Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Anyway to silence a Hope Pro 2 rear hub?
  • woody74

Does anyone know a way to silence a Hope Pro 2 rear hub? Got some new wheels a couple of months ago and first time user of the Hope rear hubs but the clicking is doing my head in. Mountain Biking is meant to be about enjoying the quiet and peacefulness of the country side. Currently that is being shattered by a never ending click!!

Help please or I will have to flog the wheel.

foxyrider
    Free Member

pack it with grease – that did it for me for a while! Not that I am really bothered either way.

Edit: Full instructions \/ \/ \/ 😉

shortcut

Take off the cassette, pull off the free hub body, stick lots of grease in, put it back together. All much quieter.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Too much grease can cause the freehub to slip.

Sell it and get a Shimano hub? That's what I did.

bigsi
    Free Member

It gets quiter over time but after a few rides you don't notice it. If it bothers you that much don't freewheel 😉

Drac

I never understand this I reckon the noise is ok and never notice it. Try a fixed hub they're the quietest you can get, also wrap your tyres in cotton wall to reduce the noise on the ground.

devs
    Free Member

It is a beautiful sexy sound. How peculiar that you want to get rid of it. It's the sound of freedom. Embrace the click!

Macavity
    Free Member

Oregon red fluid grease.
    Or thick gear oil.

walla24
    Free Member

its a good sound! it means the freehub is engaging correctly.
    packing it with grease may not be a good idea

Android
    Free Member

Just keep pedaling 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It is a beautiful sexy sound. How peculiar that you want to get rid of it. It's the sound of freedom. Embrace the click!

No, it's a god-awful, cheap sounding, racket. And 'SEXY'? You need to have a severe word with yourself about that, pal! 😯

wombat

Put it in the shed and don't touch it… 🙂

woody74

I can understand why some people would love the clicking sound as I always thought it sounded good when I was following people, It's just doing my nut in now. I think I'll try the pack it with grease option but that does make me think that it wont be engaging properly.

Could I fit a Shimano free hub?

alex222
    Free Member

the click is the best bit.

uplink
    Free Member

Take the pawls out?

joebickley
    Free Member

I find it to be much better than fitting a bell. When your on a trail and come up behind a slower ride or walker then they know you are there by the clicking. I find it avoids me actually having to have some social skills and say "excuse me" 🙂

cp

no, you can't fit a shimano freehub. Embrace the click 🙂

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Get a Campag hub, then when you use your Hope it'll seem insignificant. My Campag freehub scares the sh*t out of pedestrians, very useful.

ntreid
    Free Member

I know a bloke who, for the right price, could pop round and lean on the hub for you. No questions asked.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I didn't mean OVER pack it with grease but a little more grease won't cause the pawls to slip IMHO 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

Mountain Biking is meant to be about enjoying the quiet and peacefulness of the country side.

hmmm, maybe rambling would be better?

Jamesy
    Free Member

I love the sound of mine. hardly notice it , same goes for people saying Orange 5 are noisy but I never notice that either !

bumbly1
    Free Member

Woody74, just put enough grease to cover the ratchets and it will be much quieter, just done mine – the Hope video on rebuilding a Pro2 suggests grease round there.

Haze

Very much a buying point for me!

timraven

+1 for some grease and loving the click

It's there to let you know it needs a service 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

Grease here 🙂 Well in the teeth 😉

Bregante

I love that sound when my wheels leave the ground

ooh! that rhymes!

ChrisL

After a bit over a year my Pro II's freehub became quieter. It turned out that was because most of its springs had broken. So if your Pro II is quieter than it used to be, take it apart and give it a check!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you have been riding a long while you may remember Black Gold grease. It was originally Black, then turned green. It was the stickiest grease known to man. I think it was dinosaur snot or something similar.
    Smear freewheel with that – silence.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

it's a god-awful, cheap sounding, racket

Its the sound of quality, precise engineering. its one of the sounds of mountain biking that I love, but not as good as that sound of your tyres just sliding in the compression of a berm.

T666DOM

The noise is clearly the best part, rolling fast sounds like an angry wasp in a jar bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

kamen-rider
    Free Member

bit drastic but replace with one of these?

for the record…I baulked at the price and kept my proII – angry buzz and all. My Alfine on the other hand though is nice and quite. Only complaint – that it was built to a XC rim and not to a fatter one.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I hate the sound of a Hope rear hub. Its like a football rattle.

Get a CK hub and enjoy a real "bees in a jar" sound

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

daveob
    Free Member

It must be marmite, because I love it.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

sounds good but there's nowt worse than pushing your bike due to a mechanical with the slow click, click, click of a proII. It's like water torture.

devs
    Free Member

No, it's a god-awful, cheap sounding, racket. And 'SEXY'? You need to have a severe word with yourself about that, pal!

You are obviously sexually immature and surpressed. If the sound of a Pro 2 whirring doesn't bar you up you probably have "I love Limahl" written on your pencil case. It's the 21st century. Loving precision engineering is acceptable nowadays. Don't you watch Futurama?

Goz
    Free Member

Why worry?….love the sound keeps me company.

smiffy

Too much grease can cause the freehub to slip.

Not in my experience.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Anyway to silence a Hope Pro 2 rear hub?’ is closed to new replies.