Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Arggh- What IS that rattle? Hope Hoops content……
  • hopefiendboy

So, finally got a rear Hope hoops Stans crest on Evo2 hub, nice and light. Popped it on the bike and 30 mins later- thinking what is that rattle? There are at least 2 nipples in there rattling around-not off the spokes though, prob from the build.

PITA!

Not had the wheel off yet- is there space to get the nipples out at the holes if built up? Not had a chance to look at the rim profile with the rim tape off

GW
    Free Member

What makes you think it’s nipples?

Mavic rims used to always have the insert that’s used to align the rim for welding come loose inside and rattle around.

RustyMac

If it is nipples you should be able to shoogle them round to come out the valve hole.

IA

shoogle them

I lived in England for 4 years before I found out people had no idea what I meant by “shoogle” and just guessed based on context… such a useful word, I dunno how they cope without!

messiah
    Free Member

If it is the joining pin that has come loose like GW suggested you can ignore it, or try denting the rim wall with a punch to lock it in position (risky?), or squirt some foam or silicon bath sealant type stuff into a spoke hole and along to hold it in position (then clean out the excess).

chives
    Free Member

Shoogle – is that like jiggling but with a tad more care? 😉

MrAgreeable

Depending on the vintage of the freehub, it might be the cassette sprockets rattling around in the grooves they’ve worn. The Pro3 on my road bike is several years old and sounds more than a bit Christmassy.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Maybe take it back to the shop

JohnB
    Free Member

My new Hope Hoop front wheel is rattling. I thought it was the 2nd hand carbon forks to start with…. quite worrying.

It is a tubeless tyre with Stans fluid so a bit of a pain to take off.

I am guessing from this thread it is a spoke nipple rattling around in there.

hopefiendboy

transpires that it is the rim alignment insert that is meant to be pinned down but has rattled loose. Hope are aware of this problem- I have tried to stick it down with superglue but after a ride it just loosened up again.

Its cosmetic, but a pain at the same time. Hmmm. £190 rear wheel. Hmmm

Brianblessed
    Free Member

Its v unlikely that its a nipple. That would be noticed during the build. More likely its the crush plate, they can come loose after the wheel is built.

pitduck
    Free Member

shoogle = fettle 😀

organdonor
    Free Member

Doesn’t shoogle mean shake it repeatedly back and forth?
    I thought fettle meant to fix something that didn’t really need fixing/make fine adjustments to something?

coatesy
    Free Member

Giving the centre-punch marks an extra clout with a centre-punch usually stops the joining strip rattling.

frazered
    Free Member

On my stans I had a rattle. it was some swarf from the manufacturing process of the rim. Took tyre off and shook out the loose swarf, rattle gone

takisawa2

At £200 I would be expecting the shop to sort it out.!!!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Will hope not change it for you. I’m sure a friend of mine had one replaced free last year when the insert came loose

orangeboy
    Free Member

Will hope not change it for you. I’m sure a friend of mine had one replaced free last year when the insert came loose

robsoctane
    Free Member

Of course Hope will sort it, they’re l
    The UK legends of customer service.

ScotlandTheScared

I had this problem – I took the rim tape off and stuffed some blu-tak into the spoke holes nearest the rim join so that it was inside the rim. I then pushed the blu-tak towards the rim join. This stopped the rattle for me and lasted for years.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Arggh- What IS that rattle? Hope Hoops content……’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM