Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Anyone else in fancy dress today?
  • dragon
    Free Member

Pah middle class arty w*nk, bollocks. Pathetic, if kids don’t want to read for the sake of reading then you are a sh*t teacher / parent.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I doubt many kids are dressing up as the authentic 1968 Colan and Esposito “Invicible Iron Man”

also doubt that many kids are dressing up as the bestselling author and subject of countless books both biographical, historical and fictional, Adolf Hitler.

Maybe kids like Elsa and Captain America better than genocidal dictators. Who knew?

woody2000

I’m still sat in my cycling gear, does that count? 🙂

GrahamS

Pah middle class arty w*nk, bollocks. Pathetic, if kids don’t want to read for the sake of reading then you are a sh*t teacher / parent.

Isn’t a big part of that about encouraging kids to read and making books fun?

Which is exactly what this “middle class arty w*nk, bollocks” day is meant to be about? 😕

Maybe kids like Elsa and Captain America better than genocidal dictators. Who knew?

Yep, those are the only two options available.
    Hollywood films or books by Hitler.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Totally forgot about it so sent my daughter to school today holding a toaster and told her if anyone asked she’s page 256 of the Argos book 😆

GrahamS

Doing it right 😀

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EEjreF]Reading[/url] by Tim Peake, on Flickr

He’s gone to work dressed up as an astronaut. 😀

matt_outandabout

What books are they from exactly?

Agreed.

BillMC

and various fart signs and fart soundbox

a putin’ an’ a trumpin’ no doubt.

Scamper
    Free Member

It was time to dig out the trusty Gruffalo costume. Also been used for Halloween and World Wildlife Conservation Day at Pre School.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Our school have done a proper middle class take on the first world ‘world book day’ issue – come as your favourite Shakespeare character. 😯

Quite a few of the four year olds are struggling with that concept…

MoreCashThanDash

It was time to dig out the trusty Gruffalo costume. Also been used for …. World Wildlife Conservation Day at Pre School

Why don’t you know?

Theres no such thing as a Gruffal….Oh!

😀

GrahamS

come as your favourite Shakespeare character.

Has anyone blacked up to be the Moor of Venice? 😀

beefy

I work in a high school, some of the teachers are dressed up as what can only be described as idiots.

Today is now hell.

ninkynonk
    Free Member

in my girl’s school they did it slightly differently and every year had to go as a different character from an authors books i.e. yr 5 was David Walliams and yr6 was Julia Donaldson. The Ninkynonks are in yr 3 and theirs was Roald Dahl… so one Umpa Lumpa and Sophie from BFG.

Must admit they did look cute this morning! :o)

GrahamS

The Ninkynonks are in yr 3 and theirs was Roald Dahl…

They should have gone as James Bond then. 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMreXnVxIRQ[/video]

gonzy
    Free Member

Why don’t you know?

Theres no such thing as a Gruffal….Oh!

my favourite food the gruffalo said…youll taste good on a slice of bread…

MoreCashThanDash

LittleMissMC’s teacher went last year as The Boy in the Dress.

Apparently he won’t be repeating that this year….

GrahamS

my favourite food the gruffalo said…youll taste good on a slice of bread…

Not big. Not bad. But a mouse at least.
    You’ll taste good as a midnight feast.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think anything that encourages kids to read or parents to read to their kids is a good idea but judging by the playground this morning the kids that were in costume are already getting this and those that weren’t are not. Hopefully the day will rub off on those ones and make them want to read. Whether that will be enough to overcome their parents indifference to reading is another thing. Round our way a lot of the parents would rather spend their money on cigarettes and alcohol and not books.

molgrips
    Free Member

If kids are just going as bloody Frozen characters or ones from other films then it’s going to make bugger all difference. I like the theme idea from some people’s schools – but then again, that makes it something that the school’s directed rather than coming from the kids.

Yak

Our kids have to bring the book in, stand up in assembly and say something about the book and their character. Seems a good idea as it avoids generic film characters being used. They also can’t win the year or overall prize for best outfit if they are in a shop-bought outfit.

Zero-cost bodge-jobs seem to win.

GrahamS

I think getting them to bring in the book is a good plan.

If they want to dress up as a character from a book then let’s see the actual book.

That lets kids select more obscure books that the school may not have and gives them a chance to read from the book, show it to friends and discuss it in class.

BillOddie

also doubt that many kids are dressing up as the bestselling author and subject of countless books both biographical, historical and fictional, Adolf Hitler.

One for the 7 year old for next year…

Today I sent Charlie Bucket and Greg Heffley (you’ll know if you have an 8 year old that reads) to school. They were amongst the minority that weren’t dressed as premiership footballers or superheroes.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It’s a pain in the arse but childen at or school needed to bring the book with them.

My boy took Pirate love Underpants and went as a pirate with pants on his head. Just so happened that he was a pirate at Haloween and that was the costume we had!

MoreCashThanDash

My daughters school you are supposed to take the book in. Though having watched the kids coming out when I picked her up, I’m intrigued as to what book Lionel Messi is in from the number of kids in his kit.

Special prize for the TA wearing her normal clothes – and a badge saying “Muggle”

santacruzsi
    Free Member

The Train conductor was ‘where’s wally!

aracer
    Free Member

Wot no pics?

Might not be all that obvious for anybody who hasn’t read kids’ books – characters from the books they’re currently reading.

A few Darth Vaders around – SiL posted on FB a pic of her boy with a Star Wars book, so clearly that’s legit. Though in general it seems a really good idea to me, as even if the parents aren’t into books, it is just another little thing helping books seem exciting.

cubist
    Free Member

I was having a whinge to my wife about the amount of kids going as Marvel Super heroes or Disney Princesses and my 10yr old son pointed out that Marvel wrote comic books before films and most of the Disney princesses are based on books (Frozen is apparently based the Ice Queen by Hans Christian Andersen). Cocky little bugger.

chomp
    Free Member

Youngest was Willy Wonka (mainly homemade) – to be fair he’s watched both films about 5 times in the last week trying to perfect the mannerisms!

An old school friend works in a secondary school and she went in full stormtrooper outfit – YESTERDAY

from what I gather from facebook stalking – many lols were had by one and all

(saw pics and she’s in a proper outfit (not el cheapo) and is rocking it with black stilletos

GrahamS

Your son was apparently on this thread earlier 😀

Frozen is apparently based the Ice Queen by Hans Christian Andersen

It’s really not. They both feature ice and magic, that’s about it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Queen#Story

(I remember reading the Snow Queen as a kid and being terrified by people getting shards of the broken troll mirror in their hearts, making them see ugliness and evil everywhere. I think the boy gets some in his eye too. Weird book)

molgrips
    Free Member

Frozen is apparently based the Ice Queen by Hans Christian Andersen

Only very very slightly.

matt_outandabout

Well, if we are doing pics…

mattsccm
    Free Member

As a supply teacher going to a school for the first time I was not risking turning up as The Cat in the Hat or as last year a farmer from Fantastic MR Fox (good excuse though to wear my tweed jacket and have bags of doughnuts in the class) , only to find that it was not happening at that school. Could have though. All good fun although the lack of imagination appals me. It was all Tesco princess costumes and lots of kids with their heads in Minecraft boxes! Don’t get that one.

miketually
    Free Member

If they want to dress up as a character from a book then let’s see the actual book.

And for the kid who lives in a home with no books?

molgrips
    Free Member

They say ‘Sorry Miss I didn’t have any books’ and the teacher says ‘that’s ok, it’s not a big deal’ and we all carry on…

Yak

The teacher pre-empts this and suggests that everyone has a good look in the school library prior to world book day.

GrahamS

A visit from social services?

Bregante

The youngest is a bit of a fan of the How to Train Your Dragon books.

molgrips
    Free Member

He looks more like Hiccup than Hiccup.

MussEd
    Free Member

Well a wee lad in my boys nursery today turned and said to me “we’ve no got any books in oor hoose” To which I replied “Have you not?” And he said “haaaaaaa got you, only kidding you”. He’s 4. He saw the middle class angst all over my face and stitched me right up…I like him.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else in fancy dress today?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM