Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Anyone remember Robot Wars?
  • Duffer
    Free Member

I happened upon some old episodes the other week on Sky. My 8 year old loves it! I forgot how much fun it looks.

MoreCashThanDash

My kids used to love it, used to be some proper nerds building kit on there

swavis

Yes! 😀
    I caught it on Sky the other day too and couldn’t help but sit and watch it. Hypnodisc owning it IIRC

bikebouy
    Free Member

Loved it, shame it’s no longer on IMO.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sadly, they rather converged on a solution.

bearnecessities

Pointy horse cock kind of ruled the roost on that one.

I’ve met Craig Charles; then said hello to his missus, child, fiddled with his
    dish and pooped in his house.

True story.

legend
    Free Member

Nah Chaos 2 and Hypnodisc were way better than the the slow moving pointy cock on that thing

bearnecessities

Apologies, I must have missed them.

I still pooped in his house though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had an ex who was the spitting image of Phillipa Forrester.

*Drifts off in a reverie of good memories….*

richmars

We had a team at work, it was pretty impressive seeing it in action. (Dominator was its name).

Northwind

I think I was the right age for it, but it was ace. THis guy was a legend, proper alpha nerd.

mrblobby
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I had an ex who was the spitting image of Phillipa Forrester.
    *Drifts off in a reverie of good memories….*

And yet all we get are pictures of the Diverge 🙁

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Not sure if I should admit it but I helped a mate build one. We got accepted at auditions based on work in progress but it never got completed, mainly as we liked engines and welding and nothing about electronics.

Was more scrapheap challenge than robot wars, ran on 2 2-stroke engines with diaphragm carb so worked inverted powering a dragster rear wheel made from a BMX hub shell on a T45 steel tube axle and using Land Rover bevel gears. Started with a power drill. The weapon was mass and speed. Tool steel battering ram and pivot steering. Noisy and dangerous, probably best it never ran…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its was a guy? 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Forgive me for not posting pictures of my ex-gfs on here!

Here, have this to tide you over.

Cougar

Pointy horse cock kind of ruled the roost on that one.

Razer.

THis guy was a legend, proper alpha nerd.

George Francis.

*cough* I imagine. Never watched it. Erm.

Matt_SS_xc

Great program as a child…. Saw an old repeat and felt I had grown out of it…

Surely someone on here built one!?!?

Duffer
    Free Member

No shame here; i was a serious RW nerd. I could have told you the details of each machine, the name of its builders, which other machines it has faced… just like Northwind, i was exactly the right age.

Incidentally they still run the competitions, they’re just not televised any more. I’ll just leave this here:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPqqn4FWgVo[/video]

legend
    Free Member

Can I enquire as to what “the right age” happens to be? Future input depends on it

Klunk
    Free Member

the Razor lot really spoilt it for everyone else, spending ludicrous amounts of money and bad losers to boot they didn’t like it when Hypnodisc got in behind and starting to eat them did some real damage… but it was ok for them to crush and mangle everyone else.

shermer75
    Free Member

Those robots look waaaaay better than the ones they had on the TV show…

Duffer
    Free Member

they didn’t like it when Hypnodisc got in behind

*cough* Pussycat *cough* 😉

I agree, i didn’t like them at all. They really drained the fun out of it, in my opinion.

As for the age thing, i was 10 when it all started. I remember going to school and spending the day discussing the battles from the previous night!

Klunk
    Free Member

was it pussycat my memory has gone 🙂 it was a disc type though IIRC

Klunk
    Free Member

I agree, i didn’t like them at all. They really drained the fun out of it, in my opinion.

I liked the granny in the wheel chair ! 🙂

lerk
    Free Member

I remember watching the first series and being excited about the prospect that you could do reasonably well with a standard rc car wearing a biscuit tin… Then the second series came and brought dedicated machines made from mobility scooters and road signs and it never seemed quite as accessible!

franksinatra

Remember it? We bloody won it!

I was a member of staff on the Cadet squadron that built Typhoon. We won quite a few championships and destroyed a few house robots on the way. Typhoon was a lethal thing and to this day I wonder how we managed all that time without a Cadet losing a limb to it

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

ROADBLOCK FTW KERNOW BYS VYKEN!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Typhoon was the black box with lots of torque, yes?

mintimperial

Also a big fan of the Spaced episode.

The first rule of Robot Club is, you do not talk about about Robot Club. The second rule of Robot Club is, YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT Ro… wait, I… got that wrong.
    The second rule is, no smoking.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

War Bastard??!?

project
    Free Member

Remember reading the reason the show got canceled the robots where getting to powerful and dangerous, people getting injured etc.

chvck
    Free Member

Haha quite the coincidence, I found a robot wars VHS in the back of my bookcase this evening. Not that I have anything to play it on anymore…

eskay

OP: Have a look on ebay, you should be able to find a mini arena and the small metal models (pull back).

My kids discovered robot wars about 5 years ago (but have grown out of it now). I bought loads of the mini bots on ebay plus the arena, also bought three of the DVDs (I wasn’t obsessed, honestly!!).

SiB
    Free Member

A shipping container was sold on Storage Hunters Uk on one episode that was full of the house robots, fact

franksinatra

Typhoon was the spinning disk with hardox claws on the rim, painted like an RAF roundel

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We need pics ol blue eyes!

Duffer
    Free Member

Typhoon was the spinning disk with hardox claws on the rim, painted like an RAF roundel

…which broke the arena!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0yM5eTdiY[/video]

kimbers

Which one are you franksinatra?

Loved robot wars, stumbled on it on quest or something the other day, my kids thought it was brilliant

jambalaya
    Free Member

Oh yes 😀

franksinatra

None of the above.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Anyone remember Robot Wars?’ is closed to new replies.