Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Attention gardenists. Crappy lawn and dandelions.
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Seems the whole lawn has loads of dandelions in my lawn.

Any recommendations for a good “weed and feed” type product to try and get the lawn looking better and annihilating the dandelions?

Cheers

MoreCashThanDash

Pouring salt into the crown of the dandelion will kill them. Depends how many you have though.

Take off the flowers before they seed in the meantime.

sirromj

Don’t be a fascist, keep the dandelions & add daisies & clover.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Verdone Extra, Vitax Lawn Clear or if you can get it Grazon 90 or Grazon Pro. The last two are for professional use only, but kills lots of things the domestic stuff doesn’t touch.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Employ some local guinea pigs, if your garden is chemical free, they love dandelions!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bees also love a dandelion.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Dandelions are easy enough to uproot by hand unless your lawn is really huge. Use a long weeding fork thingy (probably has a real name) to get the taproot.

crankboy
    Free Member

Child, daisy rooter and a promise of £1 per 100 uprooted.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Going to try some Verdone Extra as my first course of action.

Digging them out seems to leave a big hole, when I do it ! 😳

perchypanther
    Free Member

Set your lawnmower to higher so it doesn’t cut the grass so short.

If you cut the grass really short then there is not enough leaf left to allow the grass plants to photosynthesize enough to be really healthy and outcompete the weeds.
    Broad leaved , low lying weeds like dandelions, daisies and plantain which are not cut by the mower will then take over.

A longer cut, more frequently, will make a big difference to the health of your lawn in my experience.

EDIT: Also, buy a hollow core tine fork and spend a day using it. It’s a back breaking shift, but it might make a huge difference.

T1000
    Free Member

Tortoise…. that will cure your Dandelion problem although you’ll have to dodge the minefield of tarry black ‘gifts’ left all over your lawn

allan23
    Free Member

http://www.fiskars.co.uk/products/gardening/lawn-care-tools/fiskars-weed-puller-w52-1000736

Just because everyone needs an overpriced garden tool 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Set your lawnmower to higher so it doesn’t cut the grass so short.

If you cut the grass really short then there is not enough leaf left to allow the grass plants to photosynthesize enough to be really healthy and outcompete the weeds.
    Broad leaved , low lying weeds like dandelions, daisies and plantain which are not cut by the mower will then take over.

A longer cut, more frequently, will make a big difference to the health of your lawn in my experience.

This. I’ve noticed that where I pee on the grass every morning and it’s long and thick, it has out-competed the dandelions. In the areas where the grass is poor, the dandelions are thriving.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Attention gardenists. Crappy lawn and dandelions.’ is closed to new replies.