Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone recommend an aftermarket head unit that…
  • ambientcoast
    Free Member

…has DAB and USB iPhone/iPod input.

Either double or single DIN, and not really bothered about a CD slot either.

What should I be looking at?

Ta!

Torminalis
    Free Member

DIN as in ?

Cougar

DIN-E is the standard fitting as seen in every car ever since about 1980, up until they started integrating them into the dashboard (and even then a lot of them are ‘double DIN’, a double-height DIN-E).

Cougar

Thusly,

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

I’m old enough to remember DIN-D, which was a smaller standard popular with those crappy radios with a volume knob on one side and a tuning one on the other and huge mechanical preset buttons.)

twonks

How much do you want to spend and is there aftermarket amps and speakers involved etc?

Torminalis
    Free Member

Interesting. Cheers Cougar!

Olly
    Free Member

skys the limit. I wanted DAB and USB but had not intentions to mess about with the rest of the system. Also was only ever going to have it welded onto 6 music so wasnt too fussed about how snazzy it was.

I have two of these. one in the car, one in the van. Sound is lots better than standard once youve put “loudness” on and set up the eq.

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/sony-cdx-dab500u-dab-car-cd-player

you will probably need to add a DAB aerial of some sort. I went with a super budget magnetic roof jobby that hangs out the back door on the car (i dont use the doors, so it isnt in the way) and a proper fitted on on the van as i was already having the headlining down.

parkesie
    Free Member

Alpine have always been the go to headunits for me. Last one i had was i pod usb card and bluetooth ready. The ipod had a slot it went into behind the facia. It also worked with the steering wheel controls on my car.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I fitted a Sony single DIN to Mrs Blazin’s car recently DAB and iPod/USB in, works a dream and was about £70 new and boxed from a seller on eBay.

CountZero

I’ve got a Kenwood DAB unit, predecessor to this one:
    http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/kenwood-kdc-dab361u-car-stereo-with-digital-radio
    For £100 you really can’t go wrong, it’s got a front USB socket, it’s actually on the right of the unit, behind a little clear plastic flap that flips back, the DAB reception around where I live, Chippenham, is generally really good with only the little stick-on windscreen antenna; I’ve driven down to Weston-Super-Mare on the M5 and only lost signal on the elevated section a couple of miles south of Avonmouth.
    I lose it from Devizes across to Salisbury, though, but I hardly ever go that way anyway.
    Great little unit, simple to use, I’ve had an Alpine unit which had an iPod interface, and it was a pig to use, horribly unintuitive interface, just changing the time on the clock was an exercise in tear-inducing frustration.
    Volume up/down buttons are a no-no, a knob is essential.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

I have an amp and a good set of 9x6s so it’s just the head unit. And yeah, mainly for 6music.

Budget – dunno, probably no more than £150 – £200 or so, although if that Sony is any good and it’s only £90 then that’ll do me. :o)

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Does that Sony (or the Kenwood) work with Spotify via USB?

twonks

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-deh-x8500dab

Good unit that works with iplop 5 and maybe 6 I believe.

You might want to save some pennies for a decent dab aerial

Sandwich

The DEH-X range from Pioneer are good, if you get it right with Halfords you’ll get 10% off on a Friday when they do 10% off between 12 and 2. The 8500 does handsfree phone as well as playing the tunes from your phone, it has a rear USB out/in unlike the cheaper ones which are front facing only.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how good DAB reception was with a screen mounted powered aerial.

unovolo
    Free Member

Here you go
    LINKY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend an aftermarket head unit that…’ is closed to new replies.