Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 221 total)
  • Are any of the political parties planning to scrap the 60% tax rate at 100-120k?
  • tonyg2003

I love this thread, it starts with some wealthy people complaining that they pay too much tax and then morphs into some wealthy people telling us how we would all be screwed if they didn’t pay their taxes.
    You can’t be Scrooge and Jesus at the same time folks…

I’m with you on this. Get paid over £100k and complaining that you pay too much tax is pretty tasteless. Also before anyone says this is me being jealous I’m the MD of a company across 7 countries.

peterfile
    Free Member

International stationery division slow today tony? 🙂

tonyg2003

Boring conference in Lisbon 🙂 death by PowerPoint

gonefishin
    Free Member

Has anyone really complained about paying too much tax? Just because some of us, myself included, have criticised this particular anomaly in the tax system, it doesn’t mean that I think I pay too much tax.

peterfile
    Free Member

Boring conference in Lisbon death by PowerPoint

Just noticed the International Egg Conference is on in Lisbon today.

The potential for pun related yolks is huge.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Has anyone really complained about paying too much tax?

No no one has ever complained about this ever 😛

Yes they have. Many people, at various tax points, think they pay too much tax.

tonyg2003

Sounds more fun than Molecular Diagnostics Europe!

br
    Free Member

I’m with you on this. Get paid over £100k and complaining that you pay too much tax is pretty tasteless.

Not sure why you’d think this, any of us, irrelevant of earnings, is absolutely entitled to complain about paying too much tax.

Especially when you see how the Govt spends it.

bigrich

I get over 100k and I happily pay tax, as I like contributing to society.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Junky, on this thread, NOT in general terms.

miketually
    Free Member

I get under 40k and I happily pay tax, as I like contributing to society.

😉

miketually
    Free Member

The number of people posting here that they earn over £100k explains why I can’t afford anything reviewed in the magazine 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

The whole thread is about reducing/removing the anomaly between 100-120 which leads to many feeling they pay to much [ marginal] tax at this point. Personally I dont see how you can argue to reduce your tax bill without implicitily stating you are paying too much tax
    On your broader point i dont think we have had a the state is too big, lets reduce all tax I pay too much etc style post but I may have missed it.

My post was largely tongue in cheek

nemesis
    Free Member

How much you earn and how much you’re willing to spend on a bike or anything else aren’t always linked… ( I don’t earn over 100k mind)

jfletch
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if Labour are going to reverse the university fee situation? Not a loaded question, I’m genuinely interested.

They’re proposing lowering the fee from £9k per year to £6k per year, which will make no difference to the majority of graduates as most won’t ever pay off their loans fully regardless of their level

It’s shit like this which makes it impossible to trust the labour party with anything to do with money. They just love a soundbite but don’t think through the realtities of what the are proposing.

The £9,000 a year figure is a nasty headline but it’s not realy what people pay since not everyone pays back their load. And only the top earners will pay back the 27k + interest over their working life. If labour reduce the fees to 6k then these top earners now only have to pay 18k + interest back but the lower earner who would only have paid back 15k anyway still pays the same.

So bascially Labour’s progressive and benevolent reduction in the student load just saves the richest a load of cash but doesn’t help the people who earn less one little bit.

If they were serious about reducing the cost of being a student they could have scrapped fees entirely, funded via general taxation or even a graduate tax, or changed the thresholds at which you pay back your load.

But no, just a poorly though out headline. Incompetant idiots.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I get under 40k and I happily pay tax, as I like contributing to society.

And the link between the two parts of the sentence? Are any parts exclusive?

Re the bikes and £100k – good point – but equally perhaps some of those people have better uses of their money and/or lack the time to get the full benefit is a fancy bike. 😳

bigrich

I got a free university education, just like the pricks who brought in fees.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They just love a soundbite but don’t think through the realtities of what the are proposing.

I assume you can tell me where the Tories extra money for the NHS is coming [ was it 19 times the chancellor failed to answer it ?] or where the £12 billion welfare cuts are made?

your point is a valid one but to make it party political one just shows your bias.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I know your post was partly in jest, I should have put a smiley at the end of mine. I take your point on the reducing of taxable income but my point was to highlight how tax rates do influence behaviour. After all if you were offered an investment opportunity where a £40 initial investment immediately became £100 would you take it?

mashiehood
    Free Member

spot on Jfletch – link here to an interesting article by Allister Heath (whos Cit AM articles i do miss!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Of course i would take the investment

Its been an interesting debate and it has changed my mind in that we do need to start afresh with the taxation system as there are some strange anomalies within the system both in terms of individual earnings v households and also the marginal rates on high earners.

Child benefit is a good example where they do a mixture of implement something fair but in a cost effective manner so the results is less fair[ sometimes unfair] than intended.

An overhaul is warranted but I cannot see it happening

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, Heath is accurate on many points. A surprisingly lacklustre campaign to date – headlines not perspective or insight

Big rich – did you thank the half of the population who helped pay for your education but didn’t enjoys it’s benefits too? Very generous of them – an a wonderfully regressive policy !?!

Flat rate, with high minimum threshold (higher the better) – simple, cheap, effective, progressive, morally fair if not completely perfect, but what version is? Stop Chancellors screwing about with hidden changes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fair 😯 Well that you and UKIP arguing for it – though Nigel did describe the manifesto as drivel so I have no idea if they still support it

The millionaire to pay exactly the same tax rate as the young nurse, the home help, the worker on the minimum wage”

Lets not do the pin dance that is marginal rates of tax again as the fact is that if they are above the threshold all of them pay the same % of tax on their earnings for the money above the threshold

Almost no one thinks its fair and surveys consistently show the overwhelming majority [ 85% + iirc] think the rich should pay more [%] tax than the poor.
    A flat rate has no support in this country, nor even in america.
    Its unfair and everyone knows it.

miketually
    Free Member

Big rich – did you thank the half of the population who helped pay for your education but didn’t enjoys it’s benefits too? Very generous of them – an a wonderfully regressive policy !?!

Do we not all benefit from living in a country with more well-educated people?

I was lucky enough to go to university before tuition fees were introduced, though I missed out on the grants. I did manage to get a funded Masters degree, by virtue of the area I live being designated as deprived by the EU.

My education was funded by the tax payers of the time, and I hoped that my children would get theirs funded in the same way through my taxes, but sadly that seems like it probably won’t happen.

miketually
    Free Member

There’s an interesting line in that Heath article:

Of course, rail commuters, who tend to earn much more than average, will benefit, and the idea will therefore be very popular in some quarters, but that’s not the point.

I wonder why it is that rail commuters tend to earn more than average?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Those with degrees earn more and therefore pay higher taxes over their lifetime as a result of the education. One can even make an argument for it based only money raised by it.

I very much doubt THM objects to education/ degrees so I am not sure why he made that point tbh.

jfletch
    Free Member

This graph shows the % of salary paid in income tax vs total salary and also total income tax paid vs salary.

It shows that the % paid ramps up sharply after each threshold but the absolute value is probably closer to the curve we’d like it to be where the total amount rises more quickly than the salary. You can see the 100-120k anomaly where tax rises faster than before or after this blip. It’s highlights why it’s frustrating when you just move over a threshold as the % paid surely starts to ramp up more sharply. A flat rate would avoid this but probably isn’t progressive enough for most people’s tastes, more thresholds would create a smoother curves so eliminating the pinch points but may be hard to implement (a thought it would be a damn sight easier than removing the personal allowance as today)

Of course this only shows income tax and doesn’t include national insurance, council tax and VAT. And since council tax and VAT aren’t linked to income but instead closer linked to consumption choices you couldn’t add these anyway.

I’d be interested what mechanisms other countries use and what this means their progressive curves look like. As I understand the U.S. system is insanely complicated, the French rely much more heavily on payroll taxes etc.

miketually
    Free Member

Nice graph. I’d like to see a version with the tax paid and salary scales are equal, and with a third line for take-home pay.

It shows that the % paid ramps up sharply after each threshold

The steepest part of the percentage line is for people working full time on minimum wage…

jfletch
    Free Member

I wonder why it is that rail commuters tend to earn more than average

Correlation not causation. Probably because rail disproportionately favours central London. Also people are willing to travel further and pay more to get to higher paid jobs. People don’t tend to rail commute to low paid jobs in retail, manufacturing or service industries as the jobs are either local to them or out of town.

Transport and town planning policy is actually one way social mobility can be enhanced and total tax made much more progressive. Through the use of subsidised public transport, cycling and walking people can be saved for the “need a car” tax threshold as driving is one of the key reasons lower earners end up paying a much higher % of their salary in tax (VAT on car purchase/maintenance and fuel VAT/duty are not progressive)

konabunny
    Free Member

I wonder why it is that rail commuters tend to earn more than average?

Because of reasons.

Okay, I’ll be less glib. There are many reasons why. Apart from anything else, there are probably quite a few people who wouldn’t be able to afford to commute by train if they didn’t commute by train (esp if it’s a longer commute into London). There are plenty of people who are paid not very well paid by London standards but still above the UK average, and commute by train. Outside the SE, it’s harder to commute by train, so workers there don’t, and they get paid less. And there are plenty of people who would be better off getting paid less and working locally instead of going into London, once they account for the cost of their commuter pass (let alone lost time!).

ninfan
    Free Member

True that, I’ve known a couple of peple who do the London commute and when they did the sums would be better off working locally, or only a couple of grand worse off in return for two hours plus at home daily

jfletch
    Free Member

Nice graph. I’d like to see a version with the tax paid and salary scales are equal, and with a third line for take-home pay.

Like this?

The take home numbers are wrong as NI isn’t included, and very few people don’t have other deductions like pension anyway so it’s a bit meaningless.

Also IMO the % line is also misleading as it appears to be very unfair on lower earners. at first glance I suspect most people would want the curve the other way up but then it very quickly reaches 100% which I think we can all agree is obscured. The area chart is much more useful.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh, so there has been some editing, so can’t respond to the specific point.

The Uni fees has many elements to it, but the point I was making, was that under free Uni fees (yes I benefitted) others were forced to pay for me to benefit. Why is that fair? In those days only @30% (guesstimate) school leavers went on to tertiary education versus Bliar’s 50% target. Even then, the other 50% are subsidising those who are lucky (privileged 😉 ) enough to have a Uni education. Odd logic.

Do we not all benefit from living in a country with more well-educated people?

Yes but be careful, that starts to sound like trickle down type arguments!!

andytherocketeer

call it an investment.
    they funded your uni course (and mine).
    you and me are going to be funding their state pension, NHS requirements and nursing home.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Now we won’t, the government spent all that already. It’s our children’s generation that will (inheritance tax aside), poor guys!!!

But would love to hear the politician who propose that. I am going to ask you to help pays for those guys to get better paid jobs so that in 30 years time they will be providing for your old age. Please form an orderly queue….

dragon
    Free Member

So we are all in agreement then the whole tax system needs simplifying and not one party is going to do it. In fact pretty much every party wants to make it worse 😥 Stupid really as the other advantage of a simpler tax system is that it would be harder to use clever techniques to avoid paying your share. And all parties are telling us they want to increase tax take.

Career advice to anyone who wants to make money, go into accountancy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The problem with a flat rate of tax is that it would have to be in the mid/high 30’s – eg 37%. There would be uproar that this was a tax cut for the rich and a tax rise for “hard working families” so its never going to happen. Singapore and HK which have top rates of tax at 15% and 20% don;t have flat rates, even there it’s progressive.

On the tax graphs you could indeed add VAT in with assumptions based upon spending habits as your income rises and taking into account the zero/low rated VAT elements like food and heating, then including things like air duty paid more by middle class who take more flights. What I am certain you would see is that the low paid really pay relatively little as a percentage. Of course as you get to very high earnings where substantial amounts are saved and not spent it becomes a bit more tricky but that £150k car has £30k of VAT on it. Plus the impact of high earners not tending to use NHS (private medical) or state schools.

Rail Commuters: Highly skewed by those that commute into London for well paid jobs? BTW even if commute costs look expensive today many people will take a view their prospects are better in the medium/long term so commute cost is worth paying. It used to cost me circa £7k to commute in to work include car parking, although I could save £40 a week in the summer by walking to the station. As a person with a family that was pretty much the only choice as housing costs and schooling where very restricted.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    The problem with a flat rate of tax is that it would have to be in the mid/high 30’s – eg 37%. There would be uproar that this was a tax cut for the rich and a tax rise for “hard working families” so its never going to happen. Singapore and HK which have top rates of tax at 15% and 20% don;t have flat rates, even there it’s progressive.

True up until the last bit. A flat rate tax with a threshold is a progressive tax. The higher the threshold, the greater the level of progressiveness. It’s a simple spreadsheet and if you don’t trust your maths, read the Mirlees Report,

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its not progressive its a flat rate with a threshold which is why you have to describe it as that

Progressive Tax
    |
    DEFINITION OF ‘PROGRESSIVE TAX’
    [1]A tax that takes a larger percentage from the income of high-income earners than it does from low-income individuals. [2]The United States income tax is considered progressive: in 2010, individuals who earned up to $8,375 fell into the 10% tax bracket, while individuals earning $373,650 or more fell into the 35% tax bracket. Basically, taxpayers are broken down into categories based on taxable income; the more one earns, the more taxes they will have to pay once they cross the benchmark cut-off points between the different tax bracket levels.

My numbering

The threshold enables one to claim differences in the tax paid as a % of Total income [ hence the spreadsheet appeal] ie 1 in the definition above. However, clearly, the very word flat rate means everyone pays the EXACT same amount from the moment they pay tax irrespective of whether it is £1 above threshold or £1 billion. Its clearly not true that the flat rate really means progressive/ increasing as you earn more. Its the same for each point above threshold. So its not true for type 2

We can all do the maths and you can argue flat rate with threshold is progressive but the marginal tax rate is identical for all earners at all points on the system . That is not progressive its flat hence why we call it flat and not progressive
    Essentially the average tax rate [ % of total income] is progressive and marginal tax is flat.
    Given we all agree its a flat rate tax it seems better to call the spade a spade.

Either way its irrelevant as only UKIP proposed a flat rate tax though Farage has subsequently described the manifesto as drivel. No else thinks its fair and it wont happen here for the reasons Jam notes. It will pass the burden from the richer to the poorer.

IMHO most people will struggle to see that as fairer system even if THM does.

What is it 85% that support redistributive/ true progressive [ type 2] taxes.

plyphon
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 221 total)

The topic ‘Are any of the political parties planning to scrap the 60% tax rate at 100-120k?’ is closed to new replies.