Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone rode Glen Nevis + Uisga Labhair??
  • jockrmcallister
    Free Member

Hoping to ride Fort Willaim to Dalwhinnie at the weekend, hopinge to ride via Glent Nevis to Corrour sta, then onto dalwhinnie via Uisge Labhair and Bealach Dubh.

Can anyone tell me how ridable Glen Nevis and Uisge Labhair are?? Uisage Labhair being the track which leads East from Corrour Lodge, kind of towards Ben Alder.

ton

i have been over that way.
    lots of hike a bike up glen nevis, then ok to the corrour station.
    bealach dubh is ace once you reach the wreckage heading east.

13thfloormonk

Oooh, I’d be interested to hear how you get on!

Afraid I’ve not heard much positive about either of those sections, although the path leading up Glen Nevis from the Steal Waterfall looks OK, druidh on here (i think, it was an old thread) seemed a bit traumatised by a section somewhere up-river though.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Uisge Labhair intermittent and very frustrating riding which will entail lots of pushing and a hike-a-bike at the end to reach the (excellent) path to the Bealach Dubh. BD to Culra will be excellent, though very steep for the first few hundred metres.

Glen Nevis as Ton says as far as Meanach/Luibeilt then more rideable beyond that.

Is starting in Kinlochleven a possibility, or does it have to be FW?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

seemed a bit traumatised by a section somewhere up-river though.

Are you not confusing this with Apocalypse Now! ?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Not entirely sure I’d choose to do it again. Especially not in the direction you propose.

Far better would be to start in fort william and head along the west highland way to kinlochleven then up head in that way.

ton

and wait till september, usually pretty dryish by then.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Far better would be to start in fort william and head along the west highland way to kinlochleven then up head in that way.

Yup, though you don’t need to descend to KLL – just stay on the track as far as Mamore Lodge and you have a short climb to Loch Eilde Mor beyond.

ton

please stop talking about riding in scotland.
    it makes me want to cry………….. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

No major problems, although I think the route works better East-to-West – or go for the KLL option as it has a lot less carrying.

The only major trauma I’ve had in that area was being bitten on an ankle by a squadron of clegs and thereafter being unable to put on my boot.

jockrmcallister
    Free Member

I walked it couple of years ago and just cant remember what it was like. Potentailly may take WHW to Kinlochleven, track to Luibelt along Elide Mor then track to lower Loch Trieg hence cutting out most of Glen Nevis difficulties. hoefully. Which leaves the section from corrour to Bealach Dudh, Usiga Labhair which i really don’t know anything about.

jockrmcallister
    Free Member

Opps, seems the post way ahead of me. cheers guys!

heihei

Did Glen Nevis with an ex-girlfriend in the mid-90’s – worst ride of my life, as she got so annoyed with me at the hike-a-bike stuff I ended up having to carry 2 bikes most of the way up!

jockrmcallister
    Free Member

WHW variation sounding promising- Anyone any experince of Corrour Lodge to Bealach Dubh?????

kennyp
    Free Member

Or head out towards Spean Bridge / Roy Bridge and then into Rannoch Moor.

ton

from corrour lodge up to the col where the wreckage is, is very undistinct on the ground.
    it was not too wet in september 2 years ago.
    if i remember we had to use a compass to keep in the right direction for a couple of k’s.

jockrmcallister
    Free Member

Kennyp- Head towards Spean bridge then towards Rannoch Moor?????

stuartie_c
    Free Member

WHW variation sounding promising- Anyone any experince of Corrour Lodge to Bealach Dubh?????

I thought I’d answered that question above (post no. 4?)

jockrmcallister
    Free Member

So you have Stuart, cheers.

captainslow77
    Free Member

Rode this route a couple of weeks ago in great weather.

Fort Bill to KLL on the WHW was fun in places, carried the bike up a few staircases but mostly rideable.

KLL to Courror station via mennanach bothy. A steep climb out of KLL,(Yeah I would have saved loads of time by not descending into KLL and continuing on L/rover track, but I fancied a brew !!) L/rover track is very good past eilde mor/beag to luibeilt. I forded the river here, it was knee high so buckshee! The view was fantastic looking up towards the grey corries to the north. From Mennanach bothy to the southern end of loch trieg was a pain in the arse. A lot of carrying through very boggy ground, although it did get better near the end. Good track from there to the station.

Corrour to Culra bothy. Good l/rover track to the northern end of loch ossian, uisge labhair was rideable on a grassy track for about a K then loadsa carrying up the river, wasnt as bad ground as I had experienced earlier in the day and I made good time. The singletrack from Bealach Dubh to Culra is outstanding, in fact its awesome !!

I think it was around 75k and loadsa fun !!!!!!!
    Thanks to 13floormonk who I bumped into on the train for all the advice, and to ev1 who commented on the thread.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone rode Glen Nevis + Uisga Labhair??’ is closed to new replies.