Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • anyone who's had pro coaching sessions – was it good?
  • Lofty
    Free Member

For a while I’ve fancied getting a couple of sessions pro tutoring as I expect I’ll learn a lot from it. Has anyone tried it? I’m pretty capable already but I’m far from pro!

Will I get much from a couple of sessions at a local trail centre?

Northwind

Assuming a decent coach, you’ll get out of it whatever you put in. I’ve done a couple and tbh I could definately have taken more away, I fell back into bad habits. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t worthwhile- each time it’s taken off rough edges and improved things enough to be worth the price.

Not gamechanging for me but then I’m not sure I need gamechanging. Planning to do one specically for jumping at some point as that’s now definately my weakest point.

tomhoward

I did, they really get you focussing on the basics, which makes the trickier stuff easier, if you see what I mean? Go for it, worst that happens is you have a day out on the bike!

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Short answer; yes. Definitely go see Jedi right now.

Long answer; I’ve been riding for a relatively long time and while experienced struggled in certain areas plus I’m always
    Looking to improve so I went in with specific ideas about what I wanted from a session and I got out what I wanted I think. The interesting thing is how small some of the changes you can make are, yet what a huge impact they can have on your riding.

slowrider
    Free Member

Just get it booked. If you want to improve its the logical step. You can’t put a price on skills, confidence and most importantly fun!

My recommendation, like so many others, would be Jedi. I’ve been to others but he clearly has a far greater understanding of the fundamental skills and how different folk achieve them than anyone I’ve met.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes but only if you are willing to listen.

Set goals/objectives but also let them steer you a bit.
    Do you want to be technically better, smoother, faster or learn some better race craft etc.

A trail the Pro knows well will suit best as they will already have spots to teach things lined up and be quicker/easier.

I had a 1 to 1 from Cyclewise in Whinlatter, great evening 1 week before I went to the Mega. Really sorted a lot out and helped me.

ahwiles
    Free Member

would i spend £200 on another 1-1 session?

definitely not.

would i spend £50 to be part of a group session?

maybe…

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m glad I did mine but it won’t make you a great rider straight off, what it does do is give you the confidence you’re doing stuff right and then you just need to go off and practice – it takes quite a lot of time IMO to unlearn bad habits and I still struggle with things like looking far enough down the trail as I often ride in a group so end up watching the trail just after the guy in front’s rear tyre.

howellj1
    Free Member

Yes – listen and be prepared to try out stuff that feels unnatural to start with; also adds a lot of confidence to your rides if you are tackling harder trails than you normally ride. Buddy up and split the cost – you can also learn a lot by watching someone else (while you have a breather).

timraven

Go to Jedi, in a group, great fun.

You will learn, it’s amazing how useful it is to have an independent person watch and critique your riding.

And it’s a day out on the bike, which is always good 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You won’t need a full day on your own. If your going to do group stuff make sure your all similar or aiming for the same stuff or someone will be left out a bit.

Northwind

I reckon I got more from a halfday 1 to 1 with Dirtschool than a full group day, and the price wasn’t much different. Single sessions can be tailored more to you obviously and you spend less time standing about (though, obviously fitness dependant that might not be a problem!). We never stopped so packed a lot in.

With groups there’s a bit of a risk that not everyone is wanting the same things from it. Actually, this is the only criticism I had of Dirtschool, the coaching was ace but when I did the “trail highschool” there was one person who was frankly on the wrong course. In the end Andy changed the day to suit them and the rest of us suffered for it. Wasn’t totally delighted. But still, worth it.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Yes, went to see Jedi with two mates… an ideal number, I think, as you get one-to-one coaching but without one-on-one pressure. The Jedi style is very much about what makes you tick, and how you learn best, so each one of us was coached slightly differently right down to the tone-of-voice. It definitely made the most of the day. Highly recommended.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘anyone who's had pro coaching sessions – was it good?’ is closed to new replies.