Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • At last, digital OS mapping for Mac users! (and iPhone too)
  • soulsonicboy
    Free Member

As a Mac user I've been so frustrated that mapping software has been solely for PC users – the only option so far has been to run Windows on my Mac which is a hassle – but it seems now you can get UK OS Explorer 1:25 maps for Mac OS X

http://www.routebuddy.com/routebuddy/index.html

The iPhone app with full OS mapping looks cool too.

Has anyone here ever used Route Buddy before? Any thought? I'd be interested to know what it's like compared to Memory Map etc

Cheers

Ben

joemarshall
    Free Member

Blimey – £17.38 for the equivalent of a single paper map? And no obvious way of buying the whole country. Looks like they think Mac users are made of money.

Oh, plus $99 for the software itself.

You could buy a copy of windows plus memory map for the price it'd cost to get a decent set of maps for even a local area.

Joe

BadlyWiredDog

The cost is down to using 1:25,000 scale mapping I think. I have a Peak map on my Macbook and it's a bit slow and clunky compared to, say, ViewRanger, then again it's on a Mac. No idea how it runs on an iPhone, but I should find out next week.

soulsonicboy
    Free Member

Hi BWD – I'm new to this so forgive my ignorance – but can you run ViewRanger on a Mac? Does it work similar to Memory Map etc?

Milkie
    Free Member

ViewRanger For Mac – Instructions

That's damn expensive, especially if you've already bought the maps for MM.

joemarshall
    Free Member

The cost is down to using 1:25,000 scale mapping I think

Partly that maybe, but £17 for the equivalent to a single £7.99 paper map is ridiculous.

Hi BWD – I'm new to this so forgive my ignorance – but can you run ViewRanger on a Mac? Does it work similar to Memory Map etc?

Viewranger is a mobile phone application, for Symbian mobile phones. It doesn't run on a computer at all.

Joe

GaryLake
    Free Member

I find all these GPS iphone apps bloody useless (mapmyride, trail guru etc). They always lose signal a minute into the ride and then displays a "Oh noes lost interents" pop up and fails to try and carry on recording. Unless you're in a populated area the GPS capabilities of the iphone are frankly shite.

I assume this is down to the poor strength of the GPS receiver and it's reliance on wifi, 3g, edge and GPRS to help triangulate…

clubber
    Free Member

I use trailguru on mine and it seems to work pretty well Gary and I'll assume that we're doing at least some riding in the same sorts of areas – sounds to me like you're letting the phone lock itself which stops the app. On trailguru, use the lock icon and it keeps it in the foreground.

Milkie
    Free Member

I think (im not an iphone guru) the 3GS has a dedicated GPS chip and doesn't require WiFi/3G/Edge/GPRS, I think it uses these when it cannot lock on to a GPS satalite..

GaryLake
    Free Member

clubber – I found it ok for a road ride if I didn't dip down into deep combes and valleys out failand way. I'll have a look into not letting the iphone lock.

Do you use your offroad at all, CwmCarn, Afan, Qs etc?

GavinB

Not used the mapping software, but tried (once) to use the iMapmyride app for the iPhone, only to find that it emptied the battery less than an hour into a 3 hour ride! I guess using the GPS capability on the phone drains the battery REALLY quickly – so unless you are just popping down the road, pretty much useless.

clubber
    Free Member

Gary, email me and I'll show you some of my tracks.

I've had no problem yet with battery and 2 hr rides.

clubber
    Free Member

Incidentally I have a 3gs. Maybe that makes a difference to battery life and gps accuracy?

clubber
    Free Member

I logged my offroad route again last night and again, it seems to follow fairly well, even under trees, etc – not pinpoint accurate but certainly within a few metres.

GaryLake
    Free Member

clubber, did I get an email from you already?

stumpyjon

GPS usage does drop battery life to around 2 hours. Just been surfing and apparently you can battery extenders to significantly increase battery life. The Mophie juice extender is apparantly Apple approved although at £ 60 it's a bit expensive. Shame Apple are so rubbish when it comes to batteries.

clubber
    Free Member

Gary, yeah i emailed you from work

clubber
    Free Member

Not 2 hours on mine. More like 3 or 4 from fully charged

brassneck

Tracklogs runs under DarWINE.. not terribly well, but it runs.

Phone wise, I went for a Nokia 5800, as all the sync toys work now, and you can run Sports Tracker on the phone itself.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘At last, digital OS mapping for Mac users! (and iPhone too)’ is closed to new replies.