Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone baked a cake for 40 people?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Is it possible in a normal kitchen? I’m fine with baking, just never considered the logistics of such a thing before.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab has done a few multilayer wedding cakes in a normal kitchen.
    Can you stack it? Tile them and ice over?

breadcrumb

Does it have to be one cake? Can’t you just bake 5? (Assuming one cake can serve 8?)

trevron73
    Free Member

I would do multiple cakes if i was at home i.e 5x 8 ” by 8″ cakes ? I made the Birthday cake for the King of Malaysia four years in a row when i lived in London. One year it was for 400 now that was a headache ? It would not go in a black cab so we had to van it round to his gaff.

nick1962
    Free Member

My sister makes cakes from home for a living, mainly wedding cakes so yes it’s easily doable.She’s got a double oven now but managed for years with a regular one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wrong bloody forum..

I would stack 4 normal round cakes, but cutting would be tough. I suppose you can get the tier platters and columns like wedding cakes.. but really you’d want a big cake tin to make one big flat one. It’s a kids birthday party and I don’t fancy paying for a shit cake when I can make a nice one.

Does a big flat cake tin, say 12 or 15 inches work in a normal oven? Too close to the sides?

Having said that, I’m told a nasty cake from Costco is only £10 and I’m not sure I could buy the ingredients for that never mind a suitably large cake tin..!

andyl
    Free Member

piece together a load of square ones? Could use different colour/flavour sponges to make it a feature and glue them together with something tasty.

chaos

Two big round cakes for the wheels, one small for the front chainring and a square one cut up for the frame pieces?

Worth getting some ready made sugar paste in various colours for the base icing then do the clever stuff yourself. It’s not the tastiest stuff in itself but doesn’t detract much if the cake and filling are decent, and it’s a lot easier to work with.

Note: am no expert myself, just a keen tester of my wife’s amazing train/ship/hello kitty/etc shaped cakes

Northwind

My grandad would have said…

…not worth the hassle. Get something from tesco. Bastard never baked us a cake like that 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

It’s a kids birthday party and I don’t fancy paying for a shit cake when I can make a nice one.

The kids won’t care! As long as there is lots of sugary icing, that is. 😉

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Cupcake tower? No slicing required

trevron73
    Free Member

I once made a croqumboche 3 tower cake for 180 using profiteroles filled with 3 flavours , it took 2 of us 19 hours .it was glued together with caramel and it burnt the shit out of me him and the floor we charged £1200 for it it looked and tasted awesome .it scarred me mentally so much that i have not made one since .

z1ppy

😯

jamesy01
    Free Member

Trevron73…you are a masterbaker…

Yak

12″ square tins fit fine in normal ovens.
    That will do 40 kids as its just shy of 2″ square per piece. So a nice easy single bake.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I made a carrot cake that served 25 once, since then I’ve discovered a lady locally who does the same size for about 20 quid. This way I don’t actually get to see how much oil, sugar etc goes into the cake, so I can eat it guilt free!.

And it frees up the whole morning that the cake took me last time.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone baked a cake for 40 people?’ is closed to new replies.