Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone off to france this week for some biking?
  • nbt

You might struggle

Tignes this morning

Montalbert (lower reaches of La Plagne – *waaay* down the Tarentaise valley!)

This is June 1st, remember! 😯 😯

jhw
    Free Member

Looks like a foot of snow even pretty low down in Chamonix, where I’m heading in 10 days 😯

Given that the snow had previously almost completely melted up to 2300m even on north facing slopes, so there’s no base at all, do we think this is going to melt quickly (before I go)? Or am I now limited to below the treeline/south facing slopes?

Forecast looks mixed for the rest of the week but I think the dump’s finished for now.

fasthaggis

That’s why I am waiting till July 😉

sambob
    Free Member

My mate’s there at the moment. 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

Quite a bit in Avoriaz, PDS

http://livecam.avoriaz.com/

jhw
    Free Member

I reckon it’ll be OK. It snowed 6 inches to a foot at high altitudes about a week ago and had all melted within 2 days. This snow has no base.

Maybe not though.

Bit disappointing as some routes you can normally only do in August/Sept looked like they might otherwise have been open in mid June, but c’est la vie. It’s good for the ecology I guess.

jhw
    Free Member

Sheeeeit

ianv
    Free Member

16 degrees and sunny at valnord!

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve been ski-ing in Tignes in August. Strap some blades to your mtb.

Cabri
    Free Member

Ah, jhw, don’t worry, it’s melting slowly. The tops are still covered though, but the ground is too ‘warm’ for it to take a good hold, it’s very wet snow. Besides, it’ll be hot again soon.

Down in the valley, although it was heavy rain, there were only a couple of puddles on the path, it was all absorbed. Roots slippery as a snake tho.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone off to france this week for some biking?’ is closed to new replies.