Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone done the Rat Race?
  • thebunk

Rat Race Urban Adventure

We did the Saturday running last year, and have signed up for the full weekend this year. Looking forward to it, but not sure what to expect from the cycling element – has anyone done it before? Anyone doing the Bristol event?

Cheers,

thebunk

thebunk

OK, no-one from the daytime – Anyone out of the evening lot then?

psychle
    Free Member

Did the London day one last year and loved it, will be doing the weekender this year. Not much help to you I know! 😆

thebunk

If no-one replies then how will we know what tyres to run?!

petestuart
    Free Member

Did the Sunday in London last year. I ached for days. So so awesome! Considering the Green Belter this year, also did the Horseplay 10k early this year – all by the same company.

richcc
    Free Member

Did the Bristol 9-5 last year. Had a good time though not as 'challenging' as we'd hoped. I think the Saturday evening maybe adds in some interesting extra stuff.

Cycling was mostly on road – left Bristol, went out to Horse Centre outside Brislington(?), cycled up The Tump, down to Saltford then back in Bristol.
    Bikes are the main way of moving between activities. Our non-cyclist suffered but if you cycle at all regularly you'll be fine

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I did Bristol a couple of years ago. You'll have a good time but as richcc suggests don't expect too much interesting (in the technical sense) riding- most of your time on the bike will be spent getting from A to B, so some not-too-knobbly tires are a good bet.

It's a long day out and you'll know it at the end because of the other activities, but you can probably expect to ride about 40 miles- less than 50 almost certainly, and most of that will be on roads or cycle path.

They're great events, must do more… Edinburgh's good if you enjoy this one.

The mighty Deerstalker has been good over the last 3 years, also by the same organisation.

Mintman
    Free Member

I did the Bristol weekender last year and it was brills. Most technical riding was down the atone steps in castle park if I remember correctly. Brilliant fun, being a mountain biker won't necessarily help but bike fitness certainly will. Saturday evening was fun as well but lots of running (if you're not used to it like me)! Certainly no need for anything more than a short travel hard tail. There were people on commuting bikes, racers, hardtails, all sorts really!

NZCol

Great races, well put together, achievable.

Look out for details on some of my new gear in the next RatMag and also in store in the new shop later this year 🙂

thebunk

Crumbs, 40 miles eh? That after the running the day before?

Am doing a 10k on Saturday followed by Cwmcarn on Sunday this weekend, hopefully that'll be some sort of preparation…

aracer
    Free Member

I've done one or two 😉

I think most things have been covered – not much in the way of technical biking, so tyres which roll fast on tarmac pumped up well are normally the best choice. Bike fitness definitely makes a big difference though – there is plenty of time to be won or lost out there. You'll also get plenty of running on a Sunday – most of which is normally off-road, so take some running shoes with plenty of grip and consider riding in them rather than carrying them and switching. Bring your brain – not only to navigate, but also to complete the challenges. Planning and prep is also essential – I always used to do late night map marking, but I think they've now changed the format so you only get the instructions in the morning.

NZCol

It was pointed out to me last night that the list of 'activities' for XPD includes 'Wheelbarrow'. I mean wtf. I put up with inline skating in Primal Quest despite almost finishing me off but Wheelbarrow. And ocean rafting, thats called 'being shipwrecked' is it not ?
    Anyway, i fly out tomorrow morning see you in a couple of weeks slightly more brusied and battered, tired but hopefully happy ! Details HERE

aracer
    Free Member

Nothing worse than an "adventure racer" complaining about a race including things other than the normal run of the mill activities 😉

NZCol

I'll take the ocean rafting as thats what paddling a Saveloy is like in the ocean (memories of a 9hr ocean paddle in the 2007 race …) but Wheelbarrow. I could do that in my own lounge ! Should be a giggle though.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but in Rat Races I've done things like marching to the instructions of a Sergeant Major, running across upturned Topper dinghys, traversing round the side of a ship on a half-underwater rope, doing a "Apprentice" style interview/presentation and pushing a Smart car. That lot is carefully selected from just Bristol Rat Races (where the OP's going) – have done all sorts of other stuff in Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham and London.

thebunk

Thanks for your help and tips guys!

el_creedo
    Free Member

Do the Edinburgh one – if for no reason other than getting to cycle down the god-knows-how-many steps from the Royal Mile to Waverley Station!!

Also great fun running amoc around such a beautiful city. Fully recomended. The running is not my thing, but it's manageable – might mean you're a tad achey for the bike riding the next day, but it's all good fun.

Highlights for me – abseiling down a glass building opposite the new parliament and a free abseil off the roof of Murrayfield Stadium! oh yeah – and doing an impression of Sean Connery's Bond in a swanky flat, beermat flipping at a nice pub in Bruntsfield, spacehopper race with fecked legs, and caning about 6 cans of free red bull whilst waiting for our go at one of the challenges.

Do it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done the Rat Race?’ is closed to new replies.