Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone use a Halfords trailer to carry kids?
  • voodoo-rich

Considering a double trailer buggy at Halfords to carry the kids on road and maybe gentle forest roads/ firetrails etc. The Halfords customer reviews seem pretty positive, but I'd appreciate some more informed opinions…

Other suggestions welcome, the trailer needs to carry 2 kids, have an axle attachment to the leading bike (not chainstay clamp due to having a disc brake in the way), high load capacity (2 kids currently at 77lbs total!), and be good value for money (i.e. cheap!).

mayan
    Free Member

We've got the yellow "2 in 1 trail buggy" in the picture to the left.
    It looks exactly the same, exactly the "2 in 1" refers to a rubbish handle and a jockey wheel you can install to turn it into a buggy. Never used it as a buggy, but it may come in handy.

As for the trailer itself, it works well, its obviously a lot cheaper than others out there, and Im sure you lose a lot of features.
    Its pretty basic, but our 2 love it. Havent used it offroad, mostly for pootling around the park, dropping off at the childminder etc. I cant imagine they'd want to stay in it for too long, but they're pretty big now, so a bit less room.

You get what you pay for, it works and its safe, but probably not as comfy as others, so if you're looking at shortish rides over gentle ground then it would be fine. I dont think it would be suitable for longer roads over bumpy fireroads, without some more padding.

jfeb
    Free Member

Costco do a similar looking one for £80ish by the way.

voodoo-rich

mayan- thanks for the info.

I'll look into the Costco option too!

foxyrider
    Free Member

What about this to help move children around 😉

Timmo
    Free Member

thats the same one i have! is very good little trailer, got ours with 25% off too a couple of years ago so was even better!- think i paid £80 for it?? is light, folds flat to the base size so easy to store and transport (fits flat in the boot of my car), attatches via the qr although i bolted the hanger to the frame instead, (cut outs on drop out area)
    offroad its fine, little bouncy for the child as it doesnt have any suspension but it handles pretty good, bit too wide for good ST blasts though (just over the width of the std bars witht he wheels on) but can have a fair bit of fun with it!
    fine on the roads, even though it sais do not exceed 10mph! had ours at 35+ down some of the hills around here, does take a smidge more stopping though! 😉
    enough storage behind where the littlun sits for her bag, my camalbak and her potty, although i have put in a section of polycarb to give it a flat floor for the bags so they dont drag on the floor when offroad!

quick pic of it on the Old bike.

dont really notice it that much when your riding, obviously it requires a bit more effort on the ups, and when moving off you feel the extra but as soon as your moving you dont really notice it, – had a few occasions where ive forgotten and clipped a route with the wheel on it and sent me all over the place hahaha!

hope that helps??

oh, be prepared for lots of people looking at you and cooing at the cuteness inthe trailer!

voodoo-rich

Timmo- that's brilliant, I'm nearly sold on the idea! I know about people staring already, still get gasps of amazement when I pick up my daughter from school with the tagalong. (well, the kids think it's cool, the mums think it's dangerous…)

Foxy- nice try, but with two kids of different sizes I reckon I'll just end up going in circles 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL @ voodoo

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I use this to take my daughter to nursary as well as picking my other daughter up from her childminders.
    If you intend to use it for any sort of distance then i would recomend that you get as light a one as you can afford as you soon start to notice the weight when stop/starting and hitting hills

jfeb
    Free Member

One thing to bear in mind is that the cheaper trailers tend to be narrower which can be an issue if you are carrying 2 kids depending on how old they are. My 4 and 2 year old boys have pretty much no more growing room in a Burley Bee.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have the same one as timmo and it seems pretty good. Only cary on in it at the moment as the other is too small. She does love it and is always shouting at me to go faster. Although she refuses to have the cover on which results in her getting covered in mud and other trail objects. I do sometimes get told to stop because a worm has landed on her!

Only ever taken it off road and it seems fine. And also only used it on an FSR where it is fine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a Halfords trailer to carry kids?’ is closed to new replies.