Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Are we allowed thread for Judaism/Israeli Gvmnt/USA/Anti-Semitism? (Soz mods)
  • bodgy
    Free Member

Genuine question, without starting the suggested thread.

Are we allowed to discuss the issues surrounding Judaism, the Israeli State and it’s place in international politics, anti-semitism, American interventionism, Judaic liberalism etc.

Or, is even discussing it so litigously verboten that the conversation is closed down before it has begun?

I’m aiming this question at the moderators, because obviously the subject is ‘hot’.

Thanks,

bodgy

nealglover
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you be allowed to discuss it ?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Who is going to lob in the first hand grenade then stand back and admire their work?

scotroutes

Hezbollah?

nickc

What do you want to actually discuss?

bodgy
    Free Member

The reason i’m asking is because recently any questioning of the Israeli state has been twisted by the powers that be as being anti-Semitic. Legislation has been passed that equate criticism of the Israeli gvmnt as being ‘anti-Semitic’.

Hence, I ask.

scotroutes

What legislation was that?

funkmasterp

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””></div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Genuine question, without starting the suggested thread.

</div>

It would seem that the thread has started anyway.

binners

What’s applicable at the moment is surely the unholy alliance of far right Zionist nut-jobs and Christian fundamentalist headbangers, and their belief that trump will help bring about their favourite fairy tales?

Is that what you wanted to discuss

nealglover
    Free Member

Legislation has been passed that equate criticism of the Israeli gvmnt as being ‘anti-Semitic’.

Has it ?

Where ?

bodgy
    Free Member

What do you want to actually discuss?

The inter-relationship between Judaism, the Israeli State, American foreign policy, current affairs and the nature of dialogue being closed down for being ‘Anti-Semetic’,

I think I was fairly unambiguous about that.

chestrockwell

Must admit I find it strange that the Israeli government seems to be able to do as it pleases without any recriminations. Also that they seem to have so much sway over the USA. What do I know though?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve put the BBQ on, not sure if I’ve got enough sausages..

bodgy
    Free Member

Just thought i’d ask, as it is possible that such a discussion could place the owners/mods in a difficult place.

nickc

Why don’t you start with your position/proposition  and we’ll go from there?

bodgy
    Free Member

>going to step aside from thread for a bit as I have to cook supper<

will check back in. x

bodgy
    Free Member

@nickc – I suggest that “the Israeli gvmnt/state has a ridiculously overblown sense of it’s own importance, owing to it’s high-finance connections to the USA and international arms trade”.

Hows that for a starter?

Or does that get the thread/debate closed for being anti Semitic?

edit: I still have to cook supper. Back in a bit.

Drac

I’ve only one real concern. What the hell have you been smoking?

funkmasterp

WTF did you cook for your supper in three minutes?

Cougar

Quite.

This appears to be a question about STW moderation rather than a discussion about what you, seemingly, want to discuss.  STW generally and I personally has always been against censorship, despite unsubstantiated wails to the contrary from certain quarters.  Fill your boots, what points would you like to make, caller?

(If you’re intending promoting hate speech then that’s a different issue, there’s laws against that.)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I reckon you can discuss what you like on here.

(As long as you don’t upset/offend anyone)

So I wouldn’t bother.

Cougar

(besides which, if you’re going to make anti-Semitic posts, this thread will be rapidly self-policing I expect.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve only one real concern. What the hell have you been smoking?

Obvious joke is obvious.

scotroutes

I’m still waiting to hear about this legislation.

Northwind

Thread seems a bit pointless but gives me a chance to remind folk that Jonathan Arkush, british jewry’s most senior figurehead/spokesman, is on the record that for jews to criticise israel is antisemitic, never mind anyone else. Oh and that they’re trying to fudge their election process so that he can stay in power for another year without challenge. So that’s all good fun.

Meanwhile everyday racism is treated less seriously- a muslim centre gets torched and it’s barely news, someone says Hitler in the wrong tone of voice and we’re talking about it years later.

There’s constant attempts to have criticism of Israel officially named as antisemitic but I don’t believe it’s actually in legislation? There was a strong attempt to get that as the Labour party’s official definition recently which fortunately was defeated

bodgy
    Free Member

Apologies, phone battery died.

Cougar – i am genuinely NOT having a pop at STW mods. Which is why I phrased my original post carefully.

The nature of discussion getting ‘closed down’ was part of my initial question, was it not?

lister

I want to know what the OP has against the full spelling of ‘government’.

kerley
    Free Member

How’s that supper coming along.  Hope you managed to avoid any anti-semitic incidents while preparing it.

bodgy
    Free Member

Oh for **** sake.

Sausage, mash and peas.

Yes; they are pork sausages.

No; that is not an agenda indicator.

No; it’s not cooked yet. In the interim I peeled the spuds.

Happy?

scotroutes

Apologies, phone battery died.

Were you using it to cook your dinner?*

* It’s nowhere near suppertime yet.

bodgy
    Free Member

Re. Full spelling of ‘government’?

🤔

bodgy
    Free Member

* It’s nowhere near suppertime yet.

That would depend upon when you have to get up.

rene59
    Free Member

This thread has flung up a more interesting question. What is supper to you?

To me it’s a light, snack type meal eaten just before going to bed. A couple slices of toast for example.

gordimhor

“Sausage mash and peas”

“Happy?”

No I don’t eat meat, but this legislation you spoke about….where is it?

Cougar

What is supper to you?

To me it’s a light, snack type meal eaten just before going to bed.

I’m Northern too.

Cougar

Actually, thinking about it, this is already descending into drivel so I’m going to close it.  Go start the discussion you want to talk about.

km79
    Free Member

In after the lock.

BoardinBob

I’ve never really understood it all.

What was done to the Jews in ww2 (and throughout history) was horrific.

However, What I’ve never fully got my head around is why they were given a promised land based on their religion, and the subsequent fallout from that.

For example, when US slavery ended, why didn’t the slaves and their descendants have a piece of land carved out for them.

Because the Jews had a backstory that promised it to them?

Drac

lister

You wrote ‘gvmnt’ in the title! And a bit further down…just wondering really. Like you I guess.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Are we allowed thread for Judaism/Israeli Gvmnt/USA/Anti-Semitism? (Soz mods)’ is closed to new replies.