Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Avid Juicy/ Carbon piston & seal – to lubricate or not to lubricate?
  • djen83
    Free Member

As per title. If you’d recommend lubicating the seals and pistons what do you use? Brake fluid? grease? marmite? Fox float sticky fluid?

Common sense tells me that anything else (apart from brake fluid) will contaminate the brake fluid – but then I’m a full time pen pusher and no mechanic.

Help!

Cheers in advance

eshershore
    Free Member

high temperature Silicon grease

its what’s the factory uses…buy any Hope tackle box for bike workshop servicing and you get a bottle of Hunter silicon grease in there

Avid also sell it under their “Pit Stop” label, but its blooming hard to get in the UK

you can get the same stuff from RS Components more easily…

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

I use red rubber grease.

Bought from eBay for about £2 for enough to do me forever. Apply with a cotton bud but make sure it doesn’t leave any stray fibres…

HTH

robhughes
    Free Member

esher shore +1 .Hunters silicon lubricant.
    Can,t remember where i got mine from but found it on flea bay for you.
    http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/170971990532?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

orangeboy
    Free Member

Hope sell te hunter bottles on three own
    Ask your lbs good chance they will have a spare bottle or can easily get them

baznav73
    Free Member

The avid stuff is d.o.t. grease and is bloody good if not expensive and one tub will last you and your mates a lifetime.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy/ Carbon piston & seal – to lubricate or not to lubricate?’ is closed to new replies.