Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone doing the King & Queen of the hill Enduro – Glentress?
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

Is anyone booked on for this race next year (22-23rd August)?

I was planning on doing the Vallelujah in March but it’s sold out, so have booked on this instead.

How did you find it last year? I heard it was a long ride with some big climbs betweeen the stages…

It’s 2 weeks after the ‘Ard rock so hopefully the legs will have recovered by then! 😳

Is there any chance of finding a cheap hotel in the area?

Northwind

Booked in for both, should be great…

I didn’t do this year’s but it was fairly similar to the year before. Quite a big day out- it’s not so much distance, as some of the climbing is really hard work (I cramped up on the orrible pushup at Cademuir). Obviously no clue what the stages’ll be mind, but you’d expect it’ll be in the same vein.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Also booked in for both and looking forward to it. I better get some bigger rides in, the last year has been a quiet one riding wise since my daughter arrived.

legend
    Free Member

I heard it was a long ride with some big climbs betweeen the stages…

Not really – around 18k and 3,000ft iirc so nothing wild. Good fun race though

Correction: 18miles and 3,700ft. Don’t remember it feeling that far….

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Sounds do-able then, I was just about at my limit by the end of the ‘Ard rock last year, and I missed a stage out in practice. Hopefully fitness has improved for this next year, I’ll try get some big rides in this winter!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

booked on both. K&Q last year was tremendous! long climbs but big transition times. camp or get a pod at Glentress.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Aye there’s about 500 folk doing it!

Book a hotel now if you want one, but there was plenty camping in the area this year without booking. Space in the pubs for grub too. Course was physically demanding, working on fitness is probably the best way to a better overall result. Overall distance/climbing wasn’t bad but stages had sprints in them.

coogan
    Free Member

Doing them both. Did K&Q last two years, bloody brilliant day. Lots of climbing, but great descents.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Did you all do the full practise lap the day before?

Had my first trip upto glentress last month and noticed I did do one of the 2013 stages on the black route, probably the best trail centre descent I’ve done, loved it! 😀

coogan
    Free Member

Did most of a lap, knew some of the other bits so didn’t bother. When I do the March in, I’ll do a full lap I reckon and never ridden there (where ever it will be) before probably.

legend
    Free Member

yeah did a full lap for practice. Knew all the GT side stuff well but still handy to know where to save energy and where to smash yourself in advance.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yes it was no problem doing a full route on practice. Not a huge day by any mean, only the intensity (and beer) made it a shattered sunday evening.

Diane
    Free Member

I may do it but it will be at my limit for fitness and skill level 😀 Might go last 😕

BoardinBob

I’m in. Probably the toughest day on the bike this year. I did 4 days of practice and racing at the EWS and was no where near as burst after that as I was doing 2 days of practice and racing at the K&Q this year. The transition times are pretty tight.

Looking at my Strava, the EWS was 4 days, 99 miles and 17,257ft of climbing and the K&Q was 2 days, 35 miles and 7,582ft of climbing. I was absolutely burst after the K&Q but fine after the EWS.

moonsaballoon

I have entered both after doing q and k last year . I did a full practice lap on the sat and due to waiting at stage starts had to push a lot harder than i would normally ride to avoid time penalties ( i dont think they were added in the end )meant i was pretty knackered by the end . But i did have 2 really good days on the bike and loved it all . My plan for next year is to be fitter and maybe see about getting a skills course . We stayed at a hotel in inners as the family came down with me , was a really good weekend all round .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone doing the King & Queen of the hill Enduro – Glentress?’ is closed to new replies.