Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone know anything about road bike brake pads?
  • TimP
    Free Member

I have a stock Lemond Etape which gets used a reasonable amount but not really in the rain (fair weather road rider!). However I did take it out recently and then it started to rain. With the amount of grit etc on the roads the pads have suddenly worn down very quickly and so I need to get some new ones, and was wondering what was good etc? The brakes are not sharp so wouldn’t mind more stopping power – do cartridge pads make as much of a difference on a road bike? Are there pads on the market that will last in the wet and give decent stopping power?
    I used to have deore V’s with cartridge pads on my commuter which lasted and stopped me much better than what is on there at the moment so just wondering what I can do to improve performance

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kool stop – lasts longer, works well, looks bad tho.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

I think it depends what/where/how you’re riding.

I’ve worn a pair of brand-new Shimano road brakeblocks down to the studs in 2 wet days in Staffs on a Brompton.

I’ve also had Shimano road brakeblocks on a road bike which are hardly worn at all after 4500 miles.

Brakeblocks are all pretty much of a muchness, IMHO. As I say, depends what/where/how you’re riding.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I use Swisstop Greens on my aluminium rims, and yellows on my carbon ones.

The greens are very good.

snaps
    Free Member

Try a road forum?

MoreCashThanDash

Swiss Stop Greens stop really well in the wet and last a bit longer than normal pads.

I’m currently using a pair of ProBikeKits.com own brand pads on my commuter – seem to last longer than stock Shimano pads and dirt cheap to boot!

TimP
    Free Member

Thanks snaps

I notice that you have offered similar help to others seeking advice. I thought asking on here would be quick (as I am not signed on to a road forum – I use the bike for a bit of fitness not so much of a hobby), and it seems from previous threads that many on here have road bikes, so someone might be able to help

aP
    Free Member

Just leave him to “plough his own furrow” 😛
    Swisstop black or green are pretty good (but kinda pricey), otherwise koolstop do the job – you can get some composite pads (although I’ve never used them)

snaps
    Free Member

I’m not trying to be funny, its just that I’d think you’d get a better response from a road forum where more people are likely to know.

joemarshall
    Free Member

My road bike has 105 brakes – they have a metal bit on the outside of the pads, with a little screw through it, and a rubber bit on the inside.

Does that mean they are cartridge pads?

If so, can I use any brand of insert in them, or do the inserts only work with the same brand of cartridge holder bit?

Joe

trio25
    Free Member

Another vote for koolstop!

willyboy
    Free Member

yes they are shimano cartridge pads – you should be able to go for any replacement pads that say they are ompatible with a shimano cartridge system (there are lots of makes available)

willyboy
    Free Member

compatible…

joemarshall
    Free Member

What colour koolstop?

Are swiss stop going to be noticeably better? Anyone tried both?

cheers,

Joe

pk-ripper
    Free Member

koolstop are quite a bit cheaper than swisstop if that helps make your mind up?

snaps – Member
    I’m not trying to be funny, its just that I’d think you’d get a better response from a road forum where more people are likely to know.

Oh, and I believe we proved you were misinformed last time you went down that route. Can you be angry about something else instead?

willyboy
    Free Member

I should have suggested these. I use the cantilever version on my cross bike and they are excellent. Much better than my previous avid pads http://greyville.com/products/4497?store_referer=false

pk-ripper
    Free Member

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/2667

The chaps there seem to like them. Given that I use zero gravity brakes, which are pretty crappy at the best of times, and I’m still happy with the performance tells you a fair bit about my experience with them.

aP
    Free Member

cheapest place for 10 spd 11-23 cassette 1070/ultegra
    snaps – Member
    Try a road forum?

Tri bars – or not
    snaps – Member
    Try asking on a tri site

OT: Roadie frame
    snaps – Member
    Can you keep road questions on road forums

Roadie Drivetrain Help
    snaps – Member
    Can you not ask road bike questions on a road bike forum?

Yes, I think your needle has stuck in a groove somewhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ha ha snaps is pwned. plinker.

Mortonlee
    Free Member

Well, I’m a newbie here. Interesting discussion is going here, Lots of information has been shared. Hope i would get some info regarding the brake pads and rotors here. Thanks in advance.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about road bike brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.