Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • anyone else excited by B+
  • deviant
    Free Member

Does the B stand for Bollox or Bullshit? If you don’t finish every ride on a half decent bike with a smile on your face you’re doing something wrong.

This.

The concept may be right for some bikes and useless for others but the now cliched phrases of…”i finished the ride with a grin on my face”…”i had a shit eating grin on my face”…”grinning from ear to ear” used to prop up any discussion on the merits or otherwise of wheel sizes, fat tyres, plus tyres etc is as old as the #Enduro thing…as above if you werent having fun on your previous bikes what were you doing wrong?!

nedrapier

as in 650B, but a little bit wider. It’s a rim width thing. 700c is wider still, but a bigger diameter.

To be honest, if you’re smiling, you probably wouldn’t understand. After all, you can’t even say the letter “B” with a grin on your face.

rOcKeTdOg

Gotta love them journos, still they are not paying them to be negative about products are they so “i finished the ride miserable & ready to give up biking for ever/wanting to stick to [insert wheel size/old standard not being pushed here] are they?

brant
    Free Member

Gotta love them journos, still they are not paying them to be negative about products are they so “i finished the ride miserable & ready to give up biking for ever/wanting to stick to [insert wheel size/old standard not being pushed here] are they?

I must dig out a Peugoet review from mbr that I was involved with once.

deviant
    Free Member

Anybody wanting to try this without having to buy a 29er or pay a premium for B+ tyres could just buy some Ryde Trace rims, have your LBS lace them to your existing hubs and then fit conventional 2.4 – 2.5 tyres…most reviews state that the 29mm internal diameter blows tyres out to balloon sized proportions…if you like the effect crack on and go full plus sized, if you dont you can keep the rims and just fit smaller 2.2 – 2.3 stuff instead.

Job done and a whole lot of hassle, time and cost saved.

Paceman
    Free Member

You gotta love the haters on this forum 😉

If some of us have fun riding heavy rigid bikes with oversize tyres then that’s just fine in my opinion, and if the industry jumps on that bandwagon then that’s more big tyres to choose from as there ain’t many at the moment. 😀

rOcKeTdOg

I must dig out a Peugoet review from mbr that I was involved with once.

I think the only review I’d almost trust is by a blogger who used their own money to buy the object & even then you have to take into account them justifying the expense & wanting to like it

takisawa2

29+ on the front of my Niner suits it a treat.
    Some folk seem to think you can chuck a 3″ tyre on a regular rim but needs a wider rim to bulk it out & get the volume. Can imagine a 3″ tyre on a 23mm rim would roll around a lot. Running mine at 15psi.
    Have been looking at options for the back, including getting the frame modified to take a 29+.
    Could just buy a Krampus but I like the Niner too much.

Paceman
    Free Member

Some folk seem to think you can chuck a 3″ tyre on a regular rim but needs a wider rim to bulk it out & get the volume. Can imagine a 3″ tyre on a 23mm rim would roll around a lot.

Absolutely, I know as I tried this before getting 50mm rims.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

There’s a blogger I know who’ll rave about something one week and then call it the biggest piece of crap a couple of weeks later.

Bregante

I for one will be looking to jump on this particular bandwagon. A 650b+ Karate Monkey!!

BillOddie

Bregante, you can get a 29+ in the front of a KM…

29+ front and 650B+ rear? People are doing that with Jones spaceframes too…

Bregante

even betterer 🙂

scotroutes

stevenmenmuir – Member
    There’s a blogger I know who’ll rave about something one week and then call it the biggest piece of crap a couple of weeks later.

Anyone I know?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Might be.

cynic-al
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    …”summer-ise” a fat bike

29 does that.
    [/quote]Not decent sized tyres, not in the back of a fatty anyway & certainly not 29+[/quote]

So by “summer-ise” you meant “fit 3″ tyres on”?

deviant – Member
    If the 2.7 – 3.0 tyres have no more tread width than a conventional 2.4 – 2.5 then B+ will be pointless on anything other than a hardtail and then only for comfort reasons…

Not at all, you’ll be able to get more grip from the same tread, even if it’s not idea.

deviant – Member
    most reviews state that the 29mm internal diameter blows tyres out to balloon sized proportions

Those are some fancy new clothes, Emperor!

rOcKeTdOg

Yep, or less

deviant
    Free Member

Those are some fancy new clothes, Emperor!

Exactly my point about B+ being pointless, the tread width on the tyre from WTB for example is no wider than an existing 2.4 – 2.5 tread pattern…if you just crave the balloon effect then a 30mm rim that will fit in most poeple’s existing bikes (and take a normal tyre if you dont like it) will suffice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm I disagree – even with the same width tread you will be using its full width at lower pressures (on a wider rim) although as it’s no higher you may not be able to run lower pressures.

My point was that no way will a 29mm rim “ballon” any tyre.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You know, you could just buy a procore setup, or ghetto it. Get the same pressures, similar comfort, same levels of traction with better sidewall stability and tougher sidewalls.

But **** logic. Big tyres FTW!

rOcKeTdOg

Tom_W1987 – Member

You know, you could just buy a procore setup, oh ghetto it. Get the same pressures, similar comfort, same levels of traction with better sidewall stability and tougher sidewalls.

But **** logic.

without any of the width and probably cost

scotroutes

Do you have any measurable data to support your assertion?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Do you have any measurable data to support your assertion?

Basic physics.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah, 2.3″ tyres tubeless are the same as 3″ tyres 🙄

scotroutes

Basic physics.[/quote]Cool. Show us your workings.
    2.3″? Why as wide as that? Basic physics says that a thinner tyre is better so, with Procore, we can all run 1.5″ off-road.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Basic physics says that a thinner tyre is better so, with Procore, we can all run 1.5″ off-road.

Basic physics also says a 10 inch wide tractor sized tyre would be comfier.

But yes, the general idea of the system is that you can run narrower tyres and get better levels of grip, suspension performance and comfort.

cynic-al
    Free Member

…and loads of pinch flats.

ajantom

You know, you could just buy a procore setup, or ghetto it. Get the same pressures, similar comfort, same levels of traction with better sidewall stability and tougher sidewalls.

But **** logic. Big tyres FTW!

Are you on some sort of retainer for Pro-core?
    Anyway we’re talking about big tyres, and any thread about big tyres you pop up and say ‘no, they’re crap. Try pro-core’
    If you don’t like the idea of big tyres, just don’t bother posting, I’m getting bored of your whining.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

…and loads of pinch flats.

I believe they were designed to offer better pinch flat protection than tubes and better burp protection than tubeless 😛

Still, we shall see.

devs
    Free Member

Can’t understand what it’s all about. I have a fatbike and a krampus. If people are scared to do the real thing and want to pay for a halfway house then so be it. I can’t see any 29+ users going backwards unless they look up to jimmy krankie.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I was intrigued by this concept when it was first mooted, but seeing the narrow tread and size of the actual tyre, combined with a 12mm BB drop, killed it for me, as my Jones (non EBB version) already has a very low BB.

Devs – the idea is to use the B+ tyres for people who already have a 29er and want a chubbier rear tyre. It’ not intended for 29+ frames or fatbikes.

scotroutes

I’ll not be judging the b+ concept based on one tyre and one persons idea of frame geometry.

Devs – I’d go 29+ if I was your height. I’ve seen too many awkward looking setups from the challenged-of-loft. That’s also rigid though. I reckon even you might struggle with a FS or long-travel 29+er?

jameso

Frc, if you had a 29+ up front and a b+ rear your bb height wouldn’t change much, it’d just slacken the bike. Drjon’s done it to his, not sure if that’s what you’re after tho.

Paceman
    Free Member

If you don’t like the idea of big tyres, just don’t bother posting, I’m getting bored of your whining.

😆 😆 😆

rOcKeTdOg
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘anyone else excited by B+’ is closed to new replies.