" riders
    Magura Hydraulic Rim Brakes
    Onza bar ends
    XT was top of the range
    SIS indexed thumb shifters had a little switch to friction mode for the non believers.
    Campag and Suntour made MTB gears
    Toe clips were hardcore
    Project 2 forks were the best
    Brakes under the chain stays
    Helmet had a removeable fabric cover

We ruled Ilkley Moor and Otley Chevin

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Ballistic forks……..
    Worked great for an hour & a half then broke.

fatboyjon

Oh no, I've just remembered that I owned some pink Descente bib shorts. There's photographic evidence somewhere too.

Northwind

I'm not that old- so friction shift thumbie on the left, 6-speed SIS thumbie on the right, wen that was new and exciting, probably dates me best.

Xylene
    Free Member

This is what my first bike looked like, not my bike though.

Vaporized Maroon was the name of the colour.

Non-indexed gears, weighed a tonne, kept it until 1994 when I got a Shogun Trailbreaker with indexed gears – oh it was heaven.

Having a crush on Missy Giov

Former world downhill mountain bike champion Missy Giove had plead guilty to smuggling marijuana, capping what is likely one of the most spectacular tumbles from grace in all of action sports. The 37-year-old, featured last fall here retired from pro racing in 2003 after world championship titles and a flamboyant career peaking with her world title in 1994 and a sponsor contract that was the envy of all pro pedalers.

Last month Giove admitted her role in a 3-year smuggling operation, telling cops she took $30,000 to coordinate couriers shuttling marijuana from California to New York. Last summer, cops busted her in Illinois with 350 pounds of marijuana. They later found another 30 to 50 pounds of the weed at a co-conspirator’s home, along with more than $1 million cash.

She could face up to five years in federal prison. Sentencing is set for March.

And my mate getting a stumpjumper and going on and on about it weighing 25lbs

xcgb
    Free Member

What about those things that fitted into the rear cassette to scrape the muck out, Crudcatcher made them

still got my purple metallic one!

molgrips
    Free Member

Zak Tempest in MB-UK..

Xylene
    Free Member

can't forget this

The Kirk Revolution.

I would have sold my mum for one.

A website dedicated to kirk

http://www.kirk-bicycles.co.uk/Kirk.htm

joolsburger
    Free Member

Riding round on a Marin with Neon green forks and stem and this grey paint that looked like teflon. 21 speed and Biopace. The cutting edge it was.

glenp
    Free Member

Smoke and dart (although I then went with smoke and Specialized Ground Control S for quite a few years), flexstem (I actually liked mine!), Flite saddle (still the best), Campagnolo silver rims with Ritchey Logic spokes (still using those wheels), purple stuff, Etto helmet (they'll come back in fashion one day).

Tiger6791

What about those things that fitted into the rear cassette to scrape the muck out, Crudcatcher made them

Crud Claw? 😉

Rich
    Free Member

Little extensions for your brake levers so you could brake while using your bar ends!

Crud Claw!

molgrips
    Free Member

Whatever made you want a Kirk? They were really heavy, expensive and rode crappily even then.

Xylene
    Free Member

Whatever made you want a Kirk? They were really heavy, expensive and rode crappily even then.

They looked coooooooooooooooool and were made of magnesium

JonR
    Free Member

Fitting a DCD

Rich
    Free Member

Nishiki Alien!

maxray
    Free Member

"Shogun Trailbreaker" !! I had one of those Quirrel.. was my first bike to be nicked aswell :/

xcgb
    Free Member

Rich YES crud claw! how could I forget that

xcgb
    Free Member

I actually miss Gripshift, i always liked it

snakebite
    Free Member

solid Answer attack alu stem. pink brake lever grips-WTF? My lovely Grafton speed controls…. the ever so cr4p Tioga disc drive, cleverly sold to a German over 4 months of MBUK back page classified adverts…. 😯
    Umma Gumma tyres… http://www.snakebite.fotopic.net/p1082172.html

Tiger6791

TURBO GEL SADDLES!!!

Thread Closed!

molgrips
    Free Member

Did you have anything back then that you would still ride today, ignoring the nostalgic retro-cool factor?

I reckon my old Kona Fire Mountain from 1992 would be a good ride still. My Orange P7 (one of the very first) was also quite good to ride on non techie stuff, as you could really get power down and cover some ground. Really good riding position for hammering the pedals – it'd have made a better 'hybrid' than my actual hybrid.

lardman
    Free Member

My first proper off-road bike (Marin Bear Valley) was one of only two in the range available in UK, and one of three possible brands totaling seven models in all. I didn't see ANYONE else riding a trail for at least a year, and when i rode it on the road, everyone asked "why my bike looked like that".

1987, a good year for bad frame colours, and bad flouro clothing borrowed from the roadies. Things have, fortunately, come a long way.

glenp
    Free Member

Singletrack was a relative novelty, probably the biggest difference. Lots of cheeky footpath riding.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

You could get grips for your brake levers.

I had some of those, in 'rad' blue, obviously.
    Married up with an ano red crud claw, which is still kicking around somewhere.

xcgb
    Free Member

My old steel spesh rockhopper was great! even with the oval chainrings

snakebite
    Free Member

brake boosters…I have an anno blue one somewhere….

snakebite
    Free Member

oh, and Tange Prestige. My new frame is also Tange…. as was my first clockwork.

Rich
    Free Member

Tiger6791 – Member

Crud Claw? 😉

Just in time! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Back in the day………………’ is closed to new replies.