Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone know if you can get running boots?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I started to do a bit of running with the dog for half an hour in the morning before work and I go around some local fields which is great as I can let the dog off the lead and I’m not pounding the pavements. Problem is I have weak ankles and I’ve just done my right ankle in, I’ve been doing the route for a few days and it’s been ok, I just take it easy and watch where I step but it’s quite a smooth path anyway, not rutted or rough but it just hit a small off camber lump and my ankle gave way. So I need more ankle support, so is there such a thing as a running boot? I have properly fitted trainers for my running style but there is no ankle support on them. Or, is it a case of getting the neoprene type ankle supports, although I can’t image these would be that good as they are just neoprene? A quick google just brings up the military type boots you can get? Any suggestions thanks.

defydude
    Free Member

Inov8 do some booted variants of their trail shoes, but they are amusingly expensive.

Walsh do some as well.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member
    nedrapier

Salomon have some fast and light trainery-booty things. Might begin with a Q.

Red though.

TooTall
    Free Member

No

You need to strengthen your ankle. Supporting it will not strengthen it and you should be able to run without boots – hence why they are not the norm.

Fix the problem properly.

defydude
    Free Member

…to be honest, if you have weak ankle I would consider just walking at the moment to build the strength up. Especially if you have just knackered the right one even more.

Edit: Damn it. Now I have been beaten to it 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

running on rough ground is tricky.

don’t land on your heels.

Pieface

Saucony do some as well if you want a pair that will last more than a few months.

However strengthening the ankle using supplementary exercises would be better in the long-run otherwise you’ll just keep twisting your ankles.

defydude
    Free Member

Pun intended, pieface?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

+ 1 What TooTall said.

Supporting your ankle will only make it weaker. Also get more light footed/less clumsy on your feet.

Bad workman/women (to avoid an STW sexism) always blames his/her tools and all that

29erKeith
    Free Member

wobble board and build up slowly

as said already more or less already, best sort the root issue instead of putting a plaster on it

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Ok, great advice, thanks, will look at exercises to strenghen the ankles. I’m just walking a bit and running a bit at the moment but it’s been a while since I’ve done some running so I’ll ease into a bit more. Thanks.

MrSparkle

Strengthening the ankles might be the first plan but plenty of very experienced fell runners still have to either tape up their ankles or use boots such as the Inov8 ones or the Walsh ones. http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/products/walsh-pb-elite-boot.htm?brand=1

5AM
    Free Member

Running in boots will also really mess up your Achilles tendon, hence why many pro runners will actually cut down the back section of a running shoe to prevent this.

As others have said you need to strengthen the ankles rather than try and support them continuously.

willyboy
    Free Member

i’d second strapping your ankle up (just use a basic bandage and safety pins)- my right ankle is a bit dodgy and i’ve started doing this for off road runs and it helps a great deal

redhairjon
    Free Member

A really good tip to strengthen your ankles – which I picked up from my physio sister after a climbing accident – is to stand on one foot while brushing your teeth. Not as easy as it sounds! If you have good balance at the start, try shutting your eyes.

If all else fails you will make someone else laugh if they catch you!

argyle
    Free Member

get some supportive insoles like superfeet.

stever
    Free Member

I’d go with re-educating your ankles. It’s an uphill path – I’ve had 4 bad sprains in the last few years. Big subject but words like proprioception, wobble board, bosu ball, zinc oxide tape, one-legged squats might get you started. Good luck!

aracer
    Free Member

I agree with all the advice about strengthening ankles – I had problems with mine for years and religiously taped one every time I ran, but eventually sorted it, mainly by doing lots of roller skiing I think (clearly that’s not an option for most – a lot more fun than a wobble board though). Still have to be careful when I’m tired though.

If you really do have a problem you can’t fix by training, you can get ankle supports which fit inside your shoes, which are far more effective than “boots”.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know if you can get running boots?’ is closed to new replies.