Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone used disco (brake) pads?
  • crouch_potato
    Free Member

OK, I’d like to avoid all the usual brake pad controversy, but was wondering if anyone had tried disco brake pads . If so, how have you found the performance and would you recommend them? They certainly appear cheap, and they also have a number of different types of pad available too so was thinking of giving them a go. Any user opinions?

easygirl

used them for a week, they wore down to backing plate after 2 wet rides, power was ok though!

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Were they just the regular ones? Doesn’t seem like a great endorsement for starters in any case.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

All mine shed their braking surfaces quite quickly, and in the end I got a full refund

DezB
    Free Member

Same here – used the regular pads in the wet, lasted 2 rides.
    Regulars in the dry – fine.

Go sintered (always worth the extra cash IME).

(they did have the “pad falling off the back plate” batch around the same time as Superstar, but that’s been sorted.)

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Cheers simon and Dez. I’m almost afraid to imagine what would happen if I had asked a superstar v’s disco type question.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Currently using 4 sets of sintered that were bedded in correctly – lasting well so far in a lot of wet riding, plenty of power but bit of a squeler in the wet (07 and 08 XT)

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Hmmm… seems like it’s a question of being willing to take a gamble on the sintered sets. No overwhelmingly positive responses so far though.

trailgod
    Free Member

Fitted a set to my Hope mini’s & have worn down remarkably quickly
    compared to O.E.Hope sets
    will not purchase again (lesson learnt)
    t/g

DezB
    Free Member

Truth is, if I’m buying budget, I’ll buy SS or Disco sintered (eg for spare bike). They’re ok, they work.

If I want longer lasting pads with a bit better perfomance (eg. for Alps trip) I’ll buy Goodridge sintered, or similar.

You do get what you pay for.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Mmm, I agree in a way Dez, but these are for an only bike which I also commute on. I should probably just buy some aftermarket ones and some goodridge/magura ones and figure out how much it works out at once I see how long they last, then use whichever comes out best in the future.

Pook

just running some now – took them out around pines last week in the dry and they seemed fine. I’ll let you know of any problems from my rides this week

crouch_potato
    Free Member

cheers pook. be interested to see what happens.

dave-c
    Free Member

Been using them for a couple of months with no problems in my Avid Juicey 3s. No problems so far but it seems it never rains in Southampton so not tried them in the wet.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Seems there might be a gap in the market for brake pads priced in between the ‘so eniticingly cheap that you can’t resist even though they cause controversy’ and the ‘you could get a quarter-of-a brake for that’. Still if I do try out the disco ones (not really sure I want to gamble on them), I’ll put a post on here in a couple of weeks to say how they are fairing incase anyone looks.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

One set of disco medium compounds lasted 30 miles of the HONC on their own as my rear brake blew up.

With just one (front) brake they stopped me well and there is still plenty of wear in them.

I’ve switched to disco sintered as it’s my preferred compound unfortunately they didn’t have any in stock on my previous order.

Medium compound squeals a bit in the dry and like a banshee in the wet, sintered is fine in the dry but squeals in the wet.

HTH

MicArms

Been using them on the commuter, hardtail and full sus since Jan time. All medium compound with a mixture of avid J5’s, old hope minis and M4s and latest XT. I have had no problems with premature wear. Very happy bunny.

turnip
    Free Member

its all percieved value, ive used the lot and they all work the same. Ive had hope and fibrax pads fall apart as well as Disco and superstar. I had a pair of superstar code sintereds which had the clarks brand logo on the back of them, so if you want to pay more just go buy them from clarks if it makes you feel happier.

Obviously a packing mistake in the factory!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used disco (brake) pads?’ is closed to new replies.