Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Anyone been (or know of someone) done for speeding lately?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Aren’t there over half the speed cameras not working in this country? Something on the radio the other day via a FOI that went to all police forces, something about not wanting to maintain them due to cost.

So, seem like these two gonks were in the wrong place maybe half hr later they were switched off.

I’m still very confused about the M1speed limits from Rugby down to the A43 justction, 50mph ave speed and includes cameras but no one gives a toss except me and the other old bloke.. it’s a game surely.. dodge the cameras..

ssboggy

No offence as its a work colleague etc but they are the arseholes who want banning!

^ Yep, he passes another guy I work with who cycles to work and he says he drives like a dick head, he is exactly the reason why the law only allowing 6 points for new drivers was brought in.

Edit

Thing is he could have had a speed awareness course the first time but didn’t send the paperwork back in time so he ended up with 3 points 🙄

wrightyson
    Free Member

So 2 blokes doing 34 in a 30 above, one theoretically fined 330 ish quid more than the other. I’m sorry but that’s just bullshit in my eyes. I can’t see how that’s right no matter what you’re earning.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Is it ok if one pays more tax than the other or is that bullshit too?

wrecker
    Free Member

Loving the forum of cyclists preaching about responsible road use. Quality.

scotroutes

The point of the fine is to be an incentive to make you slow down in future.

If you are earning £10,000 a week then £100 isn’t enough to make you change your mind. If you are earning £250 a week then it might be.

scotroutes

wrecker – Member
    Loving the forum of cyclists preaching about responsible road use

There’s another forum discussing this too?

wrightyson
    Free Member

One gets a driver awareness and one a fine?

DezB
    Free Member

wrecker –
    Loving the forum of cyclists preaching about responsible road use. Quality.

What this mean? Cyclists aren’t responsible road users??

wrecker
    Free Member

What this mean? Cyclists aren’t responsible road users??

Some are, some most definitely aren’t. Probably similar percentage to drivers really, but if the police started fining them for improper cycling especially linking it to salary they’d be going apeshit. But as it’s currently aimed at drivers, it’s all “drive responsibly”. Look at the outcry at the courts recent decision of locking that **** up and brining in a new law.

ads678

One gets a driver awareness and one a fine?

I didn’t get fined, I was offered the speed awareness course. The letter I got said 10%+9mph and you get offered the course. So 42 in a 30 should still see you offered the course rather than a fine.

Unless of course you have already done a course in the last 3 years….

maxtorque

Sandwich
    Not harsh enough if there were operatives in the work area. It’s a simple concept if it says max 50 don’t exceed this and be prepared to travel slower than this

Indeed, it’s been proven many many times that it’s impossible to hurt or kill someone if you are not actually speeding……… /sarcasm-mode

Despite the over simplified one-dimensional nonsense the government likes to trot out speeding doesn’t kill. Driving like a numpty kills, and speeding is only one (small) part of the much bigger, much more complex picture.

scotroutes

Speeding obviously doesn’t kill. It’s the stopping what does it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

No but John x2 dis and he was doing the same as you 34 in a 30 according to your two posts. He got a 400 quid fine you got the awarness course.

jimjam
    Free Member

Could this be a last minute effort to get a bit more cash from motorists before gps controlled level 4 autonomous cars come in? Could it be foreshadowing tiered speed limits for different grades of car?

chinrub emoji.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So 2 blokes doing 34 in a 30 above, one theoretically fined 330 ish quid more than the other. I’m sorry but that’s just bullshit in my eyes. I can’t see how that’s right no matter what you’re earning.

As a cyclist, I personally couldn’t care if it’s fair or not. The higher the fine the better IMO. I think they should implement a three strikes then you have to redo your test. Soon sort the arseholes out.
    I’ve never been done for speeding as I’m near enough a perfect driver, it’s a shame the roads are choc-a-bloc with people who can’t driver properly though.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

The bloke who got the £400 fine would have refused the offer of a course and/or refused the offer of a £100 fine and 3 points. If you don’t admit your guilt at the early stage then you go to court where the fine and points can be significantly higher hence he got a £400 fine as they then take your income into account.

Caher

Coming down the M6 the other day there were temporary signs saying 50 whilist the gantry signs said 60.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Doesn’t read like that as he expected a 100 quid fine. I’m not defending either as such, but there is way too much disparity across different counties etc. Seems to me which beak you get on the day if you go to court can also have a big difference on the fine.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Sandwich
    Not harsh enough if there were operatives in the work area. It’s a simple concept if it says max 50 don’t exceed this and be prepared to travel slower than this

Whilst I agree with the sentiment there is one problem. There never are people working. I struggle to recall any time i’ve driven through motorway roadworks and there be actually anyone on them let alone working. No matter what time of day or night i’ve Driven through them. Anyway that’s an aside.

I worry about the assumed linkage with what people earn and their ability to pay. There is a huge difference between someone earning say £60k who has a family to support and a single person earning the same. So the ‘pain’ is not necessarily the same for 2 people earning the same salary. Earnings is a very poor indicator to how rich someone is…. at least until you get into the realms of those earning properly high salaries.

whitestone
    Free Member

Despite the over simplified one-dimensional nonsense the government likes to trot out speeding doesn’t kill. Driving like a numpty kills, and speeding is only one (small) part of the much bigger, much more complex picture.

The thing is, it’s a message aimed at one dimensional numpties, they can’t understand two dimensions 🙄

spekkie
    Free Member

So, if you have a family to support, think about them when you’re driving and def don’t get yourself a speeding fine!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There is a huge difference between someone earning say £60k who has a family to support and a single person earning the same. So the ‘pain’ is not necessarily the same for 2 people earning the same salary

Lol! £60K, you having a **** laugh?!

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Seems to me which beak you get on the day if you go to court can also have a big difference on the fine.

Not at all. There are very defined guidelines on what your fine will be. The only factors taken into account are the speed limit, your speed and your income. Magistrates aren’t able to go outside these guidelines.

GrahamS

if the police started fining them for improper cycling especially linking it to salary they’d be going apeshit

Because it would be massively disproportionate?

Drivers kill or seriously injure more than 24,000 people a year in the UK. Cyclists don’t.

(I’m not particularly against enforcing cycling laws)

wrecker
    Free Member

Because it would be massively disproportionate?

And fining someone £400 for doing 6MPH over the limit isn’t?!?!

GrahamS

Depends what they earn.

ads678

Johnx2 doesn’t actually say if he was offered the course or he’d already done one though. So he might not be entitled to a course. He might already have 6 points.

I got caught in Lincolnshire, but live in Leeds, the course is £17 cheaper in Leeds.
    Apparently if you caught in Dorset you have to do the course in Dorset. It’s the only county that makes you do that.

wrecker
    Free Member

Depends what they earn.

OK how much do you think would be a fair fine for a cyclist RLJ-ing or speeding or cycling the wrong way up a OWS or riding irresponsibly on a shared use path? I see this stuff every single day I go into the office. having previously been a huge proponent for cycling and its advocacy, I have had a gutfull of hearing the bleating and the selective application of the law.

johnx2
    Free Member

Unless of course you have already done a course in the last 3 years….

I had. And obviously pleaded guilty but wasn’t offered options.

Sure I’m pissed off with £400 for 34mph but mean it when I say mustn’t grumble. Didn’t lie on the form and two professional salaries, no mortgages and kids away is likely to have put us in the top band, berlingo notwithstanding. Queried this with the court, and had it all confirmed.

Only good thing is my wife was actually in the car at the time, so wasn’t going to accuse me of driving like a nutter.

Just to be clear – of course those who can pay more should do so. This is a Yorkshireman not complaining…

GrahamS

Wrecker:
    RLJing – same fine as a car.
    Speeding – not an offence.
    Wrong way – tricky as it may often be safer than a busy parallel road and is often sanctioned by cycling infrastructure.
    Riding irresponsibly on shared use – dickish but also not an offence.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

OK how much do you think would be a fair fine for a cyclist RLJ-ing or speeding or cycling the wrong way up a OWS or riding irresponsibly on a shared use path?

😆

Seriously? Who’s gonna fine cyclists? Who even gives a shit? Why do you give a shit considering you’re on a cycling forum?

I see cyclists being irresponsible everyday, kids pratting about on BMXs, there’s one guy who cycles past me on the pavement on his way home from work. Why does it matter?

Police can’t catch the arseholes who speed or drive through amber lights or use their phones when driving, so to worry about what cyclists are doing is laughable.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Is it only for speeding that these fines are applied, or does it include other motoring offences?

Wayne Rooney only got fined £170 quid for drink driving…

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been (or know of someone) done for speeding lately?’ is closed to new replies.