Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone Recomend a free file recovery tool ?
  • lowey

So I have managed to delete my outlook PST file, thought it had gone into the recycle bin but no… not there… in pretty deep shit without it. Can any of you clever IT people recommend an easy way to retrieve it ?

Many thanks.

footflaps

If you’re using an Exchange server, it will rebuild itself when you next connect (excluding archive folders).

wwaswas

don’t install anythign new on the drive where the file was would be my first advice.

In fact I’d take the drive out the pc now and store it somewhere safe until you know what you’re going to do.

Cougar

don’t install anythign new on the drive where the file was would be my first advice.

In fact I’d take the drive out the pc now and store it somewhere safe until you know what you’re going to do.

+1.

Rig it as a slave on another PC, then look at Recuva.

Alternatively, a Linux boot disc with file recovery tools perhaps (though I’m less sure what to recommend here, I’ll leave that to a Linux guru).

Make backups.

Cougar

If you’re using an Exchange server, it will rebuild itself when you next connect (excluding archive folders).

I think you’re thinking of an .OST rather than a .PST there.

footflaps

I think you’re thinking of an .OST rather than a .PST there.

Quite possibly… I regularly delete mine and rebuild it – faster than re-sizing it to clear out all the crap.

chaos

I’ve had success with this tool:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Default.htm?language=1

If it does get something but you then have problems you may also want to read this article:

http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-use-microsoft-outlook-inbox-repair-tool.htm

Good luck!

Who’s your ISP and how do you pull down your mail? There may still be a copy on the server if you were using IMAP. Check through their web interface.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I used one a couple of times for photos called zero assumption. i think it used to do files too.
    its been a while so i’m not sure it still exists but it was the best free one i found.

stumpy01

Recuva is free

hmanchester
    Free Member

For a pure undelete tool for free Recuva is excellent. Agreed.

lowey

Cheers lads… its seems to have gone forever.

Thing was, when I initially delted it it was showing the Recycle bin, came to restore it and it wasnt there.

Never got a warning that it was too big for the recycle bin etc. Oh well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Recomend a free file recovery tool ?’ is closed to new replies.