Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone bivvied the West Highlands Way?
  • Teapot
    Free Member

Just curious, and if so how did it go?

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Was going to but reckoned that a youth hostel at around £7 a nite was a better option

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

tented it when it first opened. ok. it’s wild, so noshortage of places to pitch, but gets damp, especially on rannoch moor.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have camped in a few places near the WHW over the years. No issue at all.

ditch_jockey

Did you have any particular issues in mind?

Teapot
    Free Member

No particular issues, except maybe how knackering it’ll be with the combination of riding and sleeping outdoors.

Is three days the right about of time to do it in?

Thinking of doing it solo if that makes a difference.

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Its easily manageble in one, but enjoyable in two. Dont forget the bloody midges if your camping as they can be pretty leathal.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i did.

rode/pushed milngavie to the start of the rannoch moor on the friday – slept near the stream and then got the train home on saturday.

use a comfy saddle if your going loaded.

13thfloormonk

Its easily manageable in one

😯

False modesty? ‘easily’ manageable in one if you find 15 hour days on rocky, often wet terrain, easy.

Three days might leave you with too much time to spare, although on the plus side it might also leave you pitched up outside the Kingshouse, which is a great pub and also has a historic bothy or two nearby. Three days might also result in a slightly underwhelming day one.

I’d recommend two days, although obviously two 75km days is not to be sniffed at (unless you’re dmoffit obviously! 8) )

rabyoung
    Free Member

There’s a couple of open bothies on Loch Lomand side – Rowchoish and Doune, Campsite at Inverarnan – Beinglas – We dossed down in the big shed for a fiver. Train to Fort William the first night and doss out in the forest in Glen Nevis for an early start, got to Beinglas first night (pub selling grub nearby) There’s also holiday wigwams there but they’re busy. Finished it of next day in Milngavie.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

“Easily manageable in one day.” There speaks the voice of someone who has never done it….

13thfloormonk

Dmoffit90 has done it, I remember seeing the pictures etc. Think it was a fast time doing it North to South?

I agree though, if he found it easy though he was doing something wrong 😀

tiggs121
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – I agree!

100 miles on that terrain even in fantastic weather is NOT easily manageable!

As for bivvying – no real problem but there will be distractions ie pubs and hostels!

take your time and enyoy it – no need for the macho sh*t IMHO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bivvied the West Highlands Way?’ is closed to new replies.