Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • apologies…what tyre?
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Sorry, I know it’s another what tyre thread but I’d appreciate some advice.

Riding mainly at Afan / Brechfa and occasional CyB.

Just fitted a pair of Nobby Nics 2.25’s (last Friday) can’t seem to get on with them. The front end just doesn’t have enough bite for me. Tried 30psi and 40 psi on the front, but doesn’t feel that different – back tyre feels ok. I really like the fast rolling aspect of it and it makes climbing much easier – descending is a different matter.

I’ve been using Maxxis Minion 2.35 super tacky on the front for say the last 12 months – great tyre – but it makes the bile roll like a tractor….

Tried High Roller but didn’t inspire much confidence , tried panaracer fire pro’s – not that great.

Any recommendations appreciated

snaps
    Free Member

I didn’t get on with NNs either, but found most Michelins to be good.
    What pressure did you run the High roller at?
    I have found them to be really good on the front 2.5 60a compond UST at 32psi.

Denis99
    Free Member

I suppose I run my tyres a little hard – usually ran 40 psi in the front Minion and a little harder at the back.

HR would have been about the same.

Going to try the NN at 30psi front and 35psi rear.

james
    Free Member

“Tried High Roller but didn’t inspire much confidence”

Which ones? Theres quite a few of them, and there can be a lot of difference

1.9/2.1″ High roller (XC) have more spread out tread and much lower side (cornering) tread. They come in 70a (maxxis’ hardest compound) in both the wire and standard folding versions. The eXception 62a is also available, but more pricey

2.35″/2.5″ High Roller (FR/DH) have a closer together tread and much higher side (cornering) tread. They also come in the 60a Maxxpro and 42a supertacky compounds

dot
    Free Member

I’m really impressed with my Halo Choir Masters 2.3 (light-ish, big volume and a good price – roll well too!)

Denis99
    Free Member

2.1 XC High Roller, relegated to rear tyre duty after a poor initial try.

I suppose I got spoilt with the Minion – something like the Minion but without the tractor features – couldn’t believe how well the NN’s rolled (compared to what I’ve tried).

LBS have recommended trying the NN’s at the lower pressures above – failing that a Maxxis Ardent on the front with the NN at the back.

james
    Free Member

“2.1 XC High Roller”

In that case it’d be worth trying a high roller in a 2.35″ 60a. Either in a single ply(wire) or kevlar(Folding, which is 150-200g lighter depending on where you get the weight from)

I like my 2.35″ 60a folding ones, and my 2.5″ 60a single ply(wire) ones. The 2.5″ ones seem a lot draggier though, but more grippy

squin
    Free Member

I’ve just had my first ride of a Spesh Eskar 2.3 on the front. Very very nice. Light at 699g, chunky, seemed fast rolling and boy did it grip. Inspired confidence. At £23 it was a good price too.

jfeb
    Free Member

I use NN’s up front and have found 30psi is just right. At 25 psi the sidewalls collapse on hard cornering but at 30psi I have found them great. They work in so many conditions that I manage to leave them on all year round and their last of rolling resistance is a real bonus.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘apologies…what tyre?’ is closed to new replies.