Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone else have problems with clipless!?
  • Mikey_M
    Free Member

Right, i bought some egg beaters from Crank Bros last week. Bearing in mind that i have used the shimano clipless a few years ago, but then been riding flats ever since until now.

I took them out, they are great for power ect ect. But when it comes to the technical stuff, or wanting to put my foot out, i just have trouble getting to grips with clipping out!! Is it just me?

well, yesterday i was out doing my local route. I stopped at a set of traffic lights, went to put my foot down and completely FORGOT i had these pedals on! so i crashed to side pretty hard and managed to fracture my collar bone! My luck cant get any better.

Lets here you stories that you've had with clipless. Right now, i despise them.

Michael.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Hard luck mate. I'm sure we've all done the comedy stack as you described, although it's pretty unlucky to end up fracturing something!

For what it's worth when I ran Crank Bros pedals I had more trouble staying clipped in than unclipping. Back to Shimano now, far more reliable 🙂

Mikey_M
    Free Member

Hopefuly ill be back up and riding again in time for the new year!

I have trouble getting clipped in sometimes, but once im in, thats it! Shimano ones are brilliant! But must admit, Crank Bros look the dogs danglies 😀

pixelmix
    Free Member

Have you made sure your cleats are set to the easiest entry? Your can exist at 15 or 20 degrees – try the 15 if you are finding it tricky. I've ridden Crank Bros for a couple of years and love em. No problems around town these days (did once fall over at lights but I put that down to being knackered after a long squash game, so not thinking properly). Great over fast bumpy off road stuff, and only downside is in trials style bits where you might fancy a dab, but you need that extra split second to think about it.

I would recommend persevering – make sure you are set to 15 degrees and get into the habit of unclipping as you approach lights.

Mikey_M
    Free Member

yes my right foot is set at 15 degrees where as my left is 20 degrees. I think im going to keep them on for now, like you said, they are great around town and on hardpack stuff. And maybe keep a spare set of flatties for when i go into the Peaks 🙂

Probably down to me not thinking quick enough 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

I used Shimano for and tried Crank Bros Candies recently. It took a little while to get used to the different clipping-in motion, but I definitely find them better for round town when I'm clipping in and out a lot.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have have my XTR pedals set that loose I might as well be using flats.
    It suits me as its very easy to stick a foot out, but sometimes pedal strikes knock my foot out of the clips.

odannyboy
    Free Member

my shimano are takin some getting used too.i think when the cleats wear a little it gets easier, but that could be me getting more experienced.it is taking me suprisingly longer to master than i thought.luckily my falls have been ofroad and (mainly) on to soft stuff.

Mikey_M
    Free Member

yes i found that my Crank Bros got easier to clip in and out once i bed them in a little. But once your are riding for long distance on the road, you tend to forget that they are there. Hence why i fell over!! 😉

fifi_bowen
    Free Member

Flats rule!!!!
    Breaks don't rule, I was broken last Christmas it sucks – good luck:-)

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hi do you twist you ankles in or out.

I do or did twist my ankles in and have pretty much exactly the same problems.

Obviously if you twist your ankles in you can only clip out if the pedals are flat. Also you have to kinda pull in then step your foot out, kinda a two stage motion.

Where as most people twist out and therefore can quickly move there feet out by just janking them to the side when they need to.

However the musles on the out side of my leg just arent as strong as the ones on the inside.

But with practise it is possible and much better.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Firt time out with Shimano clipless,a few years ago…I remembered on the car park where we met up….didn't at the next,OUCH! Didn't break anything,though.
    Michael,out of interest why would you swop to flats for Peaks riding?
    I like the "connected" feeling that spuds provide.
    I'm not getting into the one is better than the other debate,as with everything else,it's each to their own.

Mikey_M
    Free Member

Young dave riley – The only reason id swap back to flats when i go to the Peaks, is because when coming downhill, i feel that i can just bail out whenever i want to. But when using the Crank Bros, I tend to stay stuck in them when i come off 😉 So in other words, ive lost all confidence in using the Crank Bros for anything other than on road commuting. As i sh*t myself when i come down hill with them on!! So the verdict for me is…. Crank Bros for the road, hardpack ect. And flatties for the Peaks 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you don't lik them why are you bothering?

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Broken my scapula bone in shoulder because of clips !
    Took a jump, went tits up, landed, forgot I had my bike attached to my feet, bailed, slid along the ground, hit a tree with my shoulder – broke !

Still using them though, just dont jump so much, XC and trail centres are fine but I just take it easy, beneift (power transfer, not having to worry about feet position) out weighs loss

pixelmix
    Free Member

yes my right foot is set at 15 degrees where as my left is 20 degrees

Are you sure you have set them up correctly? They should both be 15 degrees or both 20 degrees. Have a look at the manual again. Unless you are mixing different sets of cleats, they should both be the same depending on which shoe you have the cleat with two dots.

nickc

because when coming downhill, i feel that i can just bail out whenever i want to

I use nothing but clipless, and after a crash (or during one for that matter) I've never ever once remained connected to the bike.

Have to say, we've had this discussion before and I still find it pretty amazing that people "forget" that they're clipped in. Do you try to get out of cars without taking seat belts off as well?

james
    Free Member

"completely FORGOT i had these pedals on! "
    Theres your problem ..

You're probably paranoid enough of them not to forget you're using them in order to get used to them before they become second nature

Try building up the technicality of your rides as you get used to them and try to keep pushing yourself at what you'll ride clipped in.

If you decide to try and ride unclipped with one foot as you ride technical bits you'll be in a worse (foot) position than with flats and you'll not learn to ride the technical bits clipped in. Don't let yourself chicken out of riding those bits clipped in. Keep building it up and it'll become second nature

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I found with a bit of practice with shimano clipless I can get unclipped pretty easily…and it really does make a difference, but I often unclip and ride on the flat side of the pedals when I'm on the trails because I quite often find I need to get a foot down quickly. I'm most likely gonna go back to flats on my mountain bike and stick the spds on the road bike!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else have problems with clipless!?’ is closed to new replies.