Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Are all 5.1 brake fluids the same?
  • J0N
    Free Member

I need to bleed my Avid juicy's and need new brake fluid.
    Can I just go to Halfords or a Motorbike shop for some sensibly priced DOT 5.1 fluid or is Sram's own a better option?

eshershore
    Free Member

no difference except price

go to motorbike supplier or Halfords and you will pay 1/5th of the price 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

depends, one brand of 5.1 will differ from another, to the extent that some dot4's are 'better' than dot5.1

Unless you regularly boil them I wouldnt worry, and if you do boil them you'll need to do the seals etc as well.

slowrider
    Free Member

yeah there are differences, boiling temp etc.

best deal i got was off ebay, about 1/4 price of bike stuff.

Ogg

The SRAM stuff looks like a rip off at 12 quid for 250ml, Hope/Lockheed is 4 quid for 250ml, Unipart is about 5 quid for 500ml – Any dot 5.1 will be fine though.

Bottom of this page http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BrakeFluidComparison.html has some spec comparisons

Castrol SRF seems to be the 'best' (40quid a litre though) doubt it's particulary relevant unless your brakes are boiling though.

Ewan
    Free Member

Probably not on a very detailed level, but yes on any level that matters. 5.1 is a spec, so if it says 5.1 it'll meet that spec.

Info:

http://www.xpowerforums.com/Brake_Fluidsl_FA_Questions.htm

cp

buy it in the smallest containers you can, then next time you bleed use a new container. once you've broken the seal the pot of fluid will start absorbing moisture making it pointless to use in the future.

schrickvr6
    Free Member
    schrickvr6
    Free Member

One thing to bare in mind is that higher performing race orientated fluids need changing more often.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Are all 5.1 brake fluids the same?’ is closed to new replies.