Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ay-up beam pattern for helmet use?
  • gravity-slave
    Free Member

Pretty sure I’m getting an Ay-up light for helmet use. It’ll be used with a Hope HID on the bars. Not ridden with a head light before but need to ‘fill in’ when I’m looking where the bars are not pointing, which seems to happen quite a lot!

Ay-up recommend a narrow beam for helmet mount and intermediate for the bars.

For an all round mix of riding but mostly tight technical woods and rocky stuff, can any Ay-upers out there comment on the beam pattern? Stick with the narrow for twisty stuff or is a slightly wider beam better?

(p.s. – had a search but not with much luck)

MrTall
    Free Member

I use them bar and helmet and the narrow beam is great for the helmet. I ride with a few others who use them and we’ve all been very happy. The newer ones are 400 lumens compared to the older 320 lumen ones so i’m guessing yours will be ace. I’m considering upgrading my helmet one for the newer version but i’m not sure if it’ll be worth it.

Ayups are also the only lights i’ve ever used where you actually get more than the stated burn times. Around 10 hours from the 6hr battery and 4 hrs + from the 3 hr ones.

Great lights and bombproof too.

epicyclo

I’ve got all 3. The narrow is good.

Wider beams seem to me to flatten out the track surface and hide lumps and holes that I can see perfectly well in daylight – but I also do not wear my glasses so that may be the reason.

Quality as per MrTall

chutney13
    Free Member

The narrow helmet makes sense. as it’s narrower, it’s brighter and you want the most light on what you’re looking at. they really are good.

rkk01
    Free Member

I run the standard inter on bars / narrow on helmet setup. Works well.

Late spring / early autumn commutes I wont bother with the lid lights (as it’s dusky rather than dark) – and it’s very noticeable that the intermediate only on the bars is a fairly diffuse spread. I wouldn’t want just inters when it is properly dark.

BUT, augmented with the narrow helmet beam oriented to your direct line of sight, excellent.

Certainly wouldn’t go with anything other than narrow on the helmet – pointless.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Fantastic, thanks.

Was a little worried the narrow would be too ‘pointy’ and give a real spot, only for fast riding or road use. Sounds like it’s perfect for the woods too. Great.

Just got to pick a colour and the decision is made!

mrmo
    Free Member

ditto.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ay-up beam pattern for helmet use?’ is closed to new replies.