Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Asbestostrackworld
  • towen
    Free Member

Thought I see what the collective had to say whilst I do a spot of research of my own.

We’re looking at having our soffits, facia and guttering replaced; we’ve had two quotes now and only the second has mentioned Asbestos. I’ve done a bit or research and it is common in 1960’s houses. the second company has said its high grade and given a fairly high quote, but then they’ve also said they’ll test first etc.

if it’s low grade I can remove it myself provided I take care etc

Just thought I’d see if anyone else has had any similar experience.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is any of it busted or just tatty.

Clean up and paint is alot cheaper and isnt as hard as you think. As well as safer.

Asbestos only an issue if you disturb it!

flap_jack
    Free Member

As trail rat says. I have loads on our house but not worried. I’ll get flamed for this, but clearly if you were working with the stuff day in day out it was deadly, but undisturbed and stabilised on a house is pretty safe.

towen
    Free Member

Most of it is just tatty but quite a bit is just too far gone so it needs replacing. For the sake of the house it needs to go. I also suspect some of the timbers might needs some attention.

I’d never even thought there would be asbestos so quite glad I didn’t get up there and start sanding it down!

I have read that the low grade stuff is safe as long as I don’t start busting it up; i.e. take it down whole.

I just don’t want to get caught out and charged a lot for what could be quite a simple task provided its done safely.

VanHalen

If a ‘company’ removes it they need to be licensed and get you to do a survey first (in your case its rolled into their quote) and it will cost more as per your expensive quote. They are doing it by the book. The other chaps are probably winging it or don’t care or only interested in cash.

You can remove it yourself if its your property with no regulation regardless of type of asbestos and the local tip will take it.

Having done an asbestos awareness course last week we, and all of our kids, are doomed. However the numbers actually dieing from the lung cancers are not a patch on heart disease.

If its painted board stuff do it yerself with a posh facemask and change your clothes outside wet then wash. Or overalls and bin. Don’t break it whatever you do.

For the sake of a few hundred quid and knowledge of your property it might be worth getting a survey cos if its high content asbestos board its worth knowing cos its pretty horrid stuff really.

Whatever you do don’t sand and wire brush the stuff if you leave it and want to refurb. Just bodge a load of paint on to seal it in.

Cheers,

Mark

pigeonthing
    Free Member

also…f you remove it, you’ve got to consider where your going to dispose of it. you cant just dump it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I had an asbestos Cement Roof shed and some asbestos guttering removed and disposed of for around £500. Our council is one of the few who won’t accept double bagged asbestos cement. Considering the work the guys put in, the standard of service and the peace of mind this bought (for the missus) that didn’t seem untoward.

I got quotes to get it tested and they weren’t too unreasonable. I found one or two who would have been happy to accept samples in a zip loc bag (although you really can’t just stick it in the post) Your Council may have a public analyst who can do this for you.

Lots of asbestos firms are geared towards commercial work so be prepared to do some digging.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

If thinking about taking a DIY approach have a look at the asbestos essentials task manual which can be downloaded from the HSE Web site,
    If in good nick leave alone, paint /seal but don’t sand or disturb.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

clearly if you were working with the stuff day in day out it was deadly

I think that’s something of a myth. Children, especially, don’t need to be exposed to asbestos for years for it to have lethal consequences. Short exposure can be sufficient, there doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason.

nuke

Sort out the test yourself. I use this lab…
    http://cavendishlaboratories.co.uk

Costs about £15 a sample last time I used them but that was a couple of years ago. So, phone up to get cost, carefully get sample(s), double bag and label sample(s), send off with cheque. Last time they informed me within about 48 hours of sending off

Macavity
    Free Member

Usually best just to assume that it is asbestos. But asbestos cement is not normally considered as much of a hazard as other asbestos products.

an example of some councils policies
    http://www.eden.gov.uk/health/health-and-safety-at-work/asbestos-guidance/working-with-asbestos-cement/

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Asbestos%20Advice%2017.04.13.pdf

http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/eh_asbestos.htm

Cougar

the local tip will take it.

Check with the tip first, councils make their own rules up. Mine takes asbestos, but only if double-bagged in the bags they provide.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Ernie Lynch is correct – there is no safe exposure level with asbestos. Generally, the question is more one of what will minimise particulate levels in the air, removal or leaving well alone.

Asbestos doesn’t break down in the lungs and a single fibre (however distant the odds may be) can cause asbestosis. It’s not like stopping smoking, where your illness risk returns to normal at some point after stopping.

The above isn’t meant to scare, and there’s lot of hysteria around asbestos, but it is worth being aware of the material that’s being dealt with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Asbestostrackworld’ is closed to new replies.