Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone turboing tonight.. sweaty mess content!
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Mrs Blobby is out and hopefully Blobby Jr in bed so I’m on the turbo. First one since it’s been properly warm. It’s not going to be pretty!

Edit: just set up the turbo and I’m sweaty and not even turned a pedal yet.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’d be out enjoying the trails rather than sat on a turbo 🙂

But then I don’t have a kid to babysit 😉

Have fun!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. May be knocking the intensity back a little!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I took the rollers out to the garden this morning for a recovery ride.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tempting. It’s 28 degrees in my turbo room..

Northwind

Last time I went on mine, it was snowing and I was still too hot. You all must be mental.

mrblobby
    Free Member

90 mins on the turbo doing a 3×20 and it’s now 30 degrees in here. That was quite hard. Reminded me of Boardman training in his greenhouse on the Wirral!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

You know the faster you pedal on a real bike the more breeze you get?

rOcKeTdOg

he’s on a real bike. theory #fail

petrieboy

usually do turbo sessions in the basement at work which is nice and cool. did 1 hour in the kitchen last week and lost 850g of pure sweat

mrblobby
    Free Member

Really should have done a weigh in before and after. A litre of sweat is quite likely!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not tonight but I did an hour last night. Outside in the shade in the evening and it was still very messy. Supposed to be doing another hour tomorrow sometime.

Gribs

I can’t understand why anyone would ride a turbo/rollers when it’s not shite outside.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Gribs, do you have children? 😉 Would love to be out but sometimes it’s either turbo or nothing. Though having said that the turbo does allow for sessions that are hard to replicate on the road.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I can’t understand why anyone would ride a turbo/rollers when it’s not shite outside.

It’s a compromise solution to maintaining some fitness in periods that you can’t get away from the house for one reason or another. In the OP’s case his kid was in bed. [edit] as he said above whilst I was slowly typing.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Thread reported to moderator

nasty 😉

edit that’s an ironic smiley, i wanted a seedy one

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Heat (at any time of the year) is fundamentally the problem I have with training on the turbo frame. I sweat a lot and my heart rate is a good 20 bpm higher than an equivalent road workout as the heart pumps blood around the body in an effort to keep cool.

This means that you are not getting as strenuous a workout as you maybe would like but a fan can help. As the OP says, anything is better than nothing but I tend to use shorter HIIT workouts on the turbo now which seem to give as good results in 30 minutes or so without prolonging the agony. For me less really is more sometimes.

Edric64
    Free Member

A 20 min warm up on the turbo before a 10 last Saturday was nearly unbearable .I think it was harder than the race

mrblobby
    Free Member

Heat (at any time of the year) is fundamentally the problem I have with training on the turbo frame. I sweat a lot and my heart rate is a good 20 bpm higher than an equivalent road workout as the heart pumps blood around the body in an effort to keep cool.

Most of the year it’s not a problem as I have two big floor fans! My turbo work is all power based and, yes, HR does drift upwards for a given power as the body tries to keep cool. For me the problem is more psychological, it’s really difficult to motivate myself for hard turbo work when it’s hot and sunny outside.

oldgit
    Free Member

Once or twice weekly. I tend to do a lot of resistance work when it’s hot. And love the heat. To me it’s not an alternative, I see it as a ‘pure’ session. There aren’t many places on the open road where you can bury yourself so safely for an hour.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone turboing tonight.. sweaty mess content!’ is closed to new replies.