• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone else get an irrational paranoia about forks leaking air while riding?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I'm sure they actually aren't, but while I'm riding I often become convinced that either:

a) The positive air spring is leaking

b) The negative air spring is leaking

or c) The positive air spring is leaking, followed by – oh wait… no, it feels much harder now – it's not the positive air spring that's leaking, it's actually the negative spring, yes I can definitely feel that. Oh hang on… etc., etc.

I'm sure things weren't this complicated when it were all elastomers.

clubber
    Free Member

Lol. No, never.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nope – just suspension fluid 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Stop thinking so much.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just get coil forks if it is that much of an issue.

…or just stay at home with the curtains drawn 😉

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Not for the first time on here, I'm convinced I must be highly unusual.. 😕

trinity1
    Free Member

have to agree with jamie never had a problem with mm fighters or rc40's coil and oil is the bestif you dont mind the weight

radoggair
    Free Member

well………….. ever since i TRIED to service my lyrics ( when i say service, i mean take the top cap off, greases the bearings on the travel adjuster and put it back on ) and i lost all but 1 ball bearing it now means that i can start a descent with 145mm travel and finish at the bottom with 120 mm travel.

That aint good 😥

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of.. I've had problems with my forks since I first bought em so I've always got a niggle in the back of my mind making me think they're not quite right. I think mine leak a bit, I check every month or so and they've usually gone down about 10psi or so. Need a TF Tuning, I guess.

toys19
    Free Member

I was at the doctors the other day and he said I was being paranoid. Well he didn't actually say it but you could tell that was what he was thinking.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I check every month or so and they've usually gone down about 10psi or so. Need a TF Tuning, I guess.

you sure thats not just air going into the pump? The reading when you put the pump on is always lower than what they actually just were (if you know what i mean?)

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah it could be. The pump's meant to have one of those anti-air loss valves though. tbh the fork needs a service anyway as I've had it for a few months and it hadn't been serviced prior to my purchase for about 18 months. So I might as well get it all checked out 🙂 The motion control is nackered as well, keeps leaking oil.

epicyclo

Don't know about irrational. It happens.

First time was on a motorbike. Very nasty job keeping it upright.

Second time was in a 12 hour race when my White Bros forks collapsed. I was too knackered to notice and just thought my bike handling skills had deteriorated with fatigue.

Only 40 years between the incidents, so you can see it is something to watch for 🙂

tron
    Free Member

I'm fairly sure the anti air loss stuff is aimed at not losing air when you disconnect from the forks. Filling the gauge and hose will always result in a reduced reading – TF agrees with me in the Fundamentals vid on fork tuning.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Might be an idea to ride a wee bit faster or concentrate more on your riding.

ampthill

Stands to reason that when you connect air is going into the pump, I can't see a way round that.

glenh
    Free Member

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean it's not happening…… 😈

Spud

Only when it actually happens, at Afan, just before the final descent on the Skyline! Happy I was not!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else get an irrational paranoia about forks leaking air while riding?’ is closed to new replies.