Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone done an Etape?
  • 40mpg

I’ve been talked into putting in an entry with some roadie friends for the 2012 version. The website seems rather vague, but entries open on Thursday. Anyone know if this is from Midnight Wednesday or some time on Thursday?

Doesn’t seem to be any statement of entry cost on the website either!

Any other suggestions for getting an entry? Easiest way seems to be through one of the tour companies who pre-buy all the tickets, but hoping to do this on a shoestring.

Any other tips welcomed!

All I need now is to ride my roadbike – lots, and mostly uphill.

crazy-legs

A mate has done it a few times but he’s got relatives in France and speaks fluent French so he uses their address to register. AFAIK, the only way for Brits to do it is to go through one of the Tour operators who have cornered the market and charge a lot more.

If you can find a contact in France to go through, it’ll be a lot easier and cheaper.

will
    Free Member

Did the etape last year. It was amazing and am certainly doing it again this year!

Entries open for the 2012 etape at 00:01am on Thursday the 17th. I waited up last year to get the entry but then the website crashed. Anyway I got an entry early next morning around 8am! Made my own travel and accommodation arrangements no problem!

I’m away when the entries open!! So I’ve got a mate on the job for me lol, he’s also entering. I would enter though you’d love it! Act 2 seems the one to do!

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Yep 2003 Pau – Bayonne.

Check out http://etape.org.uk/ Ron’s training advice was invaluable to me.

Learn how to ride in big groups.
    Stay away from the nutters on the downhills.

Enjoy the training and the big day.

Good luck.

Hi, to be honest I wouldn’t bother with the etape – it’s expensive and there are too many muffins who think they are Lance Armstrong. If I were you I’d do the Marmotte instead; you can sign up on the day, it’s cheap, and you don’t have to go via an organised group. And those people going fast downhill aren’t nutters, they are just damn good riders and amazing to watch. Try and avoid a turn on the front mind; you can get carried away – and might need to be literally carried away if it’s hot. The climb up the Galibier is a real epic. Hope this helps.

ourmaninthenorth

Two – 2007, 2009. Both tough days out.

It is a great experience, but not an essential one. I considered giving next year’s a whirl, but mainly because I wanted to get back to the Pyrenees.

Last time I got a entry only place from an operator (at vast mark-up, and just arranged my holiday around it). Previous time was with a tour operator.

I did consider next year’s, but TBH (having done it – there’s the rub), I’d rather spend the same money and a few days col bashing, rather than avoiding fat Americans and the fear of the balai.

EDIT: favourite sportive has been my visits to Belgium for the Tour of Flanders. Now that’s a tough day out…. 😀

aP
    Free Member

The Etape has too many idiot Brits riding it, you should try la Marmotte, or the Maratona dles Dolomites (both of which are ace) or the one I’m thinking of for next year Quebrantahuesos.

ourmaninthenorth

Quebrantahuesos.

Spanish friend has been trying to get me to ride that for a few years. He’s done it – apparently amazing fun.

On my list for next year is the Giro di Lombardia sportive, and then watch the Race of the Falling Leaves the next day.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

What SevenPillarsofIgnorance said

kennyp
    Free Member

I think this year’s Etape is now open to Brits as entry only ie you don’t have to go with a tour group.

And I’m pretty certain you can’t enter the Marmotte on the day. It always sells out well in advance.

aP
    Free Member

Quebrantahuesos has unlimited beer at the finish…
    it’s 205k but only 3500m of climbing so long but not massively climby like la Marmotte.
    I’m also very tempted by Milan San Remo as well but that would have to be a cheeky weekend away without herself noticing I’d gone.

will
    Free Member

Well I got in acte 2. Should be a real epic!

Taz

Done the Etape in 2009

Really glad I did as it is a great event and a good one to have done. That said it is expensive and the finish being often very far away form the start is a real faff.

Did the Marmotte last year and will be doing it again this year. It is a tough event. Enjoyable, well organised and it is great to start and finish from AdH.

These events are great motivation to train & get fit. Will probably aim for 1 a year for a while now

bob_summers

Quebrantahuesos entry is a draw, so you enter any time in Jan and later they pull 10000 names out of a hat. Around double that enter, so if you fancy it, you need a backup plan. Worth a shot though, in my neck of the woods (Basque Country) if you meet a cyclist they’ll always ask you your best time in QH. A lad I rode with did his 22nd this year.

I’ve done La Pyreneenne in France a couple of times, much lower key and shorter than QH at 175km but more climbing… feels harder than QH, I properly broke myself in it this year.

DavidB
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done an Etape?’ is closed to new replies.