Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone ride a unicycle
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

If you do can you give me some pointers on how to ride the thing please.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What I did is start in a corridor that I could touch both sides of – in the doorway at the end of it and get on the thing – one pedal forward. rock back and forward using the walls to balance – then lean forward and pedal – bouncing off the walls / running your hand along them keeps you in a straight line. Suddenly it will click and you can just ride along on it. Thats as good as I got before I broke it attempting to ride some indoor ramps and jumps on it after drinking stella.

If you can’t find a decent corridor then outside with two mates one on each side and put your hands on their shoulders.

afmell
    Free Member

Yup – like TJ says – there’s some advice here with pictures. I found a corridor at work where I can practice at lunchtime, saves my walls from scuffage.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Yep,

I started with two walking sticks.

I’d say a corridor was a mistake, It sounds like it worked for TJ, but for me a big open piece of concrete was required. You need to be able to pedal the direction you fall. If there is a wall in the way, it might screw up the process (just my opinion TJ). Don’t try to learn on grass either, there is too much resistance.

So two walking sticks, then one, then none. In fact before you get to none, holding the two walking sticks straight out improves your upper body moment of inertia, and gives you more control of the all-important hip twist, even when the sticks are not on the ground.

It’s all in the hips and thighs. Learning to unicycle is an incredibly good work out, and you only learn to relax and take it easy when you get good enough that the corrections needed are small. The better you get, the less energy you ned to put into corrections and staying up.

When I learnt (about 20 years ago!) I likened it to learning to walk again. Once you get it, it’s almost impossible to understand how you couldn’t once do it. The order of learning was first get to go forwards, then backwards, then hovering. For me, about 20-30 hours effort over two weeks to go perhaps the first ten metres forwards in some sort of control, then learn to go backwards. Put them together, and learn to “hover” – Then you’ve pretty much got it!

Filthy
    Free Member

Have you been to Lidl as well then Gary?

Got mine on Thursday, heres a few tips…

1) Helmet is a must.

2) Wear shin pads, it hurts when the pedals spin round and crack you on the shin.

3) Dont let go of the wall straight away thinking it must be easy… the above will happen. 😳

This site has some good pointers, I’m thinking it might take a while to master the art so far I can manage about 2 pedal strokes before dismounting.

Does anyone know if fitting a fatter tyre will make it easier to learn?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh Filthy, got the last one too 😉 Weird woods valves.

Filthy
    Free Member

Yeah that tube will be going in the bin when I change the tyre, was a right faff on trying to get the thing pumped up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a unicycle’ is closed to new replies.