Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Are FSA Gossamer Chainsets compatible with Shimano BB's?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Have an FSA Gossamer chainset on my cross bike and think the BB needs replacing as once the bike has been left standing for a few days the cranks offer a bit of resistance on their 1st turn.

The FSA BB is £40 so was wondering if a Shimano BB at half the prise would fit?

Ta.

druidh
    Free Member

Yes. It’s only Truvativ/SRAM that you have to watch (and Campag, obviously)

carbon337
    Free Member

Apparently some are and some are not. Suppose the HT2 Shimanos are cheap enough to take a chance.

Im in the same boat – contemplating an uletgra one insted of megaExo

The problem is the width of the crank axle from what ive read.

njee20
    Free Member

Not quite that straightforward, there are different FSA BBs, but IIRC it’s the carbon chainsets that use one, and the alu another (which is Shimano compatible). So yes, you can use a Shimano BB.

woody2000

Some FSA BB’s are 19mm instead of 24mm – the Omega I think (BB4000). I found this out when I bought a crankset thinking it would be Shimano compatible and it wasn’t. Check carefully!

brassneck

Mines actually ISIS. It still works just fine too!

Jason
    Free Member

I am using a Shimano BB with the FSA Grossamer cranks on my CX bike. It fits fine, but was a tight fit.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yep, it’s the carbon ones the need the FSA Mega bb.

njee20
    Free Member

Mines actually ISIS. It still works just fine too!

Huh? An ISIS chainset won’t work with a Hollowtech 2 (or any) Shimano BB…

brassneck

Huh? An ISIS chainset won’t work with a Hollowtech 2 (or any) Shimano BB…

Yes I know, but my FSA Gossamer is ISIS. Just in case the OP isn’t 100% sure what he has got and wastes a few quid, it’s worth pointing out.

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers all, is HT2.

Will go for Shimano then.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Are FSA Gossamer Chainsets compatible with Shimano BB's?’ is closed to new replies.