Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone got an inflatable kayak ?
  • beermonst3r44
    Free Member

As the title says really, I’ve been looking at a few cheaper ones around 170 quid, seemed very sturdy and robust
    I would rather get something around this price at first in case I don’t like it long term.

Esme
    Free Member

Why inflatable? Where are you planning to use it (canal, river, lake, sea?)

epicyclo

Yes. Floats nicely and is rigid (much to my surprise).

Big problem is much more windage than I am used to. I’ll only use it close to the shore if there’s any wind.

Also broader in the beam than I would like.

However I’ve been eyeing off those inflatable SUPs, and I reckon velcro a seat and footrest onto one of them and it would be better.

julians
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve a sevylor adventure, 2 man inflatable kayak. Bought from decathlon for £170 acouple of years ago.

It’s pretty decent for short trips and messing about at the beach,but I wouldnt want to try and cover any significant distance in it, as they’re not too efficient. I use mine in the med as a tender to get me from the real boat to shore.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’ve got one from Lidl, 40 quid, it’s badass:

TheDTs
    Free Member

Used my sisters.
    Bit of fun, tired quite quickly. Its okay for pottering locally close to the shore. Definitely a windage issue and not that easy to keep on a straight line.
    The one I’ve used is a Sevylor one, so on the spendier end of the market I think.

Not a patch on the single seat rigid sit on top or the 17′ coleman I have also used.

AD

We’ve got a Sevylor Tahiti – its great for messing about on Lakes with the kids and is easy to inflate/deflate/store.
    The Tahiti absolutely needs a skeg – you will just go round in circles unless you are a very competent paddler!
    As epicyclo says – the windage can be a bit of a problem but I wouldn’t use ours in any sort of windy conditions.
    The Tahiti isn’t as good as a ‘normal’ canoe but for what we need it for, its been awesome and it fits in the boot of the car…

silverneedle
    Free Member

Ive got one its an innova (safari perhaps). One man. Only got used a couple of times, i was given it. Its got a removable fin, massive bag rucksack thing and a sperable possibly fibreglass paddle. The blurb on the website says its very versatile.

http://www.innovakayak.com/store/#!/Safari/p/465855/category=184322

Will have to try to get it to the coast this year and have a proper go.

petec
    Free Member

Had a few of the Intex explorer from amazon.

The fact I’ve had a few says all you need to know. They’re very good at replacing them though. No questions asked. Again, says a lot.

Pooling up and down the Thames in them, you can’t go through locks, or run it aground on the gravel beds, or not be careful of trees or roots etc.

And then pumping up two boats takes 20 min, makes you hot and bothered, annoys the waiting kids, and then you have to put them away in the car, then get them out and dry them, then put them away.

Great when you’re actually out though. Be aware you still need a licence, even for an Inflatable

Taken the plunge this year and got some tootega pulse sitons. Much easier. Can’t wait for it to get warmer.

AlexSimon

My experience is with canoes, rather than kayaks, but the proper Avon-rubber-dinghy-type ones are really worth the money if you can stretch to it. Even second hand.
    We’ve had 2 Gumotex Canoes now and thy are fantastic, hold their value really well (bought second hand and sold for the same price).

Beautiful things to use and own.

Downsides are that compared with rigids, they aren’t as fast or as good in wind. Never really matters unless you are alongside a rigid though.

andyl
    Free Member

Was looking at these in costco the other day.

Sevylor adventure kit was £170+ vat

Jimmy Styks inflatable SUP £350 + vat

antigee

got a Sevylor one sat in the garage – ditto above – any breeze and a bit difficult – had some fun on quiet waters but pumping up and getting back down time consuming – its heavy to carry and takes a lot of space – got some cheapish sit ons take up roof space on car but much more useable

Edukator
    Free Member

Had a Sevylor two man for a few years. It was a lot of fun. We used it on low-grade white water and the lack of either a splash deck or any drain meant the thing filled with water through the waves and got extremely heavy and difficult to paddle; which when you’re trying to avoid rocks and go through rapids pointing in the direction of the current (to avoid capsize or getting stuck in stoppers) is exhausting. I sold it because of a dodgy shoulder.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZICXKokEPs&index=24&list=UU9Uo2n8leFTeo60fUj7RDsw[/video]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an inflatable kayak ?’ is closed to new replies.