Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AY-UP import duty
  • oblique
    Free Member

From other people that have imported these lights from Aus what percent import duty did you get hit with? I think i should know this before making my mind up on lights.

On a different point, are they (in most peoples opinion) bright enough for fast singletrack?

Is it a good bet to buy at the moment or is there anything new, cheaper/brighter coming out in the next few months?

meeeee
    Free Member

both my orders came through with no VAT or import duty

carlphillips
    Free Member

i didnt get stung either 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got them from when they were in the UK. I would say they are bright enough for semi-tech single track – I use them as a helmet light and for commuting (single road set) – for fairly tech stuff I would say no – I would use 2 sets. last for ages and they slowly dim rather than cut out which is why I like them for commuting. I like them a lot!

MrTall
    Free Member

I have the MTB set (bars & helmet) and think they are excellent. Two riding buddies also have them and are equally impressed. More than enough light for pretty much any off road riding.

Bit annoyed to see they’ve shut down the UK operation but hopefully i won’t have any future problems with them as dealing with Oz could be a pain i guess.

grievoustim
    Free Member

what does tech mean?

For low speed stuff they are perfect I think – as you can angle the lights separateley you can put one of the bar lights pointing right down at your front tyre.

This really works for slow steep sections, as I find the light on your head points too far into the distance (as you are moving your eyes down rather than your whole head).

For high speed sections you might find yourself wishing for something brighter – but I find the ay-ups good enough

I did get stung for duty -can’t remember how much though, 40 quid maybe (the website told me how much to expect I think)

grievoustim
    Free Member

additional comment

for high speed twisty, wooded, singletrack they are perfect – and better I think than a single very bright bar light (cos the helmet light means you can look round corners)

A super bright single HID or something might be better on a fast, rough, straight descents when you are scanning as far ahead as possible to spot ruts etc

Rambo
    Free Member

I also got mine from the UK chaps last year and they are easily bright enough for fast singletrack. With the 2 sets you get the wide angle set on the bars to give a general flood of light that you can adjust on the fly by tweaking one or both of the lights.
    The narrow beam set of the helmet allow you to focus on one part of the trail. It soon becomes clear where you are scanning and you get a very bright section where you look.

I can ride as fast as I can during the day with them, so they either allow you to ride fast or I’m just slow 🙂

There will always be something new, brighter better etc coming. These give you more than enough running time, enough brightness and weigh bugger all.

For me it’s a no brainer – get some.

D

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Import duty at 4% then VAT at 15% on the toal plus a handling charge by the carrier. My order came in two packages, one copped for duty, the other one didn’t.

foxyrider
    Free Member

what does tech mean?

Short for technical – sorry thought that was obvious. The road set (x1) is enough for semi-tech (nical) stuff so go for the MTB set for full on (technical) MTB – I went for the road as I already had some lumicycles.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘AY-UP import duty’ is closed to new replies.