Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Anyone up Snowdon yesterday on bike (Sat)? Naughty naughty….
  • rascal
    Free Member

1009 views…only 8 responses to the OP and 2 of them are mine!
    They can’t be that bothered then….not bothered enough to offer an opinion anyway.

Daffy

I used to ride with a bunch of people (one in particular) who used to ride down shared trails like he was fleeing from an avalanche. No matter what was said or how many times he almost hit someone, he wouldn’t listen: I was continually following behind him apologising to the people he’d almost maimed. I stopped riding with him.

maxtorque

IME, and sorry it’s a such a stereotype, but it’s one because it’s true, the younger the walker, the more likely they are to engage and to even enjoy watching others have fun on Snowdon. The, er older generation, are very much in the “we want this place to ourselves” mindset ime. Last time i did snowdon, the vast majority of walkers, actually enjoyed watching us ride down what they though to be “unridable” bits of the mountain, yet, a very few, gave us the nasty face or mutter comments under their breath about “wrecking the path” or similar (because of course, about 100 million tonnes of stone is going to get “damaged” by a few bikes riding down it……

And as mentioned, if there are so many of these “near misses” how come there never seem to be any actual hits? Surely if it were so dangerous, people would actually be getting hit??

jekkyl

or if I was in a big group personally I wouldn’t move over for them I would let them dismount there bike and walk round us

see I knew people did this. There was me thinking they were just deaf. ‘EXCUSE ME, WATCH OUT, EXCUSE ME’ nope, just obstinate.

nehhhh ya buggers..

MSP

Rather than divided by age, I find walkers are generally much better away from the tourist hotspots, largely out there looking for the same kind of enjoyment as the rest of us, just in a slightly different way, and I have had plenty of old walkers say they would have loved mountain biking.

martinhutch

I find walkers are generally much better away from the tourist hotspots,

Definitely this. You’re more or less guaranteed to find some miserable buggers on legitimate low-level BWs such as Loughrigg Terrace, no matter how considerately you trundle up to them, but even on cheeky high-level routes, I’ve yet to encounter anything but smiles and hellos.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I guess you didnt actually read the thread then.

Oh I did and every time I read that kind of self serving crap I just YAWN

Honestly who gives a monkeys about a TRO do you think ramblers would abide by conditions put in place, track record says no sir we wanna do what we wanna do, wilful trespass, moral victory

Problem with MTB riders is they are toothless, no one cares about your rights or opinions

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Honestly who gives a monkeys about a TRO

Sorry, but I and many other mtbers around here give a very big monkeys’ It’s my local trail – I can ride it from my door – and I also guide on it. And much as I wouldn’t expect to bugger up other people’s local trails when I ride on them, I’d prefer it if people wouldn’t come here and bugger up mine.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Sad truth is, we don’t need to know both sides, all we need is people complaining directly to the NP… and it happens. Like I said, I reckon that considering the numbers, there are amazingly few issues, but if we want continued access, and even better, increased access to other parts of the national park, which is on the cards, then we could really do with fewer…

As you are involved in the discussions I would point out that increasing access would disperse the numbers and reduce conflict

If they don’t get it then sadly philxx1975 has a point

In any case access changes need to be gained before ebikes get more common muddying the issues more

RustySpanner

Older people or people with mobility issues, even very experienced ones, often feel more vulnerable than an experienced, younger cyclist.

I get a lot of this from the older members of our climbing club.
    They have just as much right as we do to enjoy the mountains.

Our club hut is opposite Snowdon. Rarely see inappropriate behaviour by anyone, but unless you’ve been up there you really have no idea how busy it gets and how many people are inexperienced and/or under prepared.

It’s a lot more dangerous than most people think, especially at this time of year – everyone underestimates it due to its popularity.

Given the above, it doesn’t take much sense to realise that big groups are better done at first light and during the week, if you can.

Bit of consideration and everyone gets to enjoy the place for a while.

danradyr1
    Free Member

To be fair to the walkers forum the general consensus, at the moment, is quite positive towards bikes

rascal
    Free Member

To be fair to the walkers forum the general consensus, at the moment, is quite positive towards bikes

…and then there’s alewife, the last poster

wilburt
    Free Member

tpbiker
    Free Member

can you take the bike up on the train…..?

philxx1975
    Free Member

Sorry, but I and many other mtbers around here give a very big monkeys’ It’s my local trail – I can ride it from my door – and I also guide on it. And much as I wouldn’t expect to bugger up other people’s local trails when I ride on them, I’d prefer it if people wouldn’t come here and bugger up mine.

Translated

me me me me me me me me me me I want recognition for guiding me me me me me me

get off my lawn!!

So how does this benefit anyone else other than you, it doesn’t as long as your ok buster “the biggest act of civil disobedience ” was carried out by your rambling masters old boy, but you keep pandering to them.

whitestone
    Free Member

Says the guy who’d mess it up for everyone.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Says the guy who’d mess it up for everyone.

Does your mum still wipe your backside then , or do you have to ask for permission on everything? Need approval? Need to feel warm and fuzzy by belonging?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Half term again, clearly.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

It’s all about respect, the voluntary ban is abused and a lot of riders choose to ignore it. I see a lot of mountain bikers come off the mountain within the voluntary ban window.

When riding in others parts of the country I make sure my actions do not risk local riders loosing access etc.

Visiting riders should do the same on Snowdon.

philxx1975
    Free Member

It’s all about respect

God you lot are sheep .

Half term again, clearly

Why because someone wont conform with your “Iv’e been here so long I’m always right attitude” Yes of course it is

MoreCashThanDash

philxx1975 – Member
    It’s all about respect
    God you lot are sheep .

And you are coming across as a cocky, arrogant and ignorant arsehole, determined to do what you want, when you want, and sod the consequences for the wider cycling community.

I know which I’d sooner be. Baaaaaaa!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Back off guys before he does a broady and tells us to swivel

philxx1975
    Free Member

And you are coming across as a cocky, arrogant and ignorant arsehole, determined to do what you want, when you want, and sod the consequences for the wider cycling community.

And I know which I would rather be too sunshine.

rascal
    Free Member

phil – you’re sounding like a bit of a silly boy.
    You seem like the type that the redsocks are having a pop at, it has to be said.

taxi25
    Free Member

I can’t remember ever being angry on here reading someone’s posts. Amused, confused, bemused, even concerned. But never angry, reading your c#$p philxx1975 has made it a first. Why don’t you just #### off.
    P.s
    Don’t care about the swear filter avoidance 🙁

philxx1975
    Free Member

phil – you’re sounding like a bit of a silly boy.

How so , your quite happy to just let the woolly socks brigade call the shots and in some thinly veiled “agreement” ride your bike when they tell you because it suits you not to argue.

On the other hand I see the woolly sock brigade pulled a massive coup a while back and tell everyone in a cocky, arrogant and ignorant arsehole kind of way, determined to do what they want, when they want, and sod the consequences en masse might I add

mrlebowski
    Free Member

On the other hand I see the woolly sock brigade pulled a massive coup a while back and tell everyone in a cocky, arrogant and ignorant arsehole kind of way, determined to do what they want, when they want, and sod the consequences en masse might I add

Link please?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Same up here, busy weekends you get the knobbers racing down carron crag, breasty haw etc. Jeopardizing events and races but no, everyone else is in the wrong, blah blah

philxx1975
    Free Member
    martinhutch

breasty haw etc

What, the BW?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

No, the western end purple walking path (starts at the top of the bogle crag fire road climb). Its bloody good, midweek, or early doors but usually quite busy sat/sun afternoon

martinhutch

Its bloody good, midweek, or early doors but usually quite busy sat/sun afternoon

Noted! 🙂

I must admit, I generally only get up there at weekends, so such delights are off-limits.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Kinder Scout??

& that’s your justification for your attitude now??

Mate, that was over 75 years ago & you’re still carrying a grudge…..get over yourself!

I admit MTB access is in need of revision……but picking a fight with fellow riders is not what I’d call a constructive approach.

If you are really into advocacy then why not join a club/organisation & do it through them. Otherwise, it does rather sound like you’re using restricted access & your fight for better access as an excuse to behave rather inconsiderately..

mrlebowski
    Free Member

(My apologies if you are already involved in MTB advocacy)

philxx1975
    Free Member

& that’s your justification for your attitude now??

No my justification is that same that same attitude that won back then is the cornerstone for some of those groups to admonish or restrict other users rights as the longest standing cadre.

What im saying is “if” you tried that today to gain some kind of accessfor bikers ,they would shoot you to shit and bury your argument, so what do “you do” accept whats served up by those who somehow seem to have garnered a position to say who does what.

I asked this before, lets take another area then rather than poor Mr welsh pants getting all angry for the first time in his life.

If I go to another area where 1/2 a million people go each year and tell the ramblers association “ooh sorry chaps the bikers have priority here you can go up hill and down dale before sunrise and after dusk” what do you think the answer would be , lets negotiate?

……but picking a fight with fellow riders is not what I’d call a constructive approach.

I think this sums up some of the fellow riders here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/eu-referendum-are-you-in-or-out, Mr Lebowski you don’t seem a bad chap.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Bit of consideration and everyone gets to enjoy the place for a while.

Which is the best way for everyone to behave

The pressure on Snowdon should be driving wider access in the NP. The removal of access should not be based on user conflict especially where there are clear solutions building on the work by various groups to date and the willingness of riders to be considerate.

philjunior
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Really; even if doing so helps lead to all bikes being banned from it? Go you!

Um, What I said was that if bikes get banned and I get a chance to ride it, I’ll ride it anyway, but currently I’ll follow the voluntary agreement.

Are you saying that riding it after a ban has been imposed will lead to a ban or that following the voluntary agreement will lead to a ban?

Why are we arguing over MTB behavior when we know that in reality it was a non-incident exaggerated by a keyboard warrior? As said on the first pages, these accidents waiting to happen involving walkers just don’t (well OK very occasionally do but they’re vanishingly rare).

big_n_daft
    Free Member

One point that is being missed is that it is part of the National Parks remit to encourage visitors, if they are too successful they shouldn’t be reducing access for one user group they should be trying to spread the load (and therefore the visitors) out

mtbguiding
    Free Member

The regular quoting of the Kinder Trespass is quite funny really. Unless I misunderstand it, the Kinder trespass was the masses (working class wanting access to the hills) against the few (landed gentry). Typical of most protests really. The one being suggested here is the few (mtbers) protesting against the many (walkers/tourists/authorities etc). Think I can see how this one might end:)

Great to see the majority of my fellow mtbers can see a need for respect and consideration for others 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I agree with you in general – and certainly a protest of bikers against walkers is going nowhere. But it’s worth bearing in mind that those walkers who are anti bike are the few – best we keep it that way by being nice rather than radical.

A similar style protest for increased access where we’re not against the walkers might be a possibility – but that’s a different subject and personally I feel that simply doing what I currently do and riding cheeky trails is a better approach to achieve acceptance by the drip, drip approach. Given the context I should point out that the code of conduct for doing so is to avoid conflict, hence riding Snowdon paths when they’re busy isn’t part of that, whether or not during banned hours or on RoWs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Anyone up Snowdon yesterday on bike (Sat)? Naughty naughty….’ is closed to new replies.