Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • April/May break thoughts – Fort William?
  • professor_fate
    Free Member

Thinking about a 5-6 day riding break in Scotland- natural technical trails ideally so would Fort William fit the bill? Planning on driving up from London so able to get around the area.

Waderider
    Free Member

There isn’t 5-6 days worth of natural technical trails in the immediate area of Fort William. I live there. You’ll need to move about to avoid repetition. Head for Torridon first.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What Waderider said ( & I don’t live there) Very little round Ft Willy apart from Nevis Range & Laggan (as far as Trail Centre stuff goes) Even decent natural trails are quite sparse.
    The ‘Tour de Ben Nevis’ is a good ride though.

As said, Torridon.

gfrew88
    Free Member

The ‘Tour de Ben Nevis’ is a good ride though.

Depends what you consider to be a good ride. I would say otherwise…..

Much better riding around Kinlochleven and I would also head for Aviemore which has more than enough to kill 5 days. If you get the chance Dunkeld is well worth a visit.

oikeith

sorry to hijack, I am doing the same trip from the SW in June, was planning on riding the two tracks at Fort William and had also hoped there would be some good singletrack around too.

I can see Torringdon is around 2.5hours from Fort William, is it worth the drive? Then a quick google and eyeball suggests there are many trails in the national park, is there a recommendation from you guys?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree with Gregor, TDBN is up there with the Burma road – surrounded by lovely scenery, but not the best of riding IMO.

FW would be a good base-

– day on the gondola
    – day riding KLL enduro stuff
    – day doing the Ciaran path/Devils staircase loop
    – day at Laggan, including the off piste stuff
    -You could easily spend a day riding the newer fresh cut stuff around FW and up and back to the CIC hut on Nevis…

Cairngorms aren’t even very far for a couple of days if you wanted, 90 mins drive to Aviemore.

Northwind

Kinlochleven is just down the road, one of the best places I’ve ever ridden. And easy to navigate too which is a bonus.

Have you done the downhill? It’s not natural obviously, at all, but it’s still good and a change of pace for a day. I know enough riding in the forest to do a good offpiste day at nevis range but I feel like there’s a lot more I just don’t know about- there’s little tempting trailheads and interesting exits onto other trails pretty much everywhere…

Laggan makes for a good mixup, with teh trailcentre on one side of the road and the “brown” on the other.

13thfloormonk

Don’t forget the Loch Morar out and back, for natural, technical, stunning scenery you can’t go wrong. Very few mega descents though, you’re just undulating up and down along a lochside.

birky
    Free Member

The 6 Days Trial is held the first week of May so you might want to avoid then.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Blimey, that’s a load of excellent responses and gives me plenty to mull over – thanks folks!

NZCol

It’ll be raining, you know that ?

el_boufador

The midge won’t be in full force though – it’s a good time of the year to go!

scotroutes

Dunno. If there’s no proper frost this winter then we can look forward to an early, and very prolific, first hatch!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The 6 Days Trial is held the first week of May so you might want to avoid then

Primarily why I’ll be there that week.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘April/May break thoughts – Fort William?’ is closed to new replies.