Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone used the Garmin piggyback battery?
  • Kryton57

I’m just interested to know if my 810 will last 24hrs with it.

Thanks

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I was just going to post up something similar about how to get a Garmin 800 or 500 to last for 24h 😀

Is there any way of connecting an Exposure piggyback battery to the Garmin?

jonba
    Free Member

Can’t answer either but I use a 5600mAh battery like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5600mAh-Capacity-Portable-External-Flashlight-Black/dp/B00CE61YOY/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=09PHC63ZBNACTMBXHS2X

and I got 21h without even draining the external battery the other week.

I have an 800. I don’t think you can do this for the 500.

Kryton57

You plugged that in via USB to an 800? For £9? And by “external battery” you mean the garmin itself?

rob
    Free Member

Same battery as jonba last me about 18 hours then the garmin will run off its internal battery for another 12 hours or so

Kryton57

Cool! When it ran out, did you leave it plugged in and the Garmin took over fine? This is for a 24 solo so I don’t want to stop and faff necessary. Of course I could whip the USB lead out.

I just need to work out some waterproofing just in case…

riddoch

I thought the 800 didn’t run if charging?
    If you are an EE customer you can get the power bank for free which is basically the same thing.

Kryton57

My wife is an EE customer, and has just sent the text for the code. The EE one is 2600mAh though, how much “garmin time” is that?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I also thought that the 800 reset when you charged it? Can it run with an external battery connected?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I think you need a a special USB for an 800 so it doesn’t go into the USB storage mode, it has a pin removed IIRC. I think 810’s are ok, 510’s def are as I’ve used a generic USB battery in mine before. My 510 has lasted over 16 hours with the screen close to min permanent backlight so you might squeeze 24 out of an 810. Any generic USB battery will do. I’ve got one that’s just a tad bigger than an AA battery that I can strap under my stem. If you’re worried about water proofing just get some gorilla snot style mastic stuff, works a treat.

riddoch

The garmin piggyback battery is 2200mAh for 20 hours, https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by-accesories/batteries/external-power-pack/prod86599.html.
    In theory should last best part of 24hours.
    Just tried my edge 1000 with the EE battery and it just shows the charging symbol but seems to work. The only problem is that you have to have the USB cover open so water might be a problem.

Jason
    Free Member

I have used the external pack that Jonba has linked to on a Garmin 800 and it worked fine for a 24 hour race. I think I just used the cable that came with it. From memory it is one of the lower spec Garmins that can’t be used while it is charging.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve ran a 800 with a bog standard external battery, works great

800 however doesn’t like following long tracks >200km and will also reset and lose your data at some point over 300km

njee20
    Free Member

I used a bog standard external battery on my 1000 on the SDW, worked perfectly. Still on full battery after 9.5 hours of navigating with the screen on. Turning brightness right down and what not will mean you easily get 24 hours I’d say. 810 should take any random battery pack.

AlasdairMc

Any USB battery will work, but you need a USB On The Go cable to connect it. Generally these come as a USB mini male to USB female, so a male to make adaptor stuck in the end finishes it off. Total cost from Amazon for the cable is about three quid.

njee20
    Free Member

Only certain units need the USB on the go – notably the 500. Don’t think the 810 does. The 1000 certainly doesn’t.

dknwhy

500 needs the OTG (pass through) cable. The others don’t. They’re really cheap on Ebay.

Kryton57

Cool. I have time, so I’ll order Jonba’s one and try the three USB cables I have at home and if no success order a new one.

Cheers all!

Kryton57

Edit: even better – becuase Jonba’s immediate link was direct from China and a months delivery, I changes to a different colour and the price went down to £6.43 fulfilled by Amazon in 5 days.

Result!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just an update on this for anyone that’s interested.

I picked up one of the free Power Bars from an EE shop at the weekend, they’re listed as being 2600mAh. I connected it up to my Edge 800 to give it a try and when my other half decided to do me a favour and switch it off for me, it had been running 13 hours and was still running on the Power Bar, the Edge battery was showing at 95% when I went to charge it so it should be good for the full 24h 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

I use an Anker 3200mAh “lipstick” style charger. My cable allows it to be charged without resetting but I’m not sure if it’s a Garmin or generic one (I have an Edge 800 BTW). Usually though I find a little time to take the cable and charger out and lob the lot in a pocket (MTB) or just hold the charger (road) or just have a rest whilst it charges. That said, I’ve never run the 800 out on a ride unless I leave it in mapping mode for the majority of the ride.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Does that just go in the normal USB slot – how robust and waterproof is it?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used the Garmin piggyback battery?’ is closed to new replies.