Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are floor pumps better than foot pumps?
  • kwack
    Free Member

For pumping MTB tyres – and if so are there any recommendations on floor pumps?

Cheers
    Kwack

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You mean track pumps? More traditional in cycling yes, I doubt they’re any ‘better’.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh yes, loads better. They compress the air in the correct way and give a better ride and more grip as a result….

finbar
    Free Member

More traditional in cycling yes, I doubt they’re any ‘better’.

What!? Track pumps are immeasurably better.

I’ve got the cheapest Specialized one. I’ve had it for about four years so far, it’s great.

kwack
    Free Member

Something I have never had tbh and just used the foot pump but that is now broken and doesnt cover off presta valves?

Will look out for good deals on track pumps – and I agree any better air in the tyres will surely make me ride better.

Wheres the nitrogen?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What!? Track pumps are immeasurably better.

How? One you press with your hands, the other with your foot. Contrary to my last post, they do actually do the exact same job of introducing air into a tyre….

finbar
    Free Member

Yes, but track pumps do it in about 1/10 of the time.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Track pumps are pretty essential once someone gets into road riding – a track pump is needed to achieve the higher pressures needed.

tthew

Foot pumps are a right P.I.t.A. to use compared to a track pump, so much so in fact that I top up my car tyres with the track pump.

The mechanism on a foot pump is designed to make it easy for unfit motorists to blow up their tyres, rufty tufty cyclists don’t get all that mechanical assistance, and the pumps are much better for it.

martymac

track pumps are miles better, ive got one from halfords, it was a gift from a mate, but it was about 30 quid.
    dont spend a fortune on one, but dont buy the cheapest one either.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The mechanism on a foot pump is designed to make it easy for unfit motorists to blow up their tyres,

Varying quality and designs are availible.

jfletch
    Free Member

I bought the cheapest one… from Decathlon. It works fine but now I find the air in my tyres may not be up to the job?

Maybe I need one of these? A bargain at £119.99 down from an RRP of £149.99. That air really would make you faster.

soobalias
    Free Member

rencompressor – inherited it from my dad

finbar
    Free Member

Varying quality and designs are availible.

There’s no hand pump that’ll pump up tyres anywhere near as fast as a track pump though. I’ve got a Lezyne hand pump and they’re about as good as it gets, i’d still never use that if i was at home and my track pump was handy.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

EPIC READING FAIL

Are floor pumps better than foot[/u] pumps?

finbar
    Free Member

Saying “epic fail” is an epic fail. You’re right though, i must have subconsciously read it as hand pump because i can’t imagine anyone using a foot pump for a bicycle.

epicyclo

Be careful not to use a road track pump for mtb tyres.

It’s completely the wrong sort of air. Could lead to a severe case of lycraphilia.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Are floor pumps better than foot pumps?’ is closed to new replies.