Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Apparently eating too much makes you obese…… shocker!
  • Edukator
    Free Member

What’s French toast (says the man with a French passport)?

Well today’s activity has included sex, converting trees into firewood, a couple of kms in the pool and bicycle transport. On the average American calorie intake I’d have already run out of calories and be incapable of accompanying Madame to the sales. “Be right with you dear!”.

This could be expensive. :-/

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have nothing to add.

This is because I’m not overweight and seemingly this means that my methods of weight control are irrelevant to those that are overweight.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Eat nothing and then see what happens.

Not a lot (litteraly)

1st – you have no energy, so no excercise, so the body moves onto stage 2

2nd – the body eats its own energy stores, muscle and fat

3rd – you eventualy binge and put on the weight as fat again but your metabolisms now lowered due to the muscle loss.

molgrips
    Free Member

Michael Phelps eats 12000 calories a day, he looks in pretty good shape

Yeah, I don’t expect be burns up that much in exercise tho. That’d be like cycling flat out for 12 hours. Which backs up my point. Something’s going on inside his body that means that lot doesn’t get stored as fat.

Eat carbs, body burns them, stores any it can as fat, and stores the remaining fat in the diet as fat due to the insulin response

Broadly.. according to wiki insulin has many effects – one of which is that it promotes your body to burn carbs (rather than fat), another is that it promotes the storage of fat. So you’re not burning up your stores of fat, and you’re depleting the blood sugar you have. And guess what, one of the triggers for hunger is lower blood sugar…

If I give in and have a twix in the afternoon, 60 mins later I am very hungry. If I don’t, I will be less hungry and last until dinnertime. Eating more sugar makes me hungrier than if I’d eaten nothing at all…

My sister doesn’t eat breakfast because she says if she does it makes her hungrier mid morning and she needs to eat again. I thought she was talking arse but now I see there’s a mechanism behind it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Eat nothing and then see what happens

What’s your point caller?

This is because I’m not overweight and seemingly this means that my methods of weight control are irrelevant to those that are overweight.

Not necessarily. It clearly works for you. More evidence and information allows us to build a better picture 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

one of which is that it promotes your body to burn carbs (rather than fat), another is that it promotes the storage of fat. So you’re not burning up your stores of fat, and you’re depleting the blood sugar you have. And guess what, one of the triggers for hunger is lower blood sugar…

If I give in and have a twix in the afternoon, 60 mins later I am very hungry. If I don’t, I will be less hungry and last until dinnertime. Eating more sugar makes me hungrier than if I’d eaten nothing at all…

That explains why I can quite happily munch my way through an enire multipack of mars bars :p

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Right, I’m guessing that’s a joke TINAS, but… it does seem that the overweight have greater self-control issues when it comes to food than slimmer people.

How were people rewarded when they were young, or what was done to make you feel better as a kid?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe, depends on the size of the multipack, 200g bars of chcolate can be dispatched pretty promptly (especialy on the bike when I wont notice the sugar rush).

92.5kg +/-2.5kg for the past 3 years, went down to the 80’s on the i-dave diet but 2 weeks holliday* + 2 weeks in a hotel* with work + staying at a friends means I’m back to 94kg.]

*semi i-dave, fryup breakfast followed by steak for dinner every night in the same restaurant got boring after 5 days on both occasions so I sliped. Recon the result would have been much worse on pasta etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And no I had a perfectly normal childhood, probably less sweets/junk than most kids and mostly home cooked meals.

Unless your sugesting that the retrictions as a kid meant I now want them more?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

See TINAS, 4 weeks for you to gain, what, a stone?… I think a bit of that is You. It’s not just the food, but your relationship with it, how you respond to boredom etc.

I trained stupidly hard for a week, eating utter crap, as much of it as I could. Straight after I didn’t train at all for over a week. I drank quite a bit during that time.

I stayed the same weight.

How?

I ate less.

I’m not trying to be a prick about all this.

Did you get taken to McDonalds etc as a kid?
    Did you get to choose the snacks you ate or was it determined by your parents?
    Is your father overweight?

molgrips
    Free Member

it does seem that the overweight have greater self-control issues when it comes to food than slimmer people.

Hmm, I think perhaps that’s part of it but also partly physiological factors. For example, if you’ve become used to eating lots of carbs I suspect your insulin response changes, perhaps producing too much as your body adapts to a carb rich diet and becomes very good at putting away carbs. I used to eat even more carbs many years ago and I’d get so hungry I couldn’t even think. Because there’s lag in the system, if I ate 400g of sweets in one go, say, that dumped so much insulin that it’d still be hanging around when all the sugar was gone and cause low blood sugar making me crazy hungry.

When I was used to a carb rich diet, being hungry wasn’t just fancying a snack. Especially if I was biking, it was an immense effort not to eat something. I couldn’t concentrate, I felt ill, I certainly couldn’t do any work.. I’d be sweating with the effort of it all. And because I’d been told to eat carbs, I’d go and get something carby which would only put me off for so long.

It’s all very well saying don’t eat stuff, but sometimes that just was not possible for well being – because I was not eating the right kinds of food (although according to conventional wisdom I was – this was years after the 400g of sweets phase).

And people who haven’t ended up in this situation for whatever reason just think you’re weak. Which is frigging annoying.

Did you get taken to McDonalds etc as a kid?
    Did you get to choose the snacks you ate or was it determined by your parents?
    Is your father overweight?

I feel like I’ve been in a similar position to tinas, so I’ll answer.

1) McDonalds? Never even heard of it til I was about 14, and there was one in my whole county. Went in about twice before I went to university. No fast food for us, my Mum was a PE teacher and very much into healthy eating
    2) Snacks strictly rationed.
    3) My Dad was always a beanpole – despite eating like a horse. Now at 66 he’s a beanpole with a bit of a tummy. Unless he does some strenuous DIY whereupon the tummy vanishes in days. I take after my mum, who used to be solidly built although never fat, but she trained herself to eat very small portions so is now skinny as.

I do absoutely love sweet food, more than you probably can imagine, but not for the reasons you mention. I suspect it’s partly the same reason that some people love a drink…

Re taking time off exercise – in November I was 94kg, after training all summer (with varying degrees of success). I didn’t do anything at all until about Feb, and I’d lost maybe 2-3kg. When my parents were here recently I had two weeks off, during that time I iDaved well and that was when I was 82kg – after not exercising.

I guess my body likes to stay the same weight.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you have my sympathy ……………fatty 😉

zokes
    Free Member

So, food sources which are easier / harder for the body to assimilate into fatty tissues result in less / more fat. Again, hardly science.

There are poor researchers in every institute, Harvard included.

Sure, it makes a mediocre news article, but a pretty poor journal paper. I’m highly surprised at the journal it ended up in.

DrP

You’ve only got to look at skinny lazy people (of whom there are many) who fill their faces to see that it is NOT as simple as eat less, do more. High metabolism, you say? Why? What makes their metabolism high? High in what way? Where does the extra energy they eat go?

I’m a slim, active person, with a fair bit of ‘leeway’ – if I eat a corker of a meal or don’t do sport for a while I don’t put on weight (yet!).
    I have a crude theory (based on myself) that if I eat a huge meal, I get way too hot throughout the day/evening – that’s generally how we ‘waste’ energy (creating heat) so I reckon my body just gets better at ‘wasting’ the excess calories.
    My wife thinks I’m mad…..

DrP

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

See, the only difference there molly is that chocolate wasn’t strictly rationed for me as a child. We had a huge draw full of chocolate and crips that we could tuck into as we wished. There are 4 of us and none of us overweight. Interestingly… one of my brother in laws grew up with sweet stuff being strictly rationed, many a time I’ve caught him sneeking off to stuff his face from the chocolate draw.

Maybe, just maybe, if you’re right and sweets perform the same function as alcohol…you should start drinking to help you lose weight?

molgrips
    Free Member

So, food sources which are easier / harder for the body to assimilate into fatty tissues result in less / more fat. Again, hardly science

Whatever you say, prof 🙂

DrP – quite possibly.. my Dad always used to be a very hot blooded person but now isn’t. And he still doesn’t really get fat.

molgrips
    Free Member

See, the only difference there molly is that chocolate wasn’t strictly rationed for me as a child.

Yes this is something that has occured to me. The rationing of treats could have reinforced the happiness aspect.

There are 4 of us and none of us overweight

Quite possibly genetic then 🙂

You DO have a compulsive personality then, and you’ve said you like a drink. Perhaps drink to you is like sweets for me, being a prohibited thing (when you were young) and associated with happiness and fun perhaps if your parents drank socially?

Mine did and do, and our best family times as kids were when loads of people were around say Christmas or New Year, and of course drink was flowing. I think my Sister in particular associated drink with happiness and fun, which was reinforced at university, leading to drinking too much really, until she had kids.

I sometimes think I’m lucky that I can’t apparently take booze.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not so sure about that. My Mum was overweight which caused her to become diabetic. My Dad is however slim / atheletic.

Interestingly, neither of them really drink and certainly didn’t when we were kids… too skint and just not bothered beyond enjoying a nice glass of wine.

Alcohol wasn’t really prohibited either… was bought booze by them for Fri & Sat nights from about the age of 14/15. By 17 they were letting me smoke weed in their garage.

How do you conclude I have a compulsive personality??

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you conclude I have a compulsive personality??

Cos you’re always obsessing about dieting even though you’re skinny as ****. And when I ask you why you don’t really have a reason 🙂 Plus I seem to remember you admitting you were a bit compulsive in some other thread.. perhaps about exercise. You must admit you are an exercise junkie?

(btw not meant in an offensive way, I hope you are not offended. Apologies if you are)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not at all offended… takes a great deal more than that!

I just like joining in on diet threads… all the exercise means that I need to think about the fuel I put in! That and my Dad really does obssess about food… always has and I think it’s a big part of why I look on food and exercise the way I do.

As for compulsive… probably a bit, I do like a nice routine… I also like doing things to a level that is beyond rationally sensible… doesn’t particularly matter what, as long as it’s excessive!

BermBandit
    Free Member

Eat nothing and then see what happens

What’s your point caller?

My point is that the bare bones of the issue is that if you don’t eat you will not put weight on. So at that point we have established one end of the spectrum. At the other there is the fact that if you stuff your face constantly and don’t exercise you will put weight on. So I think its fair to say that obesity in broad terms is a function of energy in exceeding energy out. You can dress it up however you like, but that’s the deal whether you like it or not. I have throughout conceded that there are issues that add complexity to the subject, but you cannot deny the simple facts. The vast majority of obese folk simply eat too much for their bodies energy needs. FACT!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yeah, I don’t expect be burns up that much in exercise tho. That’d be like cycling flat out for 12 hours. Which backs up my point. Something’s going on inside his body that means that lot doesn’t get stored as fat.

Haven’t you read the part in the 4 hour body about the cold water treatment? Water is 24 time more thermally conductive than air and donig 3-4 hour swimming would burn loads of calories

The nasa guy in 4 hour body lost loads of weight through cold water baths, showers and drinking ice cold water.

molgrips
    Free Member

So I think its fair to say that obesity in broad terms is a function of energy in exceeding energy out.

Did you actually read and think about my posts?

It is a simple equation and it is true.

BUT

Energy out is more than just the exercise you do

Do you understand what I am trying to say?

BermBandit
    Free Member

Yes, how about you ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I understand what you are trying to say, but I must say it doesn’t seem terribly useful I’m afraid. What are we expected to take from this simple equation?

It’s clear to me that there are ways of making weight loss much easier than simply restricting calories and riding more. Are you saying that’s all nonsense?

Keva
    Free Member

It’s clear to me that there are ways of making weight loss much easier than simply restricting calories and riding more. Are you saying that’s all nonsense?

obviously eating low GI and cutting out sugar helps, as has been proven by iDave and even to yourself to certain degree… but to get those last few pounds off Mol maybe try eating a bit less ? 🙂

Kev

molgrips
    Free Member

but to get those last few pounds off Mol maybe try eating a bit less ?

If you’ve been following the soap opera you’d know that eating less has actually been my downfall of late.

Keva
    Free Member

yeh I did read something about bingeing the other day !

Solo
    Free Member

TSY, MG.

If you two ride to 1/10th of the rate at which you post on here.

Then I reckon we’re on for a top level finish at SiTS, even with me draggin my ass about the place.

How are the arrangements coming along TSY ?.

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

If you two ride to 1/10th of the rate at which you post on here.

If I could ride whilst being at work then rest assured, I would 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

rest

WTF is rest??

molgrips
    Free Member

Can I quote you on that at SITS?

Solo
    Free Member

Thats the spirit 😀

Now !. WTF is happening, I hear nothing. Are we up to a full strength with respect to number of team members ?.

Anyone heard anything from iDave ?.

I will have spare lights should anyone need them.
    Good’uns

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… I will still organise this, although Molly you’ve nto replied but I might have to go to Swansea for a shotgun wedding.

Numbers so far are looking a bit shaky.

Dave said he was in.
    Solo you’re in.
    SimonB is in.

Solo
    Free Member

Hmmm… I will still organise this
    Yeah, I thought that was the idea 🙂

Hhmmm. I’ve started to hijack this thread.

Best get on the e-myther instead.

Apologies to the OP.
    😉

iDave
    Free Member

Michael Phelps calorie intake is related to being in cold(ish) water for much of the day. BAT at work.

molgrips
    Free Member

although Molly you’ve nto replied

I did!

I’m in!

I will arrange a reserve if the baby starts making a move.

iDave
    Free Member

Are we a 4 man convent team or 5 person monastery team

molgrips
    Free Member

We need a woman….

Solo
    Free Member

We need a woman….

Being a father with another one on the way, I think we’ll be keeping you away from the wimminz.

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Apparently eating too much makes you obese…… shocker!’ is closed to new replies.