Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Anyone watching the Dauphine? (SPOILERS!)
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Another great stage!

I can’t be bothered with the doping talk, there’s zero evidence that Froome is doping other than he’s won a couple of races in his time. He’s hardly just took 6 minutes out of the peloton in a Lance stylee.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

He’s hardly just took 6 minutes out of the peloton in a Lance stylee.

No he went from literally nowhere, climbing with the grupetto to in a space of 2 years suddenly out climbing the best climbers in the world whilst also being able to out timetrial multiple TT world champions! Indurain, Nibali, Contador, Quintana, Tony Martin, Cancellara etc have never been able to pull that off. Theres a reason TT specilists are poor climbers, they need power and are therefore heavier. no spindly 60kg rider can pull both off without considerable extras thrown into training!

igm

Contador is a better climber and almost as good TT – but to be fair eats beef.

Froome is not the best climber on short stuff – he seems good when you have to pace a long effort (a bit like a TT)

Froome is not the best TTer – he’s good after the mountains or if there’s some gradient.

Doesn’t seem that odd to me. And it wasn’t over night if you remember the Vuelta the year Wiggins got the Tour.

And the accusation you make could be made about many others – Evans or Wiggins to name two.

scaredypants

My only evidence that I’d cite against Froome is his style – **** me, even I look better on a bike that that !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wondered if that was Sky saying they did what they had to with a previous champion but watching someone trying not to lose time on climbs and waiting for the TT just wasn’t inspiring.

Sometimes winning isn’t pretty, sometimes you do what you need to do and play to your strengths. The course that year suited a very strong TT rider, the Sky team that year were exceptionally strong. The year after needed a different approach, with the 2012 team they could probably have dictated the pace again, not having a very strong team makes the racing more exciting.

slowoldman

My only evidence that I’d cite against Froome is his style – **** me, even I look better on a bike that that !

Yes I certainly don’t like watching him. Contador or Nibali are much more fluent. But they don’t give style points in bike racing.

convert

Yes I certainly don’t like watching him.

From that perspective he was a rubbish replacement for Wiggins for Sky. I know he is successful but how many folk want to be him, have a man crush on him or he is the housewives’ favourite for? Aesthetically in every sense of the word he is a marketing damp squib.

And that’s before the pretend Brit jibes are made.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Why all this Froome bashing? Maybe an British thing.

I don’t recall so many questions when Nibbles won last year. No form all season, a distinctly dodgy DS sending him derogatory letters about the same, then suddenly the TdF supreme form.

Reading Froome’s book at the moment. A very driven, but honest person imo. Admits his bike handling skills are cr**. Something for his opponents to work on on the pave me thinks.

scaredypants

From that perspective he was a rubbish replacement for Wiggins for Sky

Depends a bit on Sky’s intentions doesn’t it ?

The team they built was a juggernaut that (tried to) crushed all comers under the power of the train. The stages in that “wiggo” year were made-to-measure for a time-trialler with a powerful team and so it went

If all they want is to say that they won, Froome’s (or possibly Bertie, if it wasn’t for that pesky declaration he’d have to sign) probably their boy for a more “conventional” tour course. Nobody in Sky’s markets is going to cheer harder for Quintana than they do for Froome.
    … And anyway, Wiggo was good box-office as well as that but, honestly, how many Sky boxes would they have shifted on the back of that ?

Spin
    Free Member

No he went from literally nowhere, climbing with the grupetto to in a space of 2 years suddenly out climbing the best climbers in the world whilst also being able to out timetrial multiple TT world champions!

That kind of reasoning will kill any enjoyment you have in the sport because its logical conclusion is to doubt any rapid rise through the ranks or stand out performance.

My strategy is to take all results at face value and just enjoy the racing until there’s some solid evidence against a rider or team. I’m not aware of any evidence of that nature against Froome or Sky.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m not aware of any evidence of that nature against Froome or Sky.

Either Sky are running a very sophisticated doping programme with the risk of losing everything for the sake of a bit of advertising or they are doing it clean.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bit like Postal 😀

The sad legacy of the sport is we will always doubt good/great/exceptional performers

TBH its not helped with Bertie and his beef and Astana than Nibali rides for

IMHO its highly unlikely the entire peloton and all teams are clean.

Do i believe Froome is clean yes. Would I faint with surprise if he was not . No

It will always be thus with the sport sadly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

part of it is taking team Sky’s commitment to be clean, ie not offering anything to Miller, dropping anyone who has the slightest infringement etc. they are setting a bar for clean (I hope) not much about the results says otherwise. None of the crazy breaks and the rest just a lot of hard work. Think most of the guys are sick of the questions from my evening chatting with one of them. It’s impossible to prove a negative some days.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ll say it again. For cycling to become clean (and importantly to have public recognition of this), it requires medals to be stripped if other team members are caught. It’s not acceptable that a domestique who is instrumental in your win can be caught doping and the winner gets to keep their medal. Never mind the guilt-by-association of being on a team that dopes. I suppose Hincapie is the obvious example.

For that reason, Wiggo’s and Froome’s wins do stand taller than most, and any proof of doping would be especially damaging to Team Sky.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice bit of training for the Panzerwagen.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Awesome finish, absolutely awesome

Spin
    Free Member

Wow! That’s racing at its best.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just caught the last 5 mins. Great result. Not sure about the nipple gesture though 😉

dpfr

Bloody Hell!

butcher

Not sure about the nipple gesture though

🙂 Made me smile that one. But what is it with this pointing thing? Is it the start of a slippery slope? Will one day, someone pull out a mic and start doing a short infomercial?

Cracking race anyway. How close? Personally I like Froomey. A man of heart. And it’s always on his sleeve when riding. Always looks in pain. And always gives it some more. Much prefer to see that than some of the poker faces in the peloton.

crazy-legs

No he went from literally nowhere, climbing with the grupetto to in a space of 2 years suddenly out climbing the best climbers in the world whilst also being able to out timetrial multiple TT world champions!

Froome had bilharzia which was only diagnosed in 2010 and it took 2 years to return completely negative results.

That was a great final stage of racing, the attack was entirely predictable but brilliantly done although he did profit from Nibali setting the pace for the lower 4km of the climb. Amazing scenery too.

Was nice to see such a good result from Simon Yates getting 2nd on the stage and Stephen Cummings had a top ride being up front for so long too.

ITV4 is doing a fine job on cycling coverage too, Ned Boulting has moved over to commentary with David Millar while Gary Imlach and Chris Boardman do the studio punditry. Not having to listen to Phil Liggett or Hugh Porter is a huge bonus!

Superficial
    Free Member

That was great – real drama and exciting racing. I like Wiggo as a personality, but Chris Froome is way more exciting to watch. Say what you want about his style on the bike, the way he pushes everyone to breaking point and then steps up a gear and snaps the elastic. It’s mesmerising.

whitestone
    Free Member

Highlights on ITV4 at 2200 tonight.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Timed perfectly, executed with determination.

T’is all you need.

Well done Chris.

8)

Superficial
    Free Member

I wonder what Nibali’s intentions were in his steamtrain leadout. It’s almost as if he wanted to help Froome because Scarponi was clearly never going to win the stage. Or maybe he just wanted to create some drama.

midlifecrashes

Have Sky changed equipment supplier?

Froome’s stem seems much less captivating this year.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not having to listen to Phil Liggett or Hugh Porter is a huge bonus!

+ LOADS

scaredypants

mrblobby – Member
    Nice bit of training for the Panzerwagen.

Do you think when he retired that Jens passed on some ancient German heirloom that makes the holder go for insane breaks. I know Martin’s done it before but he’s the breakaway kid this week

Sandwich

How does D Millar manage to sound like he’s from Bristol?

scaredypants

wasn’t his dad RAF, so probably brought up all over and mostly exposed to “averaged” english accents – I suppose if you add that to a scottish base you gets a funny accent, dunnit ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wasn’t his dad RAF, so probably brought up all over and mostly exposed to “averaged” english accents – I suppose if you add that to a scottish base you gets a funny accent, dunnit ?

Yep, RAF and then Cathay in HK. As such, much (most) of his early life would have been around people who spoke with a fairly RP accent.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I don’t recall so many questions when Nibbles won last year. No form all season, a distinctly dodgy DS sending him derogatory letters about the same, then suddenly the TdF supreme form.

Lolz, you must have missed every single forum thread about road cycling during and for 3 months after last years Tour.

Amazing win for Froome, heartbreaking for TJvG! Can’t wait to see what Yatesy does at the tour! Are the two Yates twins on the same racing program? I wonder if that’s why one was on and the other off?

Haze

I like Froome, no style points but seems a genuine chap.

Chapeau, great win although a bit gutted for TvG…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m always slightly perplexed that people go on about whether they ‘like’ Froome, or how he looks, as if that’s as important, or even more important, than how good he is at riding.

I’m a big fan of Wiggins but Froome can do things Wiggins could never do. And Froome’s a great racer. Roll on the Tour.

convert

I’m always slightly perplexed that people go on about whether they ‘like’ Froome, or how he looks, as if that’s as important, or even more important, than how good he is at riding.

I’m always perplexed that people don’t understand that this is important. Long gone are the days (if they ever existed) that professional sport had very much to with discovering who is the best at whatever it is they do. It is entertainment for the masses pure and simple and more importantly entertainment paid for by the sponsors who feel being associated with a sport or a specific competitor can enhance their brand identity. A sportsman/woman can be ‘liked’ equally for their performances, attitude, personality, style or aesthetics. I have no opinion on Froome’s ethics(has he ever juiced, does he? etc); appreciate his ability and often his attitude but don’t warm to his personality or his aesthetics (in the broadest sense). If a marketing man was wanting to appeal to me, putting Froome in front of me is not going to push a lot of buttons. I won’t be alone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 cor what convert said, Wiggins had a great personality and the press conferences were fun.
    Same as Josh/Greg & Steve and the syndicate/this is peaty vids actually showing some personality out there rather than reading the script/sponsor spiel for everyone.

slowoldman

Whoever you support and whatever the outcome, that has to be one of the best races ever. I particularly enjoyed Nibbles playing domestique yesterday. Didn’t achieve much but it the others think a bit – loved Valverde’s shake of the head.

mrblobby
    Free Member

All a bit tedious and been done to death in many other threads. Can we get back to talking about the racing?

people go on about whether they ‘like’ Froome

Save that one for the playground at break time 🙄

IdleJon

butcher – Member
    Not sure about the nipple gesture though
    Made me smile that one. But what is it with this pointing thing? Is it the start of a slippery slope? Will one day, someone pull out a mic and start doing a short infomercial?

I haven’t noticed anything happening that hasn’t been done for 20+ years?

A sportsman/woman can be ‘liked’ equally for their performances, attitude, personality, style or aesthetics.

Again, nothing new there. Or maybe it’s only new to us because there are now a range of ‘Brits’ to support.* People supported bike racers simply because of their personalities all the way back. Look at Anquetil v Poulidor, Coppi v Bartali….., and sponsors cashed in on it.

*I’ve even got a choice of properly local riders to support. Good grief!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Long gone are the days (if they ever existed) that professional sport had very much to with discovering who is the best at whatever it is they do

You really think this?

You think riders are chosen for something other than how good they are at cycling?

I’m all for marketing… but to suggest it comes before talent is, well, a bit sad. The marketing men really have got right into you 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Anyone watching the Dauphine? (SPOILERS!)’ is closed to new replies.