Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 173 total)
  • Anyone here go shooting or beating?
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Unless you eat EVERYTHING you shoot

Can I sell any of it to a butcher, so other people can eat it? Maybe give it to a friend?

Do you think game shoots throw it in the bin?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You eat foxes then?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Shooting birds is for morons.

(Unless you eat EVERYTHING you shoot)

OK Tj, read that again… just see if you can spot the problem…

You eat foxes then?

Foxes got wings round your way have they? now, even I didn’t think that a townie know nothing could get that confused 🙄

I’ve never seen a paid gun out shooting foxes, thats what the gamekeeper is for…

Any answers for the questions yet TJ? Gonna show me that you at least know the basics of shoot management?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, do you eat foxes, Labby?

ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!

MrSmith
    Free Member

You eat foxes then?

they will taste horrible, although people who eat dogs may like them?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

edited

Not worth getting drawn into

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Gamekeepers don’t shoot pheasants Elfin, thats what the guns pay to do

Gamekeepers shoot foxes, clients shoot Pheasants, thats how it works, simple innit…

It would be a bit pointless the keeper shooting all the pheasants, wouldn’t it now 😆

Still not telling me how many weeks them Pheasants spend in the woods TJ?

No idea on the old recovery rates? I mean, if it was just live target shooting, you’d expect the recovery rate to be fairly high, wouldn’t you… any ideas?

You know what TJ, the thing I really love about you, is the way you only decide to not get drawn into a debate when you’ve already been shown to be talking out of your arse 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

No, do you eat foxes, Labby?

I thought the foxes were killed because they’re pests and kill chickens that are bred for your Sunday lunch, and not for their meat. Pheasants on the other hand are stupid.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Gamekeepers don’t shoot pheasants Elfin, thats what the guns pay to do

That is not answering the question.

DO YOU EAT FOXES?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

DO YOU EAT FOXES?

Not since they stopped me using the hounds to catch them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zulu

None of your questions have the slightest bearing on the points I made.

But I fully expect you to make outrageous allegations up to divert attention away from the fact you gain pleasure from killing animals and do kill for fun.

RustySpanner

Used to shoot rabbits on the local north Manchester golf courses as a kid and sell them to a local butcher or give them away. They all got eaten.

Friends family had a farm and we used to help them out keeping the rat population down, as well as shooting corvids. Stopped as I found I didn’t enjoy shooting animals I couldn’t eat.

Can’t shoot bunnies anymore – had a pet rabbit a few years ago and got sentimental!

Still poach a good few wood pigeons every year though – absolutely delicious 🙂

Never been involved in organised game shooting though. Not really for ethical reasons (I eat farmed meat quite happily) just don’t like some of those involved that I’ve met locally.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Do you like roast beef TJ?

someone killed that cow so you could eat it… do you think he should have cried while he did it, would that change the morality of you paying him to kill that cow so you could eat it?

Do you get pleasure from eating that cow TJ? Did that cow not die just for your personal pleasure and satisfy your (needless) lust for meat?

I’m making no allegations, you said that people would call you a know nothing townie, I’m giving you a fantastic opportunity to prove them wrong.

any idea on the recovery rates yet? is the google not strong in you tonight? fairly simple question if its true that pheasant shooting is just live target shooting…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Zulu

None of your questions have the slightest bearing on the points I made. 🙄

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Not worth getting drawn into

So, are you not getting drawn into it? or are you telling me that my questions have no bearing on the points you raised?

I refer you to my point above that you only ever try to pull this card when you’re argument is on the ropes

would you prefer some other questions to establish whether you’re a know nothing townie or not instead?

One of your points was about blood lust… do you get blood lust for a nice steak TJ? or would you not prefer a lovely nut cutlet?

what makes you choose a nice, juicy, pink steak, over a quorn sausage TJ? would that be a form of blood lust?

Nothing nutritionally that you cannot get from other foods, why do you feel the need to have a cow murdered just so you can eat your Findus crispy pancakes?

RustySpanner

You see, thats the issue. I eat farmed meat and drink milk.
    The animals that provide it often live in conditions far worse than grouse or pheasant.

I’d just feel that I was a massive hypocrite if I objected to one but not the other.

The fact that someone may get pleasure from shooting a grouse has no bearing on the morality of the situation.

nick1962
    Free Member

Americans clearly have bigger appetites

nick1962
    Free Member

Even their kids

Junkyard
    Free Member

The fact that someone may get pleasure from shooting a grouse has no bearing on the morality of the situation.

True they are both wrong

Imagine euthanasia one doctor does it for compassionate reasons and one does it because they like killing people..are these identical moral situations? Are the motives irrelevant ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

to divert attention away from the fact you gain pleasure from killing animals and do kill for fun.

no need to divert attention away from it, i’m quite happy to shoot game thats been living in the wild and eat it, it’s an enjoyable experience a test of skill and you get to spend time in the great outdoors.

people who have a problem with that perhaps should consider suicide as it’s the ultimate concession to your polluting wasteful self indulgent consumerist existence.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

one doctor does it for compassionate reasons and one does it because they like killing people..are these identical moral situations? Are the motives irrelevant ?

Are the motives mutually exclusive?

is the one doing it for compassionate reasons morally precluded from taking a certain pleasure and pride in his job? Is the one who does it because he enjoys it unable to at the same time feel compassion for his patients in the process of killing them?

To the patient himself, does it make any difference (assuming they are treated identically by both, and the method of death is the same)

Would you expect a slaughterman to go home at night and cry himself to sleep, or suffer from PTSD on the basis of the horrific sights he see’s day in, day out, or would it be acceptable for him to enjoy his job and gain pride from a job well done?

nick1962
    Free Member

This guy clearly had an extreme case of the munchies

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mr smith – I have no issue with that. However not all game is the same and not all farmed animals are the same.

Many pro hunting types try to pretend its not about blood lust – especially the pathetic defence they make of the unsavoury practice of hunting with dogs which is intentionally cruel and has no utility.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Well, thats pretty much a straw man argument TJ – since hunting with dogs is illegal, innit 😉

You’ve repeatedly mentioned blood lust, I’ve asked you, is enjoying a nice steak really any different? if so, how?

Why would you eat meat if you didn’t enjoy it?

nick1962
    Free Member

Seafood anyone? All that red meat isn’t good for you.

corroded
    Free Member

you gain pleasure from killing animals

There’s a difference between pleasure and satisfaction. I don’t enjoy shooting pigeons and rabbits but I do get satisfaction from doing a clean job. And once I’ve plucked or skinned, gutted and cooked the animal I get pleasure from eating it. I also gain satisfaction from the fact I’ve taken responsibility for its death because I like to eat meat. Better that than live in ignorance and denial.

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of pheasant shoots since the stupid birds are not native and I suspect their rearing skews the surrounding ecosystems. But the shoots I know are social, welcoming occasions. It’s the arriviste City boys you have to watch out for. The local gentry tend not to have two ha’pennys to rub together.

MrSmith
    Free Member

However not all game is the same and not all farmed animals are the same.

i agree with TJ.
    😯

RustySpanner

So which animal has a better qualty of life TJ, a wood pigeon or a dairy cow?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How long is a piece of string?

Nicest bacon I ever had came from happy pigs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And I know meat is animals – I have seen and helped in the process of turning them from one into the other.

RustySpanner

Sorry, that’s not an answer.

If you genuinely believe that a dairy cow has a better life than reared game then you really need to do some research.

The pigeons I shoot, and the grouse and pheasants shot in the UK have all lead far more stress free lives than the animals that give you your milk.

If you object solely to the fact that some people take satisfaction from the act of killing your food then say so.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry, that’s not an answer.

If you genuinely believe that a dairy cow has a better life than reared game then you really need to do some research.

And I said that where?

the answer is we do not and cannot know. the range from a red deeer o a highland estate to an intensivly pen reared Pheasant is huge as it is between best practice in compassionate farming to the worst of factory farming.

the pheasants where my parents lived had short poor lives. reared intensively in pens, released to be shot, none survived the winters

RustySpanner

So what exactly are you objecting to about game shooting then?

Not the quality of life of the animal, nor the attitude of those involved in the husbandry or consumption, so what exactly don’t you like?

Just read your edit.
    Please explain why you object to reared pheasant but not farmed fish, lambs or cattle.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Where did I say I objected?

I merely pointed out that for most its all about bloodlust and that shooting a pheasant that is basically a chicken that can hardly fly is hardly sporting

You need to look at different types of hunting and deal with each in context. I understand the nuance and wider effects of it. Its not all the same.

I do object to the killing of animals purely to satisfy bloodlust.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just read your edit.
    Please explain why you object to reared pheasant but not farmed fish, lambs or cattle.

Where did I say that? stop inventing things.

RustySpanner

So it’s purely the ‘bloodlust’ you object to, the fact that someone, somewhere along the chain enjoys the act of killing?

Yet you enjoy eating that animal? You are implicit in it’s death and suffering.

Bit hypocritical, no?

Anyway, you’ve talked yourself into a corner, I’m off to bed. Happt to continue later.

user-removed
    Free Member

My father in law does the whole social shooting scene (Boxing Day shoot type scenario) and has produced some well-respected, very well trained dogs. He’s a janitor.

My brother in law (other side of the family) comes from a family with a large shooting estate in Dumfries and I’ve been to a few ‘dos’ at the family home. Some of the guests were regular folk, some were part of the old boys’ network.

If pushed, I’d have to come down on the side of the argument which believes that management of the countryside by those who know it best (keepers, beaters, the landowners themselves) is a good thing.

Try reading “Highland Year” by L Macnally for an interesting perspective; a gamekeepers’s diary with some cracking photos which gives a very real sense of a worker’s kinship with the flora and fauna he’s charged with managing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

1) people killing for pleasure and hypocritically denying it makes it worse
    2) deliberately cruel hunting methods ie chasing animals with dogs
    3) the massive hypocrisy and tissue of lies that surrounds hunting

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If pushed, I’d have to come down on the side of the argument which believes that management of the countryside by those who know it best (keepers, beaters, the landowners themselves) is a good thing.

If you want badly managed land, raptors killed, monoculture deer farms. monoculture grouse farms, impoverished eroded landscapes.

The difference between land managed for hunting and land managed for conservation is huge – with afar more variety of habitat and species when land is managed with broader aims.

Fortunately in Scotland we have since devolution had the ability to have land bought for the communities that use the land and its making a huge difference

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I merely pointed out that for most its all about bloodlust and that shooting a pheasant that is basically a chicken that can hardly fly is hardly sporting

Some chicken 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-X07Akjsmc&feature=related[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP0C9ZLySXE&feature=related[/video]

Hardly fly 🙄 You really do talk out your ring TJ… Get anywhere with those seasonal recovery rates, since they’re such easy targets ❓

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here go shooting or beating?’ is closed to new replies.