Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Anyone done the 3 peaks CC?
  • Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Don’t use studs in your shoes, not long ones anyway, it’s mainly rocky under foot, the only grassy bit really is Simon Fell which has ‘steps’ in the grass from everybody else walking anyway.

Don’t use shoes that are overly stiff either, my normal race boots are Specialized S-Works but they’re so stiff I’ll use my old Scott shoes instead.

I use 1 bottle cage with bottle, drink it on road sections and pick up another at the foot of every hill, you might want more fluid however as I aim to be done in 3:10 or less.

I use 34/46 with 11-36 Sram 10 speed cassette and mid cage mech.

Do think about using chicken levers, not because you can’t ride in the drops but because you will get neck ache after a while from trying to look up. I also throw another headset spacer under the stem for the same reason.

You don’t need pipe lagging if you carry the bike properly, most people seem to hang it from the top tube/seat tube junction on their shoulders, you should have the bike much nearer the head tube with your arm taking the weight.

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t count on support; the further down the field you are, the longer it takes anyone supporting you to get there, get parked, get stuff out of the car, and get to where you are. The rules regarding helpers are strictly controlled, and you can get DQed for them messing about.

Have a drink before you set off, even if it makes you need a wee, just wee while walking.

I use about 1000mls in a camelbak style thing; enough for it to be empty halfway up the last hill.

Bottles are easy to lose too; obviously Blazin doesn’t have that as an issue, but if you are relying on it being there and find it isn’t, you could be sad…

sefton
    Free Member

hmmm…I was hoping my new 34 ring (34/46 – 11-28) would be OK.

Edric64
    Free Member

Getting help at the back of the fieldhas never been a problem
    Gearing wise I am using mtb gearing front and rear so I have loads of low gears to haul myself as far as possible up the last mountain

crikey
    Free Member

I did it last year on 34-28 as my lowest gear. If you can run with your bike, you won’t lose much time if any. The cut-off is quite stark; everyone walks up Simon fell, everyone walks up Whernside, most people walk some of the bottom section on Pen-Y-Gent and all of the top section.

You can buy a Tiagra 10 speed cassette which has a 30 tooth; I might go for that this year, but it won’t make much difference.

sefton
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go around the pennines – I can always get a longer mech and throw some bigger cogs up back at a later date.

Edric64
    Free Member

Run? I find it hard to walk when the cramp sets in

crikey
    Free Member

It’s how fast you are off the bike that makes time up, and being quick downhill.

Edric, that’s why the running uphill with a bike on your back is the most important bit of the training.

This is mine:

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I only have the 36 on the back so I can ride as far up PYG as possible before having to get off and run, I’m more a rider than a runner!

Edric64
    Free Member

Thats the trouble I detest running and always get shin splints then cant run for weeks .Even football training on grass hurts like hell

crikey
    Free Member

The other thing I would suggest is learn to ride in crap weather, everything from what jacket, gloves, base layer, socks and how quick you get through brake blocks can have a say in how well you do.

Last year was fairly tame weather wise, but the first year I did it, I finished with metal to metal braking down P-Y-G.

Edric64
    Free Member

Lets just hope its drier underfoot than last year.I agree with all your points above about kit though

jonba
    Free Member

The other thing I would suggest is learn to ride in crap weather, everything from what jacket, gloves, base layer, socks and how quick you get through brake blocks can have a say in how well you do.

Last year was fairly tame weather wise, but the first year I did it, I finished with metal to metal braking down P-Y-G.

I finished the Kielder 100 in 2011 – I can handle bad weather 🙂

I’d echo the sentiment though its harder to do things with winter gloves on and you can’t reach your jersey pockets with a water proof.
    Little things add up and become real problems when you are cold wet and tired.

boxelder

I finished the Kielder 100 in 2011

Me too, 3P CX is harder…..

cp

What was the secret to getting in?! No invite to complete entry for me 🙁

aP
    Free Member

I thought entries opened at the end of this month so have missed the boat this year. 🙁
    However, it looks like I’ll be riding 3 Peaks USA instead. oohhhh……

crazy-legs

Lets just hope its drier underfoot than last year.

The weather during the event last year actually wasn’t bad but the clag underfoot, especially early on at the start of Simon Fell and then again coming off Ingleborough really did it for me. I wasted so much effort there trying to make up places then blew up big time on PyG.

We are due a biblically wet one though, the last 5 times I’ve done it, it’s never been *that* bad weather wise. One year started off cold and wet but then was blazing sunshine and 20+ degrees by the end.

geman
    Free Member

aP I to missed the entry ..gutted ….american three peaks?what?

done 3p twice ,FWIW on my normal cx race bike no problems ;conti twister 32,s no chicken levers and bottles/camelback and 50/34×12-26 however thick tubes(42,s) pumped up hard no flats so far but plenty of aches after
    no special training just rocked up on the day (4hrs 15 ish)
    would defo do running up hills for serious crack cos simon fell kills me!
    MORE specific training much bigger difference than lower gearing

Edric64
    Free Member

Iron Cross in the USA is their big race

aP
    Free Member

When I’ve ridden 3PCX before I’ve just used my carbon race bike with Tufo tubs (spare wheels on the way round JIC…)
    I know IronCross is the big one but we’re riding Etape Pennines with Nick Stormonth that weekend. Oh, please support Nick – Nick finishes Milan San Remo after stopping chemo

sefton
    Free Member

might do a 3 towers route this Saturday!

Clover

Oooh, interesting, can I come? My ‘training’ went down the pan this weekend what with trying to help clear up after the floods in Hebden.

paul4stones

boxelder – Member
    I finished the Kielder 100 in 2011

Me too, 3P CX is harder…..
    POSTED 1 WEEK AGO #

No it isn’t. Not than 2011 K100 anyway.

sefton
    Free Member

Well I had some chicken levers, LizardSkin bar tape and a 44t ring fitted.

I christened them with a edgworth – bull hill – peel tower ride tonight.

heres some pics:

new bar tape and levers

I decided to shoulder my bike up (what has to be as steep as Simons Fell – I can’t imagine anything steeper anyway)!

views of the horseshoe

Trails along the way

Pilgrims cross

Heres what I think of the changes made to my bike:

Lizard tape – this stuff is great, quite thick and super tacky. It really does take some of the trail buzz away! A good buy but I miss my old yellow tape! 😆
    Chicken levers – I should have put these on ages ago – I’m more relaxed on the tops as I have a break option now. I’m not keen on braking on the hoods as my hands get pinged off on the trails. And constant braking in the drops is very demanding on your back and neck. A very good buy.
    44t front ring – I changed from a 46 but I was used to it within the first mile or so and felt no benefit! (Obviously its easier but like I said I quickly got used to it.

sefton
    Free Member

I also got a nice Salomon backpack for fathersday, its great! not very long so all jersey pockets are still accessible. It has a 1.5l bladder (which is a very nice design). It has a removable waist strap and a little front strap pocket for gels and other nibbles (or camera)! it has a whistle and a few other nice features.

sefton
    Free Member

Oooh, interesting, can I come?

sorry Clover, I might have to rain check this.

sefton
    Free Member

double post 😐

sefton
    Free Member

hows everyone getting on?

Horwich cycling club is putting on a 3 towers ride this sunday

http://nwcca.org.uk/2012/08/horwich-cc-3-towers-cyclocross-mtb-training-ride-2-sept-2012/

theteaboy
    Free Member

Lots of riding but very little off-road on cross bike. Still.

Also doing some carry reps but failing to see the point. It’s not hard – I just get a bruised shoulder! Thinking I might can it, put pipe lagging on and get more running/ riding in instead.

This reminder might be the push I need to get started properly.

Edit – maybe not: stag weekend this wkend!

jonba
    Free Member

Couple of questions – one for the fast lads and one for anyone whos done it before.

I’ll be riding unsupported unless I can find some one elses support crew to help me… Is there water available on route (or feedstations for that matter) . I would like to minimise the amount of water I lug up the first hill.

And for the fast lads – what kind of average speeds where you getting on the road, offroad and on foot. I was going to aim for the magic 10mph for a 4hour time (plenty of give and take in that) but it would be useful to know how slow you were going offroad and on foot.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done the 3 peaks CC?’ is closed to new replies.