• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Del.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Are Kenda Blue groove tires any good?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Been bought a pair as a gift to finish off my build but still have my maxiss tires that I kind of love.
    Don’t want to use them as they are brand new and could prob get £25 for them ( don’t worry the person who bought them said its ok)
    What do people think to them? does anyone use them on their bike? are they good for say welsh trail centres with rain, roots, mud etc or are they destined for ebay?

easygirl

rubbish for mud, but seem good for trail centre type terrain, grip is good, but not in mud!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Blue groove are directional so generally only used at the front – I think. They’re often paired up with a nevegal at the back (which is a bit more grippy) I use this combo and find it fantastic for trail centre riding. Definintely worth a go imo – although, I’m not sure about the BG at the rear – still, I’m sure someone will come and correct me on that! Cheers.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got them front and back and find that they are OK in the mud.

Each to their own etc.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Blue groove is better in mud than a nevegal. As MM says, they’re directional. You’d probably not want to run one on the back.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

High rollers are better at most things, thin sidewalls and very sudden loss of grip at the front were issues with blue grooves.

eviljoe
    Free Member

They’ll grip- just don’t expect a fast rolling tyre….

Baldysquirt

I like them a lot. Have had one on the front for ages. Had one on the back, but tyhe 2.35 gave me front mech clearance issues – otherwise, it was fine.

Northwind

I’ve got a 2.35 on mine just now, it seems a wee bit faster than the 2.35 nevegal but corners a bit better. Definately grippier than the equivalent high roller, but also definately slower. Can’t quite decide if I like it or not tbh, I might go back to the nevegal stick-e.

alexonabike

Just today mounted a BG/nevagal combo (both 2.35 DTC compound) to replace some Intense system 4’s that I never trusted lent over. I like the look of the BG up front – you can tell its gonna be slow, but the knobs are big and supported and by the looks of it it should fare ok with a bit of mud. I’ll have to wait and see I guess.

GaryLake
    Free Member

High rollers are better at most things, thin sidewalls and very sudden loss of grip at the front were issues with blue grooves.

Definitely each to their own – I found a high roller dreadful up front and only trust a Blue Groove as a front tyre when really gunning it.

sc-xc

I am looking at these…was going to get Mountain Kings, but the BG/Nevegal work out about £20 cheaper at CRC.

I am looking at

Kenda Nevegal Tubeless 26 x 2.1 Folding

Kenda Blue Groove Tomac UST 26 x 2.1 Folding

What is the difference with the Tomac ones to normal?

alexonabike

As far as I’m aware, they are all Tomac ones. just look at the Kenda site and you’ll see that the BG and Nevagal (plus others) are in the ‘Tomac line’.

I may be wrong.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Much of the Kenda range is ‘designed’ by Tomac.

sc-xc

CHeers. Next question – what sealant do I need to add to my CRC order?? 😕

sc-xc

Will this do it?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34010

Can you tell I’m new to all this…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I run BG f&r on one bike and BG front with Nevegal rear on the other.

Most of my riding is in muddy woodland and have always found them decent enough.

Good all rounders, but each to their own.

Spaceman
    Free Member

i’ve got 2.1 blue grooves on my hardtail, draggy compared to previous Verticals and panaracers, but very grippy on 7 Stanes trails and dry natural stuff, better than the others i’ve tried.
    Not very grippy in mud in my limited experience, especially not much traction at the rear. (when it’s muddy I stick to trail centre stuff, or stuff I know will not be a quagmire!)

pimpmyride
    Free Member

So if they are directional does that mean a BG on the back will be a bad idea?
    I have a pair and thought you use them as a pair?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Use them as you see fit. Personal preference and all that.

The last couple of summers I’ve run 2.1s BG front and Nev Rear as my Dry-Intermediate conditions tyres. They’re my favourite to date , but for local mendip mud when the season turns, the BG doesn’t have enought bite and clogs too. The nevegal copes surprisingly well, drifts really nicely and doesn’t hold onto mud either, but spins out a bit early for slimy winter limestone climbs.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I have BG front & Nevegal rear. I think.

They seem ok.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Swapped last week from Nevegal Stick-e 2.35 front and back to BG DTC 2.35 front and Nevegal DTC 2.35 rear. Did a new bit of the trail at Hamsterley and the front washed out on some cinder as I turned into a small drop off. Had a fairly bad crash with a lot of bruising, can’t help thinking that the Stick-e Nevegals would have held once the tyre was through the loose stuff.

zaskar
    Free Member

BG is a dry tyre?

Try a Maxis Minion on the front.

Leku
    Free Member

on one have the 2.35 folding for £15 plus p&p.

Del

woolly hat shop have or had 2.35 kenda bg or nevegal wire bead for 22quid/pair shipped. i likes ’em.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Are Kenda Blue groove tires any good?’ is closed to new replies.