Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Baby advice sought…
  • piemann
    Free Member

Pie Jnr is about 8 months old now. Whenever there is food around, he starts screaming and shouting for it. He even screams when we’re feeding him between mouthfuls if we’re not shovelling it in fast enough. If he is around other people or babies when they have food and he doesn’t, he screams and shouts then too.

He’s going to a childminder 2 days a week now and the same thing is happening there.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? How did you resolve it?

Thanks

Pie

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Feed less but more often?

Babies have tiny stomachs (obviously!) and apparently when they are hungry, they are REALLY hungry.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Yes.

How did you resolve it?

Ignore him.

wooobob

Is he still on milk? When Weewooobob started twigging that food was more than just fun, we upped the quantity of his milk feeds (although we’d dropped the number of them down). Seems to have done the trick for us: the milk keeps him full, the food is a nice little bonus. If he’s hungry, great; if not he can throw it at the dog, hide it in his ears, etc…

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Our daughter did this, we let her start feeding herself or at least messing around in the food. We were pretty sure our daughter wasn’t excessively hungry it was just a phase and it didn’t last that long.

Hohum
    Free Member

Hope he grows out of it?

My son went through a phase when he really loved his food, so much so that he would keep eating and eating until his stomach was sore.

It took a while for him to understand the feedback loop, but he eventually got there.

Good luck.

wooobob

If that doesn’t work, try the two other options above (littler oftener/ignore)! One of them will! 😀

trb
    Free Member

Finger foods?

Our 8 month old loves munching on a bit of toast between meals – most of it goes on the floor and into the dog, but it keeps her happy

piemann
    Free Member

He gets 3 6oz bottles of milk a day (7am, 3pm and 7pm)as well as meals – breakfast (porridge/muesli and fruit), lunch (homemade meat and veg) and dinner (similar to lunch). We do a mixture of feeding him with a spoon and giving him something to feed himself with (he’s a big fan of bread and fruit).

I think the most annoying thing is that he can’t be in the same room as another person who is eating without kicking off about it, even if he has just eaten!

molgrips
    Free Member

Feed him more? If he’s hungry, keep on feeding him surely?

If he won’t eat any more then still screams, don’t indulge him. When he eats, does he eat with you at mealtimes the table like a grownup?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Our daughter is very wriggly, and that appears to mean that she can eat a whole lot (we did a formula feed once at night rather than a breastfeed, and she ate 10oz formula for something like 5 hours), and we keep having to revise how much food to make for her (yesterday she had her portion of pasta, then I wasn’t hungry, so she had my adult portion too), I don’t suppose it could just be that you have a greedy little pig like ours and are underestimating portions?

On a related note, we are doing baby led weaning, which basically means you just give em a bit of your food and let them eat it if they want (site about it), and it works really well for us. At 7 months, she seems to eat a whole lot of some things (curry, dal and rice is the big favourite at the moment, cheese omelette is a big hit too, anything with pasta also, as long as it’s shapes she can grab or long pasta). I’d totally recommend that (there is a book, which is good for being confident about it / answering questions, but really can be summed up as a)give them stuff that they can pick up, b)don’t put salt in whatever you cook, probably be a bit careful with the chillies etc.) The only downside of it is that if you’re not careful, she’ll nick your food off your plate – because she knows how to get food, you have to keep an eye on how close you’re leaving food to her (she grabbed and ate a big bit of my wife’s cheesecake the other day).

Joe

steve-g
    Free Member

We moved littlelegs onto the Blue SMA Milk, I think its called Hungry Baby or something….I refer to it as Chubby Baby Milk but the missus doesnt like that.

Then, yeah at meal times give them a spoon to hold, or finger foody stuff to play with

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d say that if you are thinking about hungry baby milk, then it’s time for real food. At any time of day, but make sure you make an occasion out of mealtimes too.

But +1 for baby led weaning. Lil grips was mostly feeding herself from I dunno, 9-12mo. Now at 20mo she goes and gets her own food half the time.. not so good at being neat and tidy about it tho 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Double post.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Finger foods?

My thoughts exactly – bread sticks, baby biscuits, anything to keep him occupied. And let him feed himself – it will be messy but, hey, it will only get messier in the next year…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think he just needs more pies man.

chakaping
    Free Member

Probably shouldn’t have laughed, but he does sound quite a greedy little bugger.

Can you post a video?

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

i’d go for finger foods too,little fatsimon(mk3)is 10 months now and well into toast and marmite(breakfast) and pasta(dinner)he was a strong feeder right from the start and we switched to hungier baby milk from six months on but decreased number of feeds and it seams to have worked for us.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

He’s learnt that by screaming and creating he get what he wants, perhaps if you did not give in to him he may learn not to scream and cry.

Hohum
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member
    He’s learnt that by screaming and creating he get what he wants, perhaps if you did not give in to him he may learn not to scream and cry.

That could well be true, but there may be other reasons as well.

Bringing up little ones, particularly if it is your first, is really hard and it is easy to slip into “bad” habits to give yourself a bit of peace and quiet.

It’s just a damn shame that they don’t come with user guides!

molgrips
    Free Member

Mrs Grips suggests he just wants to join in with whatever grownups are doing and she reminded me that Lil Grips was the same. She wanted to do whatever we were doing.

We ended up with her on a normal chair (not a high chair) being given bits of whatever we were eating, with some small sized real cutlery (definitely not plastic babyware) and letting her get on with it.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I don’t know which is why I’m asking, but is “3 6oz bottles of milk a day” enough? My 6 week old will down one of those in a sitting with ease. He’s mostly on the breast with the occasional expressed bottle so I don’t know how much he’d get through if he was pure bottle fed, but I was shocked by how easy he puts one away!

traildog
    Free Member

He’s a baby. This is the natural way things happen. Baby wants things and cries, parents then respond. You’ll have plenty of battles of will later.

I’ve discovered that as a parent everyone is very willing to tell you THE way to do things as this is what they did with their little one(s). I’ve come to the conclusion that every baby is different and you just muddle through as best as you can.

joemarshall
    Free Member

It might just be that screaming and crying are the only ways he knows of letting you know he is unhappy about something, what with being a baby and not having developed the nuanced forms of communication that adults have. I would suspect that you don’t have a super-devious baby like this person is suggesting, as I reckon they don’t really exist.

There is a great book – the Philosophical Baby, which talks all about what babies do and don’t understand at various ages (based on up to date experimental psychology research, rather than a bunch of random people’s interpretations of babies actions), and I’m pretty sure deviousness comes a lot later than many people think.

I think the most annoying thing is that he can’t be in the same room as another person who is eating without kicking off about it, even if he has just eaten!

Whilst ours doesn’t kick off, she certainly shows an interest when people are eating stuff – we just have meals at the same time as her, seems more civilised anyway, and we let her have snacks if we’re snacking, although not always the same ones (she isn’t allowed salty snacks or boozy christmas cakes).

Joe

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

(she isn’t allowed salty snacks or boozy christmas cakes).

BORING!

Our two really like Pringles.

brassneck

I’ve discovered that as a parent everyone is very willing to tell you THE way to do things as this is what they did with their little one(s). I’ve come to the conclusion that every baby is different and you just muddle through as best as you can.

+100

All three of ours have responded differently to virtually all aspects of growing up.

But for what it’s worth…
    Don’t know how big 6oz is in mL, but that doesn’t sound like much milk for an 8 month old. We’re on closer 6/7 180mL bottles, and no loss of real food appetite – we’ll reduce those when he gets closer to a year. It’s probably his primary source of liquid too remember, unless he’s guzzling water at each meal.
    Finger food is a winner, we always supply some at the end of the bun fight and it keeps the current junior model occupied fir a while even after he’s packed away a bowl of main and a pudding.

brassneck

BORING!
    Our two really like Pringles.

I’m sure I’ve just been fished in, but salt is like really really poisonous for babies, mm’kay??

woody2000

Greedy you say? 🙂

TinMan
    Free Member

M_F tolling? Nag, don’t believe you.
    Babies self regulate so when full they’ll either stop or vomit.
    As others say, you’re permanently caught between working out if its because they’re actually hungry, wanting to copy, or trying to manipulate as they’ve learnt it works for attention.

Ours we feed until he stops, most days its loads sometimes not a lot. He remains a sensible and healthy weight.

+1 for BLW

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve just been fished in, but salt is like really really poisonous for babies, mm’kay??

Well they are 18 months old now – we wouldn’t have given them to them when they were ‘babies’ as such. And they only get one each and only occasionally.

clubber
    Free Member

Mini Clubber was much the same in terms of eating loads though without the screaming – just grunted and/or said ‘more’ but that was no suprise really as he is/was very big (over 99.6th percentile) and growing fast. He’s settled down now (2.5 years old) and is pretty tall and lean despite having been quite a chubber early on.

theotherjonv

stop backtracking M-F. You know damn well once you’ve popped, they won’t stop.

I’m thinking of putting a lock on the pringles cupboard to keep my 2 away from them. On the plus side, it’s one of the wall cupboards so they get some exercise while climbing on to the worktops to get them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Does he take after his father? do you scream and shout for food? Do you panic in times of pie shortage?

*nods sagely*

Learnt behaviour innit. simples

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“We’re on closer 6/7 180mL bottles, and no loss of real food appetite”

Thats loads compared to our 8 month old, but as above every baby is different.

My son has 2 x 200 ml bottles at either end of the day and a 100ml as an afternoon snack. Rest of the day he has 1 1/2 to 2 weetabix for breakfast, a bananan and small yougurt for a snack mid morning, some kind of lunch which looks like a small childs portion, and the same around 5 ish.

Weird thing is when he was younger he would eat loads more than he does now ie 3 weeetabix for breakfast!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

stop backtracking M-F. You know damn well once you’ve popped, they won’t stop.

I’m thinking of putting a lock on the pringles cupboard to keep my 2 away from them. On the plus side, it’s one of the wall cupboards so they get some exercise while climbing on to the worktops to get them.
    😆

But it is definitely a case of monkey see, monkey do. It is the same with anything – they can be eating their weetabix of a morning yet they will still scream and point at MY weetabix because they want that.

And they have now discovered the joys of advent calendars filled with chocolate.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Baby advice sought…’ is closed to new replies.