Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • anyone ridden a genesis io and a 26" kona unit?
  • TimP
    Free Member

How do they compare? Thinking of I replace my io what I might get instead. It sometimes has rigid forks and I also have some 120mm Reba’s that go on,

Thanks

TiRed

No, but I went (almost) the other way; Kona Unit 29er (stolen) to Genesis io(id) (insurance replacement). The Kona was rigid, the io has 100 mm Recon Gold and much lighter Hope/Crest wheels. Both SS.

The geometry is, surprisingly, similar; 18″ Kona vs.19″ Genesis (which is why I chose the Genesis as a replacement). The steel was slightly higher end on the Kona SAT 14.5. The handling is quicker on the 26″ wheels. Weight about the same

To be honest, the front suspension made the biggest difference. I’ve done rigid carbon forks, and now prefer the front suspension. The Kona was my first proper MTB (unusual choice, perhaps). The Genesis now runs some funky bars and a carbon seatpost (that was also on the Kona).

If you went to a 26″ wheeled Kona, check the geometry carefully, you may find that they are very similar – in which case you will not find a huge difference in handling.

mboy
    Free Member

Have only had a brief go on both, and some years ago too…

Remarkably similar to be fair. There’s a lot of Kona DNA in the early Genesis steel 26″ designs.

flashes
    Free Member

I owned an IO, I didn’t rate it. Wooden, dull, long gone. My mate has a Unit, he loves it……..

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Love my i0, with a pair of Xotic carbon rigids & Stans Tubeless it rides very well, never found mine to be wooden or dull to be honest. It may not be the bestest tubeset ever but it has a bit of spring in it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘anyone ridden a genesis io and a 26" kona unit?’ is closed to new replies.