• This topic has 40 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Anyone here given up MTB in favour of road or CX?
  • SaxonRider

As per thread title.

If so, have you had any regrets?

brassneck

Come back to it more if anything. Having more fun on the bike than battering myself.

mr34
    Free Member

Yes stopped riding the mtb a while back just rode the road and cx .fine for what I was doing and the time I have

Mtb was just to much of a drag on the road to get to any decent off road and too much maintenance,

Now sold the mtb ,road bike and cx  and bought a very nice gravel bike it will do all i want and has so far. Plus simple maintenace .

Next purchase another set of wheels to run off road tyres and keep the current set for road tyres

No regrets

Cheers

Haze

Yes, and no 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not entirely, no. Local riding means the gnarmac bike gets used most, but not given up any form of riding. It’s all good.

stevious

More or less – the road biking from the door is better than the MTBing where I live so more out of convenience than anything else.

Only reason I haven’t sold my MTB is that it’s worth almost nothing and still gets used once or twice a year. I get most of the offroading joy from exploring forests and hills so the gravel bike scratches that itch.

crazy-legs

Only reason I haven’t sold my MTB is that it’s worth almost nothing and still gets used once or twice a year. I get most of the offroading joy from exploring forests and hills so the gravel bike scratches that itch.

Pretty much sums up my MTBing too. Last time I used the MTB was for a 3 mile pootle down the old railway line gravel track to the cafe and back, before that it was in the lovely Beast from the East snow. Otherwise it’s CX or road all the time. Much less faff.

spacemonkey

Bought a Whyte Friston in Jan and it’s so ****ing brilliant that it’s become my steed of choice for road/gravel/XC/trails.

Well, that was until last week when I let loose the HT again, and I was suddenly reminded how much fun it is to be that bit more aggressive on the trails.

Will be out on the latter one evening this week then again at the weekend … after that, we’ll have to see.  Both are smile-inducing and that’s the thing I’m grateful for.

Meanwhile my road bike remains untouched this year … for now …

molgrips
    Free Member

Mtb was just to much of a drag on the road to get to any decent off road

Lack of quality riding seems to be the biggest reason to give up MTB….

hardtailonly

No. But over the years the overlap between my MTB riding and CX/Gravel has massively increased. CX & Gravel bikes do get the greatest use, and manage 90% of the local trails (North Leeds) pretty well, and pretty much rideable (minceable) down anything we have here. Not always the best tool for the job, but the gains in being able to blast easier trails/bridleways and the quicker tarmac linking sections often offset the fun of the more techy trails. Quite often find the MTB rather a drag on the tamer stuff …

BUT

Having recently built up my first FS (old Skool 26er and on the cheap), am remembering how much fun it is to carry speed through rocky rooty trails and the fast techy-ish downs … That buzz and exhilaration that just doesn’t come in the same way from threading your (nice Ti) gravel bike with 1.6″ rubber down the same section at a snails pace! I just choose the routes I do according to what bike I fancy … Often it’s the CX/Gravel, but not always.

AND … When you go away to Scotland, the Lakes, Wales etc, and want to do either the trail centres or big mountain hike-a-bike-and-back-down-again rides, really a MTB is the only bike that will do …

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

It’s a year since I last rode a MTB,I just can’t motivate myself to put the MTB in the car & drive to a decent trail.

I much prefer the convenience of riding either the road bike or the Gravel bike from the doorstep,I also cycle to explore places & I’m exploring more off road on the Gravel bike & more quiet country lanes on the road bike.

I’ve no intention of selling the MTB’s,they’re not really worth much,plus if I want to do some proper off road stuff such as a big day out in the Dales or a day at Antur Stiniog I’ll just give them a service & put the bike in the car..

I’m sure the desire to get back on a mountain bike will happen again,but I’m surprised that it’s a year since I last rode one.

kerley
    Free Member

I don’t have a road, CX or MTB.  I just have a bike that covers alls the terrain where I live.  Some of it would be best on an MTB, some on a gravel bike, some on a road bike but I ride on all of it in a single ride.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, and No.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Did you do a forum search? i’m sure you posted this already about a day ago?

MrPottatoHead

Yep – probably about 5 yrs ago now.  After 20+ years of riding the same local trails I just lost interest and don’t have the time or inclination to travel further.  CX made those trails more interesting again and linking up with more road sections that I’d not explored.  Dabbled a bit with CX racing and found it more fun than some MTB races I’d done in the past.  Also started running more, looking for new challenges which led to triathlons.

So basically still riding as much as ever, and I’ll no doubt come back to MTB at some point – probably when my son is older – but right now, it’s not for me.

13thfloormonk

Almost entirely given up MTB. Lots of reasons but mainly because I was becoming a total liability, seemed incapable of riding anything at less than 100% commitment which meant more injuries and crashes. CX is filling a niche nicely, most of the fun (speed, tight trails, mud) but less of the crashes and injuries.

Also, what I loved most on the MTB was exploring/bikepacking etc. Road bike + Strava route planner is satisfying the exploring bug, and I doubt I’ll be bikepacking much in the next wee while with a 10 month old at home!

Funny but ‘proper’ MTB almost seems like a niche to me now, brilliant fun but too much hassle etc. Basically an N+1+1+1 for me…

angeldust
    Free Member

Not given up on mtb, but it has become a more definite split of mtb in the summer, dry months (got sick of the mud in winter), and road bike in winter.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’ve sold my FS and have a Whyte 909 and I’ve built up a hybrid out of an Inbred 29er frame. I’m finding it the best of both worlds. It’s cheap, the Inbred is a great all-rounder, scratching all my non-MTB itches and the HT is great fun. I’m riding MTB less but appreciating it much more.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I’ve not given up but im certainly on a longer than I expected break.

As a fairly new dad to a 3 and 1 year old my time on the weekends is precious, I spend all week at work and just want to spend the time on the weekend with the family.

On the other hand i have an itch to get out and ride, road/cx fits in with family life well. Instead of spending time driving to trails, cleaning bikes/clothes, fixing bikes etc I can spend that time riding. A quick 3 hour early morning blast from the door step means i can be back in time for a good day out.  I can ride off road from my house but its a good 30mins ride to anything half decent and that just do it for me on a mtb sense.

Im not selling the mtb, itll come back out sometime when my life is ready.

MSP

I have done the opposite, the road bike is now relegated to a few turbo training sessions when I can be bothered, in reality I may as well just throw it out it takes up more room than it is worth. I just can’t be bothered dealing with retarded petrol heads anymore, much rather get off the road and into nature.

But the trails start 5 mins ride from my door, so it is easy for me, even my commute is mainly on fireroads through the forest.

njee20
    Free Member

Ridden my MTB once in the last year. Was ok, quite enjoyed it, but it wasn’t “OMG I’ve missed this so much”. Will keep the MTB, wouldn’t want to not have the option, but overwhelmingly ride on the road now.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nope, have ridden road & tried CX but they are as interesting as watching paint dry & I live in an area that is ‘prime’ for both.

I’d rather just ride my MTB a bit less & have some actual fun when I do.

I think i’d rather take up running than ride road or CX. I hate running.

daern
    Free Member

18 months ago I was 100% MTB (I didn’t even own a road bike!), but now am something like 50% road, 20% CX and 30% MTB and each month the percentage MTB seems to be dropping. My reasons are a little complicated, but mostly because we rode the local trails to death and my son started to get the bug for road riding. We’re now into 4hr+ rides (normally, without much of a break), something that never seems to happen on the MTB and we both really enjoy the physical effort required to do this. As a result, I’m currently lighter and thinner than I’ve been for many years and anything less than 100 miles doesn’t seem to leave me exhausted any more (unless I do it with a fast group at pace, of course!)

That said, I asked my son this morning how he ranks his different cycling disciplines and he rated them as follows:

MTB
    Road (endurance)
    CX
    Grasstrack
    TT
    Track

I suppose this means I’d better dust off the mountain bikes 🙂

Kahurangi

I have a few times taken my CX out on MTB trails. Liek the Sutton Bank red trail. for 90% of the trail it was absolutely fine, when it got steep and rocky, I very quickly missed the MTB!

90% of my riding is very much MTB/Enduro bike territory, if I gave up the MTB I’d might as well give up bikes altogether.

YMMV 🙂

mcnultycop

I’ve not given up, but I’m finiding road easier to get out for 90 minutes so I’m doing much more of that currently.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m riding my hardtail a lot more. With 650b+ and 29er wheels it adapts really well to conditions / riding type.

Saying that, I rode the bouncer last night. It was a massive amount of fun.

IHN

More or less – the road biking from the door is better than the MTBing where I live so more out of convenience than anything else.

This, basically, although that off-roading itch is scratched by my hardtail MTB.

To my mind, what ‘gravel’ is now is what ‘mountain biking’ was when I got into it 20-odd years ago, so I do it on what I did it on then (albeit with slightly chunkier tyres and a suspension fork). The increased gnaaarification of mountain biking has pretty much passed me by.

FWIW, I saw a review for a new ‘flat-bar’ gravel bike today on my Google feed. It looked exactly like a 90’s MTB, bar-ends and all.

kerley
    Free Member

FWIW, I saw a review for a new ‘flat-bar’ gravel bike today on my Google feed. It looked exactly like a 90’s MTB, bar-ends and all.

That is pretty much what my bike is like (although it is fixed gear)

Rigid forks, Flat bars, 73 degree angles and 43c gravel tyres.  Absolutely perfect for the mixes of terrain I ride it on.

daern
    Free Member

Liek the Sutton Bank red trail. for 90% of the trail it was absolutely fine, when it got steep and rocky, I very quickly missed the MTB!

To be fair, that particular red is about the least red trail I’ve ridden in the whole country! I’m pretty sure I could ride 90% of it on my 25c road bike without dinging my rims!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have gone from a full sus MTB, hard tail MTB, and Kona PhD gentlemans commute conversion to keeping my Full sus and gaining a Kona Jake CX bike.

MTB for the fun aspect of riding in the woods, always going to be my first love.

CX bike for everything else, including fun in the woods but on different trails. Even with 35mm CX tyres it makes a more than adequate commuter (26 mile round trip through mountainous Hampshire).

ton

I am having a post surgery sabbatical.  scared shitless of falling off for some reason.

so the all road bike I bought is getting loads of use.

earl_brutus
    Free Member

I do more road miles than anything else nowadays, but go mtbing every now and then sometimes wales, derbyshire peaks, and have a week in the alps once a year. Just bought a cx so that gets used for offload trails near my house the most. The main thing that killed my mtbing is the faff of having to drive 1-2hr to get anywhere with half decent trails whereas I can just go straight out the door on the cx or road bike and cover 50km in a few hours.

lunge

Yep, me. Few things that out me off:

Driving. No interesting in putting the bike in the car for an hour to get to some good trails, seems an hour wasted to me that could be used for riding. This leads to…

Local trails. They’re OK but no more and they’re still a 4 mile road ride from my house. They’re also pretty limited, potentially exciting on the rigid MTB I had in 1995 but less interesting now.

Faff/time. Generally it feels faffy, like I need to allocate more time than is really needed. On a road ride I can be on good roads within 5 mins of leaving my house and the prep involves getting dressed, filling a bottle and checking tyre pressure.

So now I am almost exclusively road with the odd bit of canal work thrown in. I also run a lot which works well when I’m time poor. If I have 30 minutes spare I can go and run 5k and feel I’ve had a good workout, 90 mins and i can have a good ride on the road, with the MTB in that time I’ve barely reached the trails. I do occasionally miss it, but selling my car has meant my options are limited now and I’m more than happy with what I do.

poah
    Free Member

not a chance.  The thought of road riding puts me to sleep.  I’ll commute but that’s on a hard tail.  If I had to do it more often I’d buy an ebike.  I don’t mind traveling to different places to ride and it lets me see different parts of the country.

SaxonRider

@lunge, what you have just described in almost exactly what led to me asking the question. I certainly can’t complain about my local trails, but everything else you said is pretty much me.

senorj

I pretty much have, come to think of it – I ride from home 99.95% of the time these days.Apart from the odd weekend away ,which I keep my best old26″ for. Geography & family time constraints are the main reason but also I hate driving these days…4 hours on my my Cx just about satisfies my off road/at one with nature needs. If I lived somewhere with better offroad riding from the door I’d be looking at a new mountain bike,as it is I’m lusting after carbon cx /gravel. 🙂

oldtalent
    Free Member

My god no. Road bikes are boring & likely to get run over. Riding on a gravel path sounds equally dull.

mtb’s in the car and off to somewhere exciting each weekend.

weeksy

Soemtimes it may seem like it… A large chunk of my riding is Zwift based, but that’s down to time and family stuff. I can ride when my lad gets home from school or while it’s lunch break time when WFH. The Zwifting means i get full on effort and time utilisation.

However, i REALLY look forward to our Sat morning rides, local trails, local woods and forests, even if they’re not the most exciting trails in the world, they’re still BRILLIANT.

Although, summer, my legs and arms look like i’m a self-harm addict with issues.

molgrips
    Free Member

the prep involves getting dressed, filling a bottle and checking tyre pressure.

So why does MTB require more prep than that?

I mean there’s the washing, but that can be optimised significantly.

TheGingerOne

I bought a Cannonale Slate in February and use it for commuting and gravel riding. I have not ridden my road bike since. This purchase tied in with riding my road bike a lot over the last 4 years or so and doing less mountain biking, however last year I got bored of road riding and wanted to get back to offroad, away from people and cars.

I still ride my hardtail 29er most weekends though have not ridden my full sus since Basque last September, though it is going to Scotland next week for a week of trail centre riding.

I reckon I could easily give up my road bike and full sus, but I might as well keep them given what they are worth and I might need them in the future. They cost me nothing to keep \ mothball

I have also gone packless, relaising the vast majority of my rides are 3hours or less. 1 water bottle and an old Cannondale waitpack that holds a multi-tool, inner tube, pump and keys is all I need for the South Downs and will be what I use at the Trail Centres too. Lovely not lugging round a hydration pack

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here given up MTB in favour of road or CX?’ is closed to new replies.